Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Chief__
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Sep 2009, 11:09 am

What are the expected achievements of someone in college with this kind of iq?Is it considered retarted?How slow is someone with this kind of iq?Is it really low?Is it in the hfa spectrum?

Peko
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2009, 11:43 am

I think mentally ret*d is technically an iq of 60. I'd guess someone w/ an iq of 82 would probably struggle with college work (undrestanding the readings, writing "professionally"/like a college student, math, etc.) Look at this link:

http://www.assessmentpsychology.com/iqc ... ations.htm

Turns out "MR" or "Extremly Low" is 69 and under. So iq of 82 is "Low average" (could go to college but will most likely be a struggle to keep up/take easier & or fewer courses per semester to keep a descent average).

Maggiedoll
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2009, 11:57 am

Didn't you say that when you took the test that got you that score, you were sleep deprived?
Maybe you should take some other tests and try to get a more accurate picture of your IQ before trying to plan your life as though you have an IQ of 82.. It doesn't matter what the intellectual abilities of a person with an IQ of 82 are if you got the score when you were barely awake, because the score wouldn't reflect your actual intelligence anyway.
You've been writing a lot of posts about what could be expected of somebody with that IQ score, it seems like it's really bothering you, but if it's not an accurate score, it doesn't matter much.
Also, people with AS are frequently very imbalanced in levels of different types of intelligence, so IQ scores mean less anyway.

Chief__
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Sep 2009, 12:35 pm

when i was in army the commisioner used to say"shave him,tie his shoelaces,i don't punish you because of stupidity"

zena4
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2009, 12:47 pm

Dyspraxia is not stupidity, it's... dyspraxia.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2009, 1:18 pm

Heh, yeah, plenty of clumsy smart people out there.

With an autistic person, I wouldn't even really predict much at all about what the IQ meant because in general, your skills will be scattered all around, from way below your personal average to way above.

I might be able to predict something if you had said, "It's 82 and all my subtests are near that same percentile," but that doesn't happen very often when you test an autistic person. So let's say one score was way below whatever percentile your 82 represents; some other score would've had to be way higher than that to make up for it. That's different from somebody who tends to stick pretty close to average and it's practically to be expected with an autism spectrum diagnosis.

I dunno how many times I've cautioned people against trying to predict what an autistic person can do based on their IQ score. It really just depends on where your personal scatter puts your strengths, how well you can use them, how good your environment is, and whether people are willing to give you a break in common-sense ways so you can use the strengths.

Incidentally, for people who are at 82 without any scatter, college can be possible but isn't chosen by many; employment tends to be unskilled to low-end skilled, the sort you learn in a few months to a year (for example, a nurse's aide). But you can't say that for an autistic person, because they might have extra challenges that makes even unskilled work very difficult (heck, that happens with autistics who have genius IQs), or they might have extra skills that makes them perfect for a skilled job (for example, someone with very good visual-spatial skills and a special interest in the area might become an architect--which takes four years of education--despite technically having a low-average IQ).

It is completely unpredictable and you simply cannot trust the number. You need to look at instead what you are good at, bad at, and fascinated with, and work with that instead of insisting you must have particular skills and no more or less just because your IQ got measured at a certain level.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

otto9otto
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Sep 2009, 1:21 pm

Just google the term "n-back". There are lots of sites on the 'net to play this game for free. It has been proven to raise IQ and short-term memory. Also see my post on Shuzak on substances that will help.

UnusualSuspect
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Sep 2009, 1:32 pm

It makes more sense to look at high school grades and how difficult that was, than worry about IQ. College is somewhat harder than high school, so if the person had a very hard time in high school and had to work their butt off just to keep up, then college is probably going to be very difficult. But taking less than a full credit load would help. Slow doesn't necessarily mean stupid.

mgran
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2009, 2:31 pm

I wouldn't worry about it at all. You've written over and over again about this issue, and I really don't believe that the score reflects anything other than how tired you were on the day.

For example, my IQ scatters across 65 for Visual Sequencing, which is incredibly low, through 83 for non verbal reasoning, also very low, to 127 for mathematics, reasonably high (considering I'm dyspraxic and dyscalculic this was a pleasant surprise) 113 for visual memory (again, higher than I expected with my dyspraxic tendencies) and 159 and 160 for academic knowledge and language respectively.

The result of this wide scater is that I came out with an IQ of 118. Other IQ tests I've done have had me score over 150, and one IQ test I did had me score as low as 50. (I was a kid at the time.) It didn't make a blind bit of difference what the IQ scores said. I've always been good at the things I'm good at, weak at the things I'm weak at, and I learned in the end to play to my strengths.

Being clumsy, or having dyspraxia doesn't mean you're stupid. Getting a poor result in an IQ test doesn't mean your stupid.

We're autistic, these tests weren't designed for people with our kinds of minds anyway. You did badly in an NT test. So what?

They look at my test and think half my brain is dead. Who cares?

You're fine. Don't worry about it.

protest_the_hero
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2009, 3:16 pm

Under 85 used to qualify for mild retardation in the US. This was about 1/6 of whites and 1/2 of blacks according to statistics. Seeing as it was so common, you obviously wouldn't have been seen as severely disabled just for that IQ. Now it's 70. I wouldn't think someone with an IQ that low could ever get into College, especially if without affirmative action on your side. If you did, either you made up well for whatever exactly the test measured, or the test was bogus for whatever reasons.

30 Sep 2009, 3:55 pm

82 isn't ret*d. It's borderline.

In 1992, they lowered the IQ to 70 to be considered MR. Before that it was 80 which was that way since the 1950's so who knows what the MR range used to be at. 99?

I think they might have some difficulty but they be so close to normal you might not even guess they are borderline. You might think they function like a teen and you might tell a little bit they have some retardation in them. My parents thought my first ex was ret*d because of problems he had with simple things like remembering how to get to places but I think he was just full of it because he kept finding excuses to not do any solutions and the fact he didn't know which street to cross to get to the store and everyone says that was just stupidity. People at work thought if he was on drugs or something and my parents thought he is really that ret*d, literally. No he just didn't want to admit his mistake and how dumb he was so he would rather pass it on me. Maybe me calling him stupid for that made it harder for him to admit his mistake.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2009, 4:19 pm

Oh, definitely--somebody who is actually mentally ret*d, learns about himself and works with what he's got, will outperform an average guy who makes excuses and doesn't try to learn. Every time. That's the wisdom versus intelligence gap, and there are a lot of people with high IQs who can't use them because they are not very wise. I think actually that wisdom, not intelligence, is what most people are thinking about when they say somebody is "dumb". By Wisdom, I mean the ability to step back from your life, define the problems and the advantages you have, look at them honestly, and take steps to learn from your mistakes, compensate for your weaknesses, and use your strengths. The lack of that ability, or the lack of desire to acquire it (yes, part of wisdom is recognizing you have a lack of it and taking steps to learn how to increase it) seems to be the thing that makes people make the same mistakes over and over again, while generally blaming someone else and never trying anything different.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2009, 7:49 pm

Its fiction, but I believe in the movie Forrest Gump he was rated at 75. And he did rather well in life.

zen_mistress
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2009, 4:17 am

My fathers iQ is 81. He has a History degree, worked as a teacher for 18 years. He is very good at theoretical thinking and reasonably good at maths but his short term memory is very poor so it takes him longer to do sequential things. I have many of the same problems as him. My IQ is 91 and I have a biology degree. Having a slow processing speed doesnt mean anything, IQ tests measure a limited amount of intelligences and dont account for those who process things differently.

Taking a break.

Aspie4u
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

01 Oct 2009, 11:34 am

It deepens on your level such as reading or math. I have an associate degree and that's how far I got. But I'm mopping floors today. You still need math and know how to sentence structure. I have to AS and LD together. No, I can't see how anyone with an low average IQ can compete against with those people who have higher IQ. I had to get help from the MR/DD chapter in my state. Nurse Aid? People with AS would have a hard time with that because they can't look at people in the eyes or have a hard time with socializing with them.

I did not get Special Education when I was young, so I guess it depends on that.

Chief__
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Oct 2009, 12:46 pm

zen_mistress wrote:
My fathers iQ is 81. He has a History degree, worked as a teacher for 18 years. He is very good at theoretical thinking and reasonably good at maths but his short term memory is very poor so it takes him longer to do sequential things. I have many of the same problems as him. My IQ is 91 and I have a biology degree. Having a slow processing speed doesnt mean anything, IQ tests measure a limited amount of intelligences and dont account for those who process things differently.

so your father is borderline retarted?how someone with that kind of iq functions?