Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

marimaven
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 Jan 2010, 4:26 am

Hi Everyone,

I've been reading the boards and I thought I would ask for some advice. Any ideas, thoughts, or comments would be appreciated.

luvntiedye
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Jan 2010, 5:39 am

Listen Honey, "experts" :roll: are seldom experts-- they're usually some of the the most ignorant of Autism issues. I think it's because they're expected to cover all the craziness issues, too. Really, Autism needs to be studied apart from the rest because it's its own thing. In the case of my kids, I had to literally go through the DSM-IV description line by line with the "experts" to show that they do have Autism. By the time I was done no one could argue.

Basically what I'm telling you is this: you must diagnose yourself, because you are the only real expert on you. Do what I did if you have to. Go to your public library and get books on the subject-- empower yourself with knowledge!

I think you already know that you are Aspie, though. It sounds like it to me. And hey, if that's the case, be happy! Here is your answer, and now you can find out how you can work with it instead of against yourself. There's not "something wrong" with you, just something unique. There's certainly nothing wrong with that, and you don't need others' approval to know it.

musicboxforever
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2010, 6:13 am

I relate to alot of that. I find it hard to know how to react in certain situations. For example, the girl I sit next to at work was upset because she had broken up with her boyfriend. I didn't know what to do or say. So I just listened to her. I couldn't relate because I've never had a boyfriend, so I didn't know what to say. And i didn't know what level of comfort was appropriate.

My parents have problems with this too. I had a nurse in the house for a home visit after an accident I had. She was re-dressing my wound and I had a bit of a meltdown and started howling with tears. My Dad was sat at the other side of the room watching. I know that he didn't want me to be hurt or unhappy, but he didn't know how to express it. The nurse eventually shouted at him "Comfort her for goodness sake!" and he came over and put his arm around me.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2010, 7:04 am

Welcome to WrongPlanet. :)

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2010, 8:08 am

Welcome to WrongPlanet!

Tim_Tex
Veteran