Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

Hermier
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Feb 2010, 12:23 pm

8O As soon as I looked in the rear-view mirror and saw my hair, I knew I had to go back in and fix it a little because..... you know in those movies like Oliver! the old hag ladies, how their hair sticks out everywhere b/c it's all tangled up & messed..... I was on my way to meet someone for the first time, and I realized they would definitely not be getting the first impression I wanted to convey, unless I did something with my hair.

Turned around to go back home and as I'm getting out of the car someone calls out "Hey!" I looked around, finally I saw the guy in the next house standing there in his driveway so I said "Me?" (witty I know)......

He started walking over to me, so there was nothing to do but walk toward him. This is also someone I never met before, my new neighbor. Never met him yet since we have just moved into this house a couple of months ago and it is winter here. Had to look him in the eye, shake hands, smile, talk with him etc. and I had also just been eating chocolate/chocolate newman-o's, which really stick to your teeth, yuck. (realized afterward) I also was starting to run late for meeting the other person & still had to go in & brush my hair (enough to be able to hide it in a bun) anyway, so I either interrupted him or just ignored what he said, and I started talking really fast about where I was going :roll: who I was meeting, and that I was running late actually but it was really important for me not to be late because XYZ and I had forgotten something in the house but really have to run.....

This was true, but (a) I probably could have backed away super-gracefully after a two or three minute chat (especially b/c it's cold out these days) and (b) he probably didn't want to know about where & was going & so on - he sure didn't ask :? But I wasn't really in "people mode" yet - just out of bed, early appointment, and the person I was on my way to meet was the first person I planned to see that day, so I thought I had about 15 minutes more of "alone" time in the car. Also was a little down on myself b/c I was in the car on my way out into the world of public places & other people, and I hadn't even managed to look in the mirror first, which I usually do. That's kind of a mess-up since I can get kind of crazy looking when I'm home alone....

For me it's easier & I do much better interacting with people if I know about it, a little bit beforehand. Out in public, I'm ready for meeting people, but not in my driveway... my former driveway yes, (it's a different type of neighborhood) but not this driveway, where I have never seen another person since I have moved here, except if they were visiting me, or passing in a car.

I think it's ironic that I met someone for the first time, in the middle of racing back home to fix my appearance because I realized I was too messy-looking to meet someone else for the first time.

But it got me thinking about other first impressions I have given people over the years, & some of them are pretty funny.

What wonderful (or not-as-wonderful) first impressions have you made?