Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2014, 4:34 am

I keep hearing about people here having super great and useful talents. I barely have any talents. The one talent I do have is not even that useful. My talent is nearly perfect spelling. I think that talent is pretty much useless in the age of spellcheckers. I recently got tested. Everything was in the average range, but spelling. I just don't care. Why can't I have a talent that is useful?

Norepinephrine
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Feb 2014, 4:44 am

Superfluous talent > No talent

Besides, I'm sure near-perfect spelling still has its uses in this day and age. You can't rely on spellcheck while taking notes or filling in everyday documents. And I probably would have misspelled a couple of words composing this sentence without the aid of spellcheck. Just sayin'.

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2014, 4:54 am

Norepinephrine wrote:
Superfluous talent > No talent

Besides, I'm sure near-perfect spelling still has its uses in this day and age. You can't rely on spellcheck while taking notes or filling in everyday documents. And I probably would have misspelled a couple of words composing this sentence without the aid of spellcheck. Just sayin'.

I really hate writing stuff by hand, so that makes my "talent" even more useless.

Veedz
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

23 Feb 2014, 5:55 am

The talents have their drawbacks. Sure I may be able to hear things others can't, but it sucks when you can hear people in another room talking about you. I also have a photographic memory. It comes in handy but when I get asked a question, I tend to ramble on about the subject to the point people lose interest & I get a feeling like some of my friends hate the fact that I have the information that I do. Almost like they resent me for being smart.
Be happy with your spelling talent. I am. Most people can't spell or know which word is grammatically correct for their sentence. Give it some time. Your talents will show themselves or become enhanced to the point where you realize you had them all along. Don't search for your skills. Let them find you. Like the saying goes...a watched pot never boils.

Zodai
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2014, 6:48 am

It's not so much the talent, as opposed to how you use and improve on it.

'Perfect Speller' might actually be a starting point for 'bestselling author' some years down the road. Innate talent is useful and all, but it's only a piece of the puzzle.

Author/Writer

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2014, 7:33 am

If you spell that good, you probably also have a strong eye for detail, - and logic. That is definitely a useful talent in many trades.

GivePeaceAChance
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2014, 7:37 am

perfect spelling is fantastic - spellcheckers get it wrong by changing the word to the wrong word or just not being able to figure out that a word even exists so it tells you it is wrong (I get this all the time when I use vocabulary the checker does not know)

plus it allows you to do stuff in social media and not worry about judgement, spell checkers are rarely used there.

my talents my be impressive (math) but when people see it, they just either make fun or rant about how much they HATE math or how I am silly for loving what I do. In other words, advantages and disadvantages to everything

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2014, 7:49 am

Jensen wrote:
If you spell that good, you probably also have a strong eye for detail, - and logic. That is definitely a useful talent in many trades.

I don't. I've done the embedded figures test and I sucked at it. I'm more of a holistic thinker, unless I'm obsessing.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2014, 8:07 am

I don't have any talent per se.
But I don't have any plans to become a performer anyways.

corvuscorax
Toucan
Toucan

23 Feb 2014, 8:12 am

Talent is a silly thing anyways. It's hard work and dedication that gets you anywhere. Talent is like a handicap in a race, but it doesn't mean that you're going to win.

"Don't be That One Aspie..."

Marky9
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2014, 8:55 am

Proofreading is not the profession it one was, but is still out there and has migrated into an online service. Who knows, there might be a freelance opportunity in there somewhere. For example:

Click - Link to Example of Proofreading Service

Good luck!

Soccer22
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2014, 9:12 am

You're not the only one. I also don't have talents or passions. I'm screwed in life. I'm a good speller like you, but that only helps me when my mom calls out to me and asks, "how do you spell...?"

How does one feel successful or useful in this world when they don't have talents or passions?