Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

veiledexpressions
Toucan
Toucan

25 Feb 2010, 10:05 pm

I get an odd sensation during the winter, and no NT I ever asked has felt this. So, I thought I'd try asking here.

It happened mainly while waiting for the bus during the winter, or walking at night in the cold. I'd get this overwhelming feeling, mainly in my chest. It was almost like despair. It was a horrible feeling, worse than physical pain. I don't even know how to fully describe it. No one else seems to know what I'm talking about...

csimon
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Feb 2010, 10:31 pm

I think I know the feeling and I think I may be NT. I had it last night as a matter of fact.
My ex-wife described it as being "disconnected" from life. Doesn't matter if people are around or not it feels the same either way.
One thing is for sure ...it is definitely scarey.
How long does yours last?

MorbidMiss
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Feb 2010, 10:41 pm

Maybe it is Seasonal Affective Disorder? A lot of people with it are helped by using a sun lamp just ten minutes or so a day.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2010, 10:44 pm

I get this feeling, quite often. I also have depression, so I think that plays a part in it.

budgenator
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Feb 2010, 11:22 pm

csimon wrote:
I think I know the feeling and I think I may be NT. I had it last night as a matter of fact.
My ex-wife described it as being "disconnected" from life. Doesn't matter if people are around or not it feels the same either way.

What your wife describes sounds more like Depersonalization or Derealization, I had a lot of that and quite strong when my SSRI, celexa, was kicking in, much less often and milder before and after, hence my signature. What veiledexpressions is talking about could be any thing from angina, bronchitis, asthma to an anxiety attack. As cold as it has been lately in Pa, and the frequency of women having atypical angina/heart-attack symptoms, she should seriously consider getting it checked out medically.

veiledexpressions
Toucan
Toucan

26 Feb 2010, 12:02 am

MorbidMiss wrote:
Maybe it is Seasonal Affective Disorder? A lot of people with it are helped by using a sun lamp just ten minutes or so a day.

I thought of that, but it isn't like depression. It is overwhelming, and usually only lasts while outdoors in the cold, especially when it's not very bright. It is just horrible and so intense.

MorbidMiss
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Feb 2010, 12:52 am

Sometimes Depression has physical symptoms. It can feel like lead sitting in your chest.

But perhaps a visit to the doctor is in order anyway. I'm not a medical professional by any means, I just have decent "Google-Fu".

Zombie_Kitti
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

26 Feb 2010, 1:12 am

Yeah I would say Seasonal Defective Disorder -- to battle it theres a special light or go do some tanning

Villette
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Feb 2010, 2:03 am

winter depression is a common problem.

veiledexpressions
Toucan
Toucan

26 Feb 2010, 2:35 am

Depression doesn't describe it. I suppose I'm just odd. It only happens for the short period of time that I'm outdoors in the cold, and only when there is very little light. A few minutes indoors, and I'm fine.

pat2rome
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2010, 8:18 pm

Sounds like a dementor attack :P.

I've never gotten this feeling; the closest I can think of is the few times in my life stress has actually overwhelmed me. Then I feel almost physically sick and like I can't catch my breath.

lyricalillusions
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2010, 10:38 pm

It sounds to me like it probably is Seasonal Affective Disorder. Especially if it happens when you're outside in dreary cold weather. I have the same type of thing, only in the summer. I hate the summer-- it's too bright, there are too many people, there's to much noise, it's too hot, etc. & I always get very depressed during that time of year, especially when I'm outside in it. In the house, I block the sun out & try to keep it cool to keep it from affecting me, but there's nothing I can do about it if I'm outside.

csimon
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Feb 2010, 10:48 pm

budgenator wrote:
csimon wrote:

What your wife describes sounds more like Depersonalization or Derealization, I had a lot of that and quite strong when my SSRI, celexa, was kicking in, much less often and milder before and after, hence my signature. What veiledexpressions is talking about could be any thing from angina, bronchitis, asthma to an anxiety attack. As cold as it has been lately in Pa, and the frequency of women having atypical angina/heart-attack symptoms, she should seriously consider getting it checked out medically.

You're probably spot on correct. The best way I can describe it is like everything around is suddenly unfamiliar maybe? Just very hard to describe. Feels out of sync, disoriented, and lost in your own element somehow. Ungrounded perhaps.
It helps me to get plenty of rest when this occurs.

elderwanda
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2010, 10:52 pm

pat2rome wrote:

Oooh! A good excuse to eat chocolate!! (People not familiar with the Harry Potter books won't get that.)

veiledexpressions
Toucan
Toucan

26 Feb 2010, 11:00 pm

elderwanda wrote:
pat2rome wrote:

Oooh! A good excuse to eat chocolate!! (People not familiar with the Harry Potter books won't get that.)

A dementor attack would be accurate! lol mmm chocolate

Ebonwinter
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2010, 12:07 am

I get an opposite effect I get like a random energy surge started from above my naval when it gets cold enough.

Last edited by Ebonwinter on 27 Feb 2010, 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.