Studies involving ASD kids who were raised with pets?

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

gypsyRN
Toucan
Toucan

24 Mar 2010, 12:02 am

I had been following the oxytocin treatment debate on here awhile ago, and had read quite a few articles.

If you haven't read parts and pieces of it, the premise is this:
Oxytocin is the "feel good" hormone released when we fall in love, hear a touching story, hold a baby, or pet an animal (among other things). There has been a lot of speculation that it can make people "less autistic" by causing them to feel more of a bond to others, and some people are seeking treatment with it.

Then, over the weekend, I heard a piece on NPR about how natural oxytocin release caused by pets (generally dogs) is becoming a medically credible treatment. It can lower blood pressure, lessen pain, increase oxygen levels, and more.

I have now drawn the connection myself between autism, oxytocin, and pets.

Has anyone read or heard of any studies regarding children on the spectrum who have been raised around pets?

Does anyone have any personal experience or thoughts to contribute to whether having higher levels of oxytocin as a child may help a child on the spectrum develop better or more quickly socially?

Avarice
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2010, 2:53 am

gypsyRN wrote:
I had been following the oxytocin treatment debate on here awhile ago, and had read quite a few articles.

If you haven't read parts and pieces of it, the premise is this:
Oxytocin is the "feel good" hormone released when we fall in love, hear a touching story, hold a baby, or pet an animal (among other things). There has been a lot of speculation that it can make people "less autistic" by causing them to feel more of a bond to others, and some people are seeking treatment with it.

Then, over the weekend, I heard a piece on NPR about how natural oxytocin release caused by pets (generally dogs) is becoming a medically credible treatment. It can lower blood pressure, lessen pain, increase oxygen levels, and more.

I have now drawn the connection myself between autism, oxytocin, and pets.

Has anyone read or heard of any studies regarding children on the spectrum who have been raised around pets?

Does anyone have any personal experience or thoughts to contribute to whether having higher levels of oxytocin as a child may help a child on the spectrum develop better or more quickly socially?

Holding a baby sickens me, disgusting things.

Now that that's out of the way, I think they might have something there, whenever I'm around my dog I'm much happier, it hasn't helped me socially though. But it does help me calm down AFTER a social event. Even watching my fish is relaxing.

But no, it doesn't help me in to be social, not at all.

CerebralDreamer
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2010, 5:22 am

I don't think it does any good for social skills, at least not on a feasible level. Still, it could help cope with a lot of the feelings of social isolation, anxiety, and general stress. That's why I have two cats.

cmate
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Mar 2010, 7:18 am

Yes, pets are usually relaxing, and a possible benefit is also that they could be a conversation piece. Not that my son talks about them much, but the fish and guinea pig are at least something he can talk about if someone mentions pets.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2010, 7:21 am

I love babies.

mechanicalgirl39
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2010, 8:18 am

Vlech. Babies are not my thing.

My cat, on the other hand...yup. Warm-blooded, fuzzy, gorgeous. Definitely an oxytocin inducer.

cmate
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Mar 2010, 8:59 am

Babies are nice when they are not screaming, pooping or puking. :)

jamesongerbil
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2010, 10:46 am

I have had pets most of my life, majority of which were gerbils. You can tell from my name and avatar that I like them a lot. So soft and cute. (My two "new" boys are ridiculously soft.) Not so cuddly, though. They've helped me a lot over the years, with isolation feelings and such.
Babies are strange. I have liked a few very much, but holding them is kind of odd. It's a little bit uncomfortable. They tend to be loud... :?

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2010, 10:59 am

I like cats a whole lot. Always have. Raised by them as much as by humans.

As a kid I often tried to hang out with babies because they didn't mind interacting without talking and without the complexities of kids my own age. So whenever my mom's friends had babies she would take me there to meet them.

Having babies is another matter. I wouldn't want them until I was capable of taking care of them. But I couldn't have them for health reasons anyway and am now having screwy enough hormonal issues that I may be sterile anyway. I don't feel much loss though.

ForsakenEagle
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Mar 2010, 11:05 am

I am a dog person myself. I love hanging out with my dog at home. They are so much less stressful to be around than people.

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2010, 11:31 am

I think in a way I was raised by my parents' dogs. I've always had lots of pets and animals were always my special intrest.

skybluepink
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Mar 2010, 12:42 pm

I love my dog except when he's under my feet. Walking with him can be incredibly relaxing and I've discovered that talking to your dog makes you seem friendly to other passers by without your having to actually engage with them. If I'm really feeling antisocial I can put people off talking to me (without being rude) just by talking to my dog in another language.

My son, who has PDD-NOS, finds the dog too bouncy and gets more out of the cat (which just lies there purring while he strokes it). It's a great stress reliever if he's had a tantrum about homework or something. I don't know of any studies about this but there's a film about an autistic boy and his relationship with horses ('The Horse Boy'), and I think the dolphin therapy people
(http://www.planetpuna.com/dolphin-paper ... -paper.htm)
are investigating, though it looks like the sort of research that's intended to justify your conclusions.

As for oxytocin my PDD-NOS son certainly gets calmer and more communicative the more he's hugged but he likes hugs - many kids on the spectrum don't.

CraftyAJ
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

24 Mar 2010, 8:48 pm

ForsakenEagle wrote:
I am a dog person myself. I love hanging out with my dog at home. They are so much less stressful to be around than people.

Ditto....

Dogs don't have complex emotional needs...feed me, pet me, let me out... they "say" everything they need. This I can understand.