Do you wince while reading stuff that you've written?

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Mw99
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2008, 7:57 pm

I used to think that I had low self-esteem and was too harsh on myself, but the other day I randomly read an old post and couldn't help but notice how poorly it was written. As I read the message I thought to myself "wow, this guy can't string a sentence together, is he stupid or does he have some sort of mental disability?" Upon closer inspection, I discovered that the person who had written the message was none other than me! I found solace in knowing that at least my suspicions were confirmed: I can't write.

Do you feel the same way when you read your posts?

Warsie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2008, 8:05 pm

normally that's if other people disapprove of it and I'm arguing with them, etc.

Shidash
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Jun 2008, 8:08 pm

Yeah, I feel that way. I guess it is just how we change over time.

Aalto
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Jun 2008, 8:09 pm

I found some brief old exchanges on a website of mine a few hours ago, which dated from two years ago, at which time I was fourteen. It seems to me that I was having a reasonably good day while exchanging them, but all the same, I barely felt the need to wince as I usually do. It still happens a lot though, and there's probably stuff from just months ago that I could scrunch my face up at. I recently deleted a music review of mine though, because I was getting reports that others cringed at reading it!

I've always experienced it.

Microban
Toucan
Toucan

05 Jun 2008, 8:26 pm

I always do this, It makes me so anxious that I delete alot of old comments on networrking sites such as myspace. :lol:

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2008, 8:54 pm

I used to write music, and do lyrics. Found them after about 10 years...what a pity party...;) I think I was listening to too much Smiths...;)

One way to look at it is to see how much better you do at things now. Gives you a sense of perspective...

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2008, 11:06 pm

I find that there are a lot of Cockneyisms in my old posts, that date back to when I've started out, at WP.

Cheerlessleader
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2008, 11:41 pm

Gah, yes! I sounded so angry and trollish :x

Dart
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Jun 2008, 11:41 pm

I can't read any of my posts without being critical of myself either.

beef_bourito
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2008, 7:10 am

it depends.

sometimes i look back and am impressed with myself because i did a good job of it (i.e. if i was debating something, usually something about cars), but most of the time i feel the same way you do.

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2008, 7:22 am

I don't feel like that. Maybe I am used to reading my writing. I've been writing short-stories since I about 1998 and I still have a couple of things I wrote, so sometimes I am re-reading the texts. I think I wrote just fine for a 10 year old or a 15 year old etc.

The only texts in which I dislike what I wrote are homework tasks. That is because at the time that I wrote them, I didn't know what to write. Which lead to me writing down some utterly stupid things and whatever came to my mind.
But yeah, that's just school work...

Roddanagh
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Jun 2008, 8:22 am

Heh, yes. When I go off on a tangent and don't read it to myself before posting, it's generally pretty obvious that I got distracted somewhere in the middle. >_<

samantca
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Jun 2008, 8:36 am

Yes many times i do. Sometimes i actually find that what i said didnt sound as weird as i thought it did though.