Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

paigetheoracle
Raven
Raven

01 May 2010, 3:25 am

Has anyone seen the Bing search engine advert in the UK? It gives a wonderful portrayal of the associational mind in action as one idea gives birth to another but not in logical, sequential progression i.e. not down the same old path, following a particular idea in detail but flitting from one idea to another. It made me think that maybe we have search engines, not minds?

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2010, 4:05 am

Yes I've seen that advert.I do have an associative memory. I do make connections with things in my head. I mean when I daydream I sometimes have like a long string of stuff like a fractal, a bunch of never ending associations. I'll start thinking of a sheep, then zoom in on the grass which has a butter fly on it and then it's flying with a load of different butterflies and that zooms into a house in the distance and there's a picture of space on the wall so I'm thinking of space etc etc
It's quite fun actually.

Apera
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2010, 10:43 am

Synonyms are nice, but they only get you so far. A search engine will know that boiling water is hot, and that a puppy is a young dog. But it will also think that a hot dog is a boiling puppy.

But they do not have me