Why are so many people here compulsive spenders?

Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Spazzergasm
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2010, 8:53 am

It seems like a really common trait here. Why can't people control their spending habits?

clumsybee
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Jun 2010, 9:01 am

I control my spending habits so much that I've been called a tightwad by a lot of people. But I assume I'm probably in the minority here on this issue because I don't know anybody like me who won't spend more than $10 on a shirt.

Spazzergasm
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2010, 9:05 am

clumsybee wrote:
I control my spending habits so much that I've been called a tightwad by a lot of people. But I assume I'm probably in the minority here on this issue because I don't know anybody like me who won't spend more than $10 on a shirt.

Wow, you're cheap. :P I like buying expensive things, if I like them enough, and have been wanting them for a while, and they're expensive because they're better. But I'm not too impulsive or anything. If there's anything I spend too much on, it's food.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2010, 9:07 am

I control my spending well, before I buy anything I do loads of research on it and, depending on what it is, it'll become my obsession for a bit, and half the fun will be in learning everything about it before I get it :lol:

Lene
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2010, 9:25 am

I can't say I've noticed a trend here :?

pschristmas
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2010, 10:05 am

It's very hard for me to pay attention to it, for some reason. I've tried several times to set up budgets and stick to them. I've tried using Excel and money management software. I've tried balancing checkbook and bills in a ledger. I've even tried the envelope method; nothing seems to work. Either I forget the payments, or I fill out the payment forms and checks and forget to mail them. As for budgeting, it just doesn't seem to work for me. I collect all of my receipts for several months and make out a budget and it looks fine on paper, but in real life it doesn't work. I'm not sure where money goes. Most of my bills are on automatic payments, now, and I still seem to get into trouble. It seems like I'm always just barely hanging on. :?

Sometimes, I think I need a keeper. :(

The thing is, it seems like I was much better at all of this when I was younger. Aren't we supposed to get better at daily living as we age? I'm too young to be senile. :oops:

Spazzergasm
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2010, 10:17 am

Asp-Z wrote:
I control my spending well, before I buy anything I do loads of research on it and, depending on what it is, it'll become my obsession for a bit, and half the fun will be in learning everything about it before I get it :lol:

Same. :D

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2010, 10:20 am

I'm definitely not a compulsive spender. Very frugal.

Ferdinand
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2010, 10:23 am

I hate myself if I spend. However, I would not care if someone else spent my money. I just hate spending it because I feel selfish.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2010, 10:57 am

Compulsivity is a spectrum trait, isn't it?

Metal_Man
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2010, 10:58 am

I hate spending money.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2010, 11:00 am

It's because if I want something, I want it, now.

matt
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2010, 11:19 am

I am the opposite of a compulsive spender.

I usually only spend money on only medical expenses, bills, things which I already normally spend money on, or replacing or fixing something that I already own that's stopped working.

If there is anything I want, I'll think about it for a really long time, like months or years, because I want to buy something so perfect and appropriate that I won't have to spend any more money on it.

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2010, 11:45 am

I have to be careful to stay away from Ebay if I'm in an altered state of consciousness. I once bought a pulp magazine from the 1930's with an H.P. Lovecraft story for US $500. Turned out to be a good investment, but ouch! I don't want to do that again ...

conan
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2010, 11:54 am

i am kind of compulsive. i have a list of things i want to get and i know how to get the right product at a good price but my decision to finally buy it is often quick. i don't think it is the same as compulsive spending though. I can be very frugal and will usually only spend money on things rather than services. something tangible or edible :D I do have quite a high budget for a student and i think i would be more compulsive if i was rich. I would still feel remorse over it though as ultimately i do not feel it is healthy to live that way.

Molecular_Biologist
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Jun 2010, 12:39 pm

I don't keep a budget, but never run into financial difficulties.

With AS, I lead such a limited life, that my spending habits are always lower than what I make without having to make an effort to keep it that way.