How does everybody here handle change?

Page 1 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2006, 5:00 pm

I don't really like changes.

The current change that I'm dealing with, is getting use to a full house, again, after my Parents have came back from their trip to Las Vegas. I love them, but I've gotten quite used to having the whole house to myself, and making my own Dinners, in the Evening. I was able to veg in any room of the house with out feeling uneasy. Now I can't get used to having my Folks around.

The other change is The Death of the Routemaster in London. I don't enjoy facing the reality of that change. I turn to British Nostallgia as an answer to all my Social Troubles, and I spend time in my Bedroom, where my Die-Cast Routemasters are all in my Sight Range. Everybody tells me that I have my Head stuck in the 1950s and 1960s and I take it as a compliment.

Nomaken
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2006, 5:05 pm

I operate on a kind of auto pilot while my brain reorganizes my identity of my life.

moomin
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Mar 2006, 5:26 pm

hi, i'm new to this forum and wanted to reply to this message.
I'm bad with change, like things to stay the same. I agree about the routemaster, i lived in London for 7 years and it's a real shame they've got rid of them. I loved being able to jump on and off when you're not meant to!
When i have to adjust to having people around, i usually hid away and just clam up until i get used to the change.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2006, 6:05 pm

I find change hard to cope with, to be honest.

Scoots5012
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2006, 7:00 pm

Mentally I can deal with it OK, physically, my body dosen't care too much for change. Any major change in my routine will leave me feeling like crap for a few days.

parts
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2006, 7:23 pm

Change is almost always stressful and bad for me . Sometimes it will take days where I don't exactly know what to do there for do nothing.The worst is when its only temporary by the time I get used to it it changes again

Emettman
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2006, 8:04 pm

"How does everybody here handle change?"

For preference, from a place of stability and security.

It's not quite silly. I can handle some change best when I don't have to change lots of things at once. For my last major move, I was fortunate (though it had been what I'd been aiming for) as I changed jobs without moving house, commuting for a while, and then, having settled to that, moved house to much nearer work.

My next move, if it comes, is likely to involve doing both at once. That I wouldn't look forward to, no matter how ideal the prospective final outcome. Too many things to try and account for, anticipate, contingency plan for... The idea that unknown events can simply be hoped to be managed as they crop up does not come easily.

Serissa
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2006, 8:45 pm

One word:

Badly.

AV-geek
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2006, 9:19 pm

I'm not a big one for change either. My parents are getting their kitchen remodeled. I think it's great that mom's getting fancy new cabinets custom built, and some really neat appliances that she's had on her wish list for quite a while. She's getting really excited about it! The problem is that the kitchen is not going to be the same for me. Just the look of those cabinets and her old stove remind me of her great cooking, like the cookies she bakes, holiday meals, and other fun stuff. I have always helped her cook since I was old enough to hold a utinsel in my hand.

While she's always going to cook just as good as she ever did, it's going to feel different, sort of like I am going into someone else's home, and she's cooking there

One of my long-time friends is getting her old kitchen cabinets and appliances to put in his basement. It's definitely going to look odd in his basement, but at least they are going to be preserved and enjoyed.

I'm still attached to their old neighborhood as a whole. It seems like only yesterday that I was riding my bike around up, and down the hills, playing in the woods behind the houses, etc. The neighborhood is changing though. Of course, the kids I hung out with aren't there anymore, and many of the familiar faces have either passed away or moved. One of the most heartbreaking things is my parent's next door neighbor, a great gardener and landscaper, has altzhimers really bad and cannot keep his garden anymore. He always enjoyed showing me how to grow things, and would give me fresh veggies. Seeing his yard in a state of neglect just doesn't seem right!

The whole area is changing too. The mall down the street I hung out and shopped at as a kid was just recently bulldozed. It was a neat mid-century styled place that looked very space-age inside. They're replacing it with an outdoor strip mall with a target, and a Home-depot...it's just not the same, and it's rough going by where the mall was, and not seeing it. I hate to see familiar buildings torn down and replaced, and the landscape totally changed. Makes me feel like I'm in a different place

rajih
Butterfly
Butterfly

22 Mar 2006, 9:57 pm

i like change... i can usually find enough around the house to buy an .88 rubber ball at Wal-Mart.

8O :wink:

Seriously, change puts ugly kinks in my day. i don't handle it very well. my life changed drastically almost two years ago and i'm still dealing with the emotional and physical fallout from that nightmare. (The change in and of itself was a good thing, but it still is haunting me).

Sarcastic_Name
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2006, 10:11 pm

If I have no control over it or don't like the change, I can go a little crazy.

TheBladeRoden
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2006, 11:50 pm

Depends on if things change for the better or worse.

Geoffrey
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Mar 2006, 11:53 pm

It's a short trip from riding the waves of change to being torn apart by the jaws of defeat.

When the winds of change blow hard enough, the most trivial of things can become deadly projectiles.

AspieChavette
Butterfly
Butterfly

23 Mar 2006, 1:57 am

I can't be dealing with no change man. I'm just proper funked out when something goes and knocks my routine off balance. I like to know what I'm in for for the day. No surprises.

odeon
Toucan
Toucan

23 Mar 2006, 4:07 am

Not well.

Brainsforbreakfast
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

23 Mar 2006, 8:47 am

I can handle changes better than when I was younger, but there is still that mental blindness when sometime is lying somewhere else and you just can´t find it, even though its just under your nose :)