do you have neurofibromatosis nf
yes 11%  11%  [ 1 ]
ni 89%  89%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 9

MONIQUEIJ
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2010, 8:13 am

i search up NF and some parents said that because they have NF some doctors told them thats why there kids have autism. and something about 60% of kids with NF is on the spectrum for autism. i also have NF and i believe i have autism tendencies trying to get tested but it so hard to fine a Dr. and my NF is very mild to the point when i was watching the TLC tree man and a guy came on with NF in i said i have that my cousin look in :roll: at me. i swear people make me sick when they do that to me, same way when i told my friend i may have autism she go, no you talk.

darn off topic so do anybody have nf

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2010, 4:59 am

an interesting conjecture. i wonder how mildly NF can manifest itself?

MONIQUEIJ
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2010, 8:09 am

auntblabby wrote:
an interesting conjecture. i wonder how mildly NF can manifest itself?

well with me in only have the cafe spots.

Mysty
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2010, 9:30 am

Tuberous Sclerosis is similar to neurofibromatosis, and with that, too, it's common to also have autism. The thing is, the correlation only works one way. A high percentage of those with TS have autism, but only a very small percentage of those with autism have AS. I suspect it's the same with Neurofibromatosis.

MONIQUEIJ
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2010, 11:07 am

Mysty wrote:
Tuberous Sclerosis is similar to neurofibromatosis, and with that, too, it's common to also have autism. The thing is, the correlation only works one way. A high percentage of those with TS have autism, but only a very small percentage of those with autism have AS. I suspect it's the same with Neurofibromatosis.

interesting i kinda wonder why is it a higher chance of having autism if you have nf or ts but not a chance of a person with autism having nf or ts. i was also shock of finding that out when i did :?

i mean shock that 60% ofn kids with nf have autism spectrum disorder.

Mysty
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2010, 12:12 pm

Well, I didn't say autistics don't have a higher chance of having TS or NF than other people. I imagine there's a difference... though TS, and I'm guessing NF too, is so rare that you probably have to have a very large sample size for that difference to be statistically significant.

It's like, there are many things that can contribute to autism. Of those, TS is rare (I would guess NF too) enough that only a very small number of people with autism have it.

It's kinda like isolating a particular strain of flu. Most people infected with that strain of flu virus have the flu, but that doesn't mean most people with the flu have that particular strain of the virus.

MONIQUEIJ
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2010, 12:27 pm

Mysty wrote:
Well, I didn't say autistics don't have a higher chance of having TS or NF than other people. I imagine there's a difference... though TS, and I'm guessing NF too, is so rare that you probably have to have a very large sample size for that difference to be statistically significant.

It's like, there are many things that can contribute to autism. Of those, TS is rare (I would guess NF too) enough that only a very small number of people with autism have it.

It's kinda like isolating a particular strain of flu. Most people infected with that strain of flu virus have the flu, but that doesn't mean most people with the flu have that particular strain of the virus.

oh now i get it thanks :cat: :cyclops: