Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

TheHaywire
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2010, 4:42 am

I've heard that people with AS often don't learn from their mistakes. I know I'll often mess up the same way more than once. Does anybody have any strategies for this one?

Ferdinand
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2010, 4:44 am

No. I tend to have outbursts 24/7. :cry:

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2010, 5:01 am

not learning from one's mistakes is called "redumbancy." i suffer from this as well, and the only practical advice i could offer any body else would be to take good notes ALWAYS, and take frequent counsel from them.

ouinon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

16 Jun 2010, 5:02 am

This is an interesting article on the subject of not learning from mistakes; it suggests that it may have something to do with a genetic or epigenetic difference in dopamine receptors:

http://thefutureofthings.com/news/1094/ ... learn.html

PS. I definitely take a long time to learn from my mistakes. No strategies ( yet ) because I only realised this about myself a few years ago, and I still have trouble remembering this about myself. lol

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2010, 5:34 am

When God passed out brains,
I thought he said trains, and I missed mine.

When God passed out looks,
I thought He said books, and I didn't want any.

When God passed out ears,
I thought He said beers, and I asked for two long ones.

When God passed out legs,
I thought He said kegs, and I asked for two fat ones.

When God passed out noses,
I thought He said roses, and I asked for a big red one.

When God passed out heads,
I thought He said beds, and I asked for a big soft one.

Gee, I am a mess!

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2010, 5:39 am

Often I don't but its not an aspie trait.

Some NTs don't learn from their mistakes either.

Sparrowrose
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2010, 6:00 am

auntblabby wrote:
When God passed out brains,
I thought he said trains, and I missed mine.

When God passed out looks,
I thought He said books, and I didn't want any.

When God passed out ears,
I thought He said beers, and I asked for two long ones.

When God passed out legs,
I thought He said kegs, and I asked for two fat ones.

When God passed out noses,
I thought He said roses, and I asked for a big red one.

When God passed out heads,
I thought He said beds, and I asked for a big soft one.

Gee, I am a mess!

These mistake-rhyme couplets were something the kids used to use to bully me a lot in second grade. I had largely suppressed that memory and had no idea it would be this heard to see those again.

Avatar=WWI propaganda poster promoting victory gardens.

poppyx
Toucan
Toucan

16 Jun 2010, 7:33 am

Many NT's don't learn from their mistakes--and I am one.

I don't know if I would attribute it to the AS. Denial is a real problem for a lot of people, period.

If you don't know why you made a mistake, you may be doomed to repeat it.

Speaking from experience here. 8O

Fo-Rum
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Jun 2010, 7:40 am

Try looking up "Executive Dysfunction". Learning from ones mistakes is an executive function from what I understand. I don't really know for sure though, I've just read about it while reading on executive dysfunctions.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2010, 7:49 am

Sparrowrose wrote:
These mistake-rhyme couplets were something the kids used to use to bully me a lot in second grade. I had largely suppressed that memory and had no idea it would be this heard to see those again.

sorry, i did not mean to hurt you in any way, i was just commenting about my own shortcomings. i forgot the name of the friar who composed this little ditty, but i thought it was pithy and funny and described my own situation after a fashion.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2010, 7:50 am

Fo-Rum wrote:
Try looking up "Executive Dysfunction". Learning from ones mistakes is an executive function from what I understand. I don't really know for sure though, I've just read about it while reading on executive dysfunctions.

makes perfect sense even to one with imperfect executive functioning.

Sparrowrose
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2010, 8:08 am

auntblabby wrote:
Sparrowrose wrote:

sorry, i did not mean to hurt you in any way, i was just commenting about my own shortcomings. i forgot the name of the friar who composed this little ditty, but i thought it was pithy and funny and described my own situation after a fashion.

Oh, no, I didn't mean to sound accusing at all. You couldn't have known.
I had no idea it was an established piece of writing. The kids used different words and could go on like that for days without repeating one.

Avatar=WWI propaganda poster promoting victory gardens.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2010, 8:19 am

Sparrowrose wrote:
I had no idea it was an established piece of writing. The kids used different words and could go on like that for days without repeating one.

i clipped it out of an old dear abby column [the ORIGINAL dear abby] or was it ann landers? anyways, i lost the clipping long ago but it stuck in my head, and it was composed by a friar from some cloistered order.
as for kids, the lions' share of 'em can certainly seem to be diabolically cruel, in a machine-like sort of way. unthinking and unfeeling machines of rote social bullying, propping up a cruel and corrupt social order without thinking about it. automatons of antagonism and anomie. it is the exceptional child that is compassionate and ethically strong. i like to believe that of humanity, the rule of thirds prevails, i.e., 1/3 are evil, 1/3 are neutral but tending towards evil, and 1/3 are actively good. the fight under heaven is for the souls of the middle 1/3, in a tug-of-war from the dawn of man to the present, ending god only knows when.
this ends this installment of outhouse philosopher's corner. :)

MotherKnowsBest
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2010, 8:38 am

My daughter does learn from her mistakes but cannot transfer a mistake to slightly different circumstances.

For example, she tried to defrost bread in the microwave and put it on full power for the maximum time and then went off and got engrossed in something else. Result, the microwave was on fire. She will never put bread in the microwave for that amount of time again. It will not occur to her however that doing the same to frozen cake might have the same result.

(Yes she has set the microwave on fire twice and only missed out on the third because her wet jeans wouldn't fit so she put them in the oven instead. And then went out and forgot about them.)

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2010, 8:50 am

MotherKnowsBest wrote:
My daughter does learn from her mistakes but cannot transfer a mistake to slightly different circumstances.

For example, she tried to defrost bread in the microwave and put it on full power for the maximum time and then went off and got engrossed in something else. Result, the microwave was on fire. She will never put bread in the microwave for that amount of time again. It will not occur to her however that doing the same to frozen cake might have the same result.

(Yes she has set the microwave on fire twice and only missed out on the third because her wet jeans wouldn't fit so she put them in the oven instead. And then went out and forgot about them.)

gee, that sounds just like me :roll:

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2010, 9:34 am

I can sometimes recognize that I made some blunder but I have no idea how to react better to a similar situation, because the only way I know it's a blunder is because people got really upset with me, but not why. So the only thing I can do about it is avoidance. The next time someone does something I would like to react to, I just don't say anything (if I realize it in time to stop myself), or I avoid being in that situation in the first place.

This is not a good strategy, because it leaves me isolated and afraid of putting myself in the wrong situation, but I'm not sure what to do about it.