Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Keeno
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2010, 6:35 am

Does anyone else feel irked by the way people change, and ooze superficial charm, when it comes to anything to do with money, and wanting money?

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2010, 6:51 am

Being the working class hero that I am, that makes me really sick, inside and I just want to slap those people silly. I don't even buy lottery tickets, anymore.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2010, 6:57 am

From the same moral fiber, I also can't stand women who want to marry for money, for the very same reasons that I've mentioned, above. They have to have the designer clothes and the fine jewelry. They also have to have the perfect kids, and give them designer kids clothes and shoes.

I'm quite happy making $400 a month and listening to most of my music, the cheap way - on YouTube.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2010, 7:23 am

Keeno wrote:
Does anyone else feel irked by the way people change, and ooze superficial charm, when it comes to anything to do with money, and wanting money?

I'd be nice to someone if they were gonna give me money :P

I want money, lots of it, so I'm rather biased :D

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2010, 7:26 am

for the purposes of survival and comfort, money sure comes in handy on planet earth, bub. but in the next world, there are far better things.

CanadianRose
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2010, 9:50 am

I roll my eyes when people ooze superficial charm about anything :roll:

I have seen it with regards to money mostly. I have also seen it for sex (a person can change and be all animated and touchy-feely when a goregeous person enters the conversation). I have seen it for sheer power (when a person with or without money, but who holds influence is in the conversation).

As for money itself - I agree with auntblabby, it sure comes in handy.

I am reminded of what the Bible says about money: "The love of money is the root of all evil" Money itself is a useful tool which, in an ideal planet - would be earned and shared fairly.

book_noodles
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2010, 10:23 am

I haven't encountered it, since I'm a bit young and lacking in experience, but I do know that people do things like sell their kidneys (only one, I guess) and sex cells and hair...Which is odd. I suppose that is fair, given that capitalism is founded on the privatized exchange of goods or services for cash. . . I don't think selling your kidney is legal though. Is it?

I also know that people who have never ever spoken to me sometimes ask me for money very nicely when they want a can of flavored and carbonated high-fructose corn syrup water. (The answer is no.)

Arminius
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Jun 2010, 10:44 am

People who care too much about money bother me. I live like a queen on what they throw away. I wear silk, leather, linen, velvets, brocades, and nice brands whenever I want because people who seek status through their posessions throw away everything even slightly out of date. The entirity of my sound system came from the thrift stores and yard sales of Atlanta. I got my bicycle on Craigslist. My mother makes her living selling books from thrift stores on the Internet. I hate materialism and all the superficiality that goes with it, but, as I told my father, if it ever dies out, I will have absolutely nothing to wear. I am certainly its benificary.

LiendaBalla
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2010, 10:55 am

Keeno wrote:

:x Yes these fakers really annoy me.

*sarcasum ->* They have made the rest of us look GREAT!

Last edited by LiendaBalla on 16 Jun 2010, 11:20 am, edited 3 times in total.

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2010, 10:57 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
Being the working class hero that I am, that makes me really sick, inside and I just want to slap those people silly. I don't even buy lottery tickets, anymore.

I still buy lottery tickets, only in the hope to become rich so I can treat the people who treated me like garbage like trash. :D I'd also use some of the profits to help start a non-profit organisation to help people with Aspergers.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2010, 11:04 am

I can sympathise with anybody wanting enough money to keep them fed, sheltered and reasonably well entertained for the rest of their lives. I see the ones who go after more in the same way as I see heroin addicts - pity them, but for God's sake don't trust them. Frankly I prefer heroin addicts - at least I can understand the chemical addiction mechanism that has trapped them, and they usually know they've taken a wrong turn. I have a high regard for frugal people.

And yes, I've known people come to me oozing their greasy charm to try to cajole me into "lending" them money (what a joke, "lending" :roll: ). Their play-acting doesn't impress me.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2010, 11:14 am

I see there's a lot of people on here who don't like the entrepreneurial type then!

I hope you realise that, if it wasen't for those greedy people, your computer, house, phone, food, fridge, car, etc, wouldn't exist. Because they were made by companies started in capitalist societies by people who want money.

I seriously have no idea why greed for money is seen as a bad thing anyway, it genuinely confuses me.

Then again, if everyone wanted to be rich, no one would be able to do it, so it's a good thing that people have that attitude in a way.

All the more for me :lol:

LiendaBalla
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2010, 11:44 am

The kind of people I think about are people that put on a show. It knows no financial boundry, this acting. We have those that put themselves into debt, or show off, because they seriously believe that only image of "wealth" will get them something socialy helpful. Sorry, I have seen a real life variety of "ritcher than me" people. Makeing honest friends there doesn't get any easier.

The ones who want to perform as your buddy for your wallet, not for your person do get annoying and a little depressing when they don't need it anyway. All the reason to not marry a gold digger to. At some point they might make you regret it real good. You think just being rejected on a date sucks?

kx250rider
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

16 Jun 2010, 12:28 pm

I dislike "money worship" severely. I don't like symbols of financial pride, and I don't wear expensive clothes, or drive expensive cars. We're very lucky to be in a good position with regard to finances. I choose to drive a beat-up '96 Toyota 4x4 in gray primer. I buy 90% of my clothes on eBay, and we have TV sets from the 1970s and 80s that work fine; no flat screens! No country club memberships either. Where we don't mind spending good money is on medicine and health. If we chose to buy new Hummers and Lamborghinis, joined the country club, but then had to rely on health insurance which doesn't work for most any ailment we have, we'd both be in a world of hurt.

Charles

Amajanshi
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2010, 12:43 pm

I don't see the point in having so many luxury items, and it baffles me how people (especially women) can spend so much on fashion. It's their money, so they can choose how to spend it, but frankly I feel that material possessions don't really give me much happiness compared to my special interests (and other academic work). I'd rather spend any extra money on quality, healthy food and medicine.

lotuspuppy
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2010, 1:04 pm

I'll speak in defense of making money. I'm greedy, and freely admit it. I don't want many material things in life, beyond a nice house/condo with some extra money to travel and such. What I want is the power to control my own destiny. And a rewarding career. And I'm prepared to act fake to get it, and pray to God others do the same around me.

It sounds harsh, but that's what capitalism is. I truly believe that capitalism has brought us every good thing in life their is. Money has its downsides, but it's stronger than any king, any autocrat, or any discrimination we have ever known. It's the engine of liberty.