Do you have out loud vocal conversations?

Page 1 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2012, 8:58 pm

Yes "talk to yourself" but really not "yourself" Maybe you are going to a meeting and verbally outloud talk about what you might say to your boss or *insert scenario idea* it's not "Hearing voices" ISSUE or just "talking to yourself" We as Aspies tend to make social errors so personally I try to plan out what I might say to a boss/teacher etc. I even talk outloud of what I'd say to fix past mistakes. Can anyone relate??

Thank You.

RawSugar
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Oct 2012, 9:08 pm

ALL
THE
TIME.

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2012, 9:17 pm

:-) Thanks. If only my parents would understand this issue. Wonder what the "scientific name" for it is called.

RawSugar
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Oct 2012, 9:20 pm

zeldapsychology wrote:
:-) Thanks. If only my parents would understand this issue. Wonder what the "scientific name" for it is called.

I've learned to do it in seclusion. I'll do it all the time to myself when I'm driving alone and I know a conversation is going to come up with someone that I don't want to have. Or I'll excuse myself to the bathroom and have it with myself in the mirror. Next time your parents say something just tell them that you're working on your social interaction so that you can appear more normal and not get flustered. They'll probably eat that up.

CrystalStars
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2012, 9:21 pm

Sometimes, but to nothing in particular. I "internalize" my speech most of the time.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2012, 9:53 pm

Yes, and anyone who didn't know me better or is ignorant and judgmental would think I was schizophrenic. But I live alone and 98% of the time I have no one to talk to and even if I did, they don't want to hear me going on about The Sims 3 or YouTube videos or Classic Sesame Street. I also sometimes read storybooks out loud, although I kind of pretend I'm reading them to my two cats. :)
I don't think there's an actual scientific name for this, but if they come up with one society will see it as something terribly wrong that must be cured or brought under control like Asperger's. :x

Logicalmom
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2012, 10:36 pm

Isn't it called: "rehearsal"? I do it a lot.

Outofsync
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

17 Oct 2012, 11:09 pm

I do constantly. Since I was a kid. I got and still get made fun of if caught. I have conversation rehearsals, I have outbursts that I want to say to people but can't because of consequences, I have rehashes of conversations, I've had and I have conversation rehearsals of hypothetical or might have some day conversations. If there's a name,,I don't know. All I know is people thought I was batshit crazy since childhood. A lot ofthe time I even am yelling. I think it's what keeps me from lashing out due to my poor ability to control my reactions to frustration. In a nutshell: Yes.

Your Aspie score: 165 of 200
Your Neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 32 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie

FishStickNick
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2012, 12:21 am

zeldapsychology wrote:
Yes "talk to yourself" but really not "yourself" Maybe you are going to a meeting and verbally outloud talk about what you might say to your boss or *insert scenario idea* it's not "Hearing voices" ISSUE or just "talking to yourself" We as Aspies tend to make social errors so personally I try to plan out what I might say to a boss/teacher etc. I even talk outloud of what I'd say to fix past mistakes. Can anyone relate??

Thank You.

Yep! I'll say my part, imagine what the other person might say, then speak a response to it.

I used to assume my tendency to talk to myself was normal until I mentioned it to my mom and she told me not to do it while in public. :?

outofplace
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2012, 1:05 am

I have talked to myself all of my life. I can remember being in the 5th grade and having a teacher tell me that only crazy people talk to themselves. I also answer myself because it is part of how I deal with figuring out problems.

TonyHoyle
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Oct 2012, 2:58 am

All the time.

For it's an important part of my thought process... there's way too much going on in my head and forming it into sentences and saying it is very useful.

I'm sure people think I'm nuts. But then if I didn't do that they'd think I was nuts for some other reason anyway.

wewillfall
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

18 Oct 2012, 3:07 am

All the time. I also talk to myself a lot. When I'm alone that is (when I'm not alone I still talk to myself but quietly in my head). Just now I was "rehearsing" for the phone call with my psychologist on Monday (what I want to say etc).

wewillfall
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

18 Oct 2012, 3:16 am

FishStickNick wrote:
I used to assume my tendency to talk to myself was normal until I mentioned it to my mom and she told me not to do it while in public. :?

I still don't understand it's not "normal". Is it true not all people do these things? I've sort of always thought it's something most people do.

Si_82
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2012, 3:30 am

I will tend to verbalise my thoughts at a low mumble-level volume. This seems neccesary to help me concerntrate so usually happens if I am working out something complex or difficult. I tend to only do this when I am alone but sometimes have to discretely cover my mouth at work as I can silently mouth what I am thinking. Not sure how common that is but I think it is maybe one of those traits that is not uncommon among NTs but could be more pronounced (Sorry for the pun) in aspies.

Alexithymia: 137

Mindsigh
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2012, 9:21 am

lostonearth35 wrote:
Classic Sesame Street.

Remember the stop-motion animation orange that rolled around to the "Habanera" from Carmen? I was probably the only 6-year-old who could sing along with that one. :lol:

I talk to myself because sometimes I'm rehearsing, and sometimes I just have something to say and no one else to say it to. I should get an earpiece and pretend I'm on the phone.

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Half of me is in the Washington state, the other Los Angeles.

18 Oct 2012, 9:29 am

*raises hand* Guilty as charged.

The Canadian Football League - What We're Made Of

Feel free to talk to me, if you wish. :)

Every day is a gift- cherish it!

"A true, true friend helps a friend in need."