Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

redvelvet
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Apr 2006, 11:48 am

We have just been told that to get Claire DX for Aspergers will cost a thousand pounds. At a clinic in Cambridge England.
How much did your DX cost and does anyone know any trust that will help to pay for it? This is an awful lot of money. :cry:

anandamide
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2006, 11:55 am

A thousand pounds!! That is outrageous. I got my diagnosis for $300 CDN. At first I could not find a doctor who would deal with a potential diagnosis for under $1000 CDN but I spent many many hours on the phone calling around and finally found a doctor who could do it for much less. She is a very respected psychologist here in Canada. I think you just have to spend a lot of time phoning around.

parts
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2006, 12:48 pm

My sons was 1500 US Dollars and our insurance would not cover it had to pay out of pocket.

Emettman
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2006, 1:38 pm

redvelvet wrote:
We have just been told that to get Claire DX for Aspergers will cost a thousand pounds. At a clinic in Cambridge England.

I'm presuming that this would be at the clinic here:

http://www.autismresearchcentre.com/clinical/class.asp

I was seen by one of the consultants listed there for my diagnosis last year
(for £800, before the price went up) They were nearly six hours with me, over two sessions, apart from time consulting my mother and preparing reports etc.
I'd have to consider the considerable expense worth it, in my case.

As it says on the site "This funding can either be sought from the GP/PCT or the patient can be self-funding. In either case a GP/Health Professional referral will still be necessary."
I couldn't persuade my GP that it was a reasonable option to fund, but your situation may differ.
If the primary care trust or doctor's answer is no, you may be able to press them as to what they would suggest... I don't know if partial funding might be allowed, or be completely against the rules.

moomin
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Apr 2006, 2:16 pm

redvelvet wrote:
How much did your DX cost and does anyone know any trust that will help to pay for it? This is an awful lot of money. :cry:

blimey! where do you live? have you been in touch with The National Autistic Society?
my doctor said AS doesn't exist, so i emailed NAS and they replied with a clinic where i live who diagnose/assess - ON THE NHS.
call the NAS, they are brilliant. You pay National Insurance so you are entitled to getting a diagnosis through the NHS. Simple as that.

redvelvet
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Apr 2006, 3:10 am

moomin I sent an email to the NAS so I am waiting for a reply. Thanks for the information and I really hope they can help. :D

Update.... I contacted the NAS and they said Claire should get the test free, but her doctor said that the NHS is already 90million overdrawn, so won't pay for her. But she is going to try someone else. a charity. Her DR also suggested that Claire could see a psychiatrist?? It sounds weird to me. I don't think that psychiatrist are trained to dx Aspergers.

Jetson
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2006, 8:51 pm

anandamide wrote:
A thousand pounds!! That is outrageous. I got my diagnosis for $300 CDN. At first I could not find a doctor who would deal with a potential diagnosis for under $1000 CDN but I spent many many hours on the phone calling around and finally found a doctor who could do it for much less. She is a very respected psychologist here in Canada. I think you just have to spend a lot of time phoning around.
The Cdn$1000 estimate is usually based on the time it takes to do an assessment of a child, which can run to 8 or 9 hours and involve several observers in addition to the primary doctor. Adults and teens, on the other hand, have an accumulation of life experiences and the ability to discuss them with the doctor directly. This saves time and staff expenses. My doc (in Vancouver) quoted an hourly rate as opposed to a flat fee. The diagnosis took less than 3 hours and cost less than $500.

AceOfSpades
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2006, 4:14 pm

I was diagnosed at Junior Kindergarten. I don't remember anything about it, nor did I even understand what was going on at the time, but I think somebody in the school diagnosed me.

redvelvet
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Apr 2006, 4:40 pm

Claire is 19 years old next month, she has A level exams next year.
I contacted the NAS and they sent me a list of places in England where Claire could be dx, one of the centers said that if we can get her dr to refer Claire to them they should be able to dx her on the NHS, but it is only a maybe. But tomorrow I or Claire will phone her dr and ask.

She needs it done as she may be given more time to do her exams. having a dx can also help later on. :D

How much did you all have to pay, and what actually occures during a dx for an adult?