Do certain words have a "repulsive" sound?

Page 1 of 5 [ 69 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

ocdgirl123
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2011, 8:09 pm

Now, I don't have sensory issues, but I find that there are some words just give me the creeps.

Like, the word "gullet", it totally makes me cringe because the sound of it is so repulsive.

My mom looked at me liked I had just said "There was a 6 foot 2 year old at school today" so I was wondering if other aspies have sensory issues with words.

Canadian, young adult, student demisexual-heteroromantic, cisgender female, autistic

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2011, 8:19 pm

I hate the word 'group' as it sounds bad too

ryan93
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2011, 8:30 pm

gullet is disgusting, so is gizzard. Phlegmatic, Autocrat, Hardy, there are many crap words.

Asphodel is my favorite word, followed by meadow, glade, lulling, loquacious, I could go on all day. Cellar door is nothing special.

Member of the WP Strident Atheists

ryan93
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2011, 8:32 pm

Oh, and encephalopathy. I pronounce it "sefhahlon", any other pronunciation is barbaric.

Member of the WP Strident Atheists

Meow101
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2011, 8:49 pm

OMG when I was in college I had a list of "good" sounding and "bad"/disgusting sounding words on my dorm room wall...ROTFL!! !! People thought I was nuts.

Only on WP...

~Kate

Si tot mai multe cere.
--Mihai Eminescu

Mindslave
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2011, 9:38 pm

ocdgirl123 wrote:
Now, I don't have sensory issues, but I find that there are some words just give me the creeps.

Like, the word "gullet", it totally makes me cringe because the sound of it is so repulsive.

My mom looked at me liked I had just said "There was a 6 foot 2 year old at school today" so I was wondering if other aspies have sensory issues with words.

A 6 foot 2 year old? "Yeah, my son is 6 foot 2 years old, and 250 pounds tall, and weighs a size 12"

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2011, 9:42 pm

Yeah I have this too.
I hate the word "preggers" and "anyways" they make me want to slap whoever uses them.

Even though they aren't real words. They set off my sensory overload. One of my ears is so sensitive the wrong words or voices physically give me goosebumps.

ocdgirl123
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2011, 10:06 pm

Mindslave wrote:
ocdgirl123 wrote:

A 6 foot 2 year old? "Yeah, my son is 6 foot 2 years old, and 250 pounds tall, and weighs a size 12"

There was no 6 six foot 2 year old, but my mom's reaction when I said that I thought certain words have a repulsive was sound was like I just said that there was a 6 foot 2 year old at school.

Canadian, young adult, student demisexual-heteroromantic, cisgender female, autistic

CanadianRose
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2011, 10:18 pm

My best buddy absolutely hates the word "thong"

If referring to the casual, summer sandal - He will say "flip flop"

If referring to the kitchen gadget - He will say "grabbers"

If referring to the sexy panty - He will say the "sexy panty" (or "OMG - that person shouldn't try to wear a sexy panty - it just doesn't work for them!! !"

Anything but the dreaded word "thong".

LOL!!

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

12 Apr 2011, 10:20 pm

I should have a whole list of these, but the words that come immediately to mind are:

"Schizoid" makes me think of yellow beetles. Not entirely repulsive, but uncomfortable.
"Schizoaffective" actually makes me kind of nauseous, but no particular color.
"Asperger" actually has a sour/bitter taste and a white color.

Most words have associations like that for me, visual/taste, sometimes images that have nothing to do with the word. Making a spontaneous word list is not easy for me, unfortunately.

Apera
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2011, 10:34 pm

There are certain words I refuse to use in my own speech pattern; either because i find them irritating or just inelegant. For example, I would never use the term "anal" in reference to an individual with OCD.

Also, I prefer words and names that end with a "y" to those with an "ie" ending.

But they do not have me

azureyoshi
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Apr 2011, 10:36 pm

I have a big problem with words like ointment, moisture, and puke. (Bad images in my head when they're said). For some reason I can't stand the word panties either.

But, by far, cutesy words are the worst. Like, totes, adorbs, pregger, hubby, etc. Anything like that makes me literally cringe when I hear it said.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2011, 10:44 pm

azureyoshi wrote:
I have a big problem with words like ointment, moisture, and puke. (Bad images in my head when they're said). For some reason I can't stand the word panties either.

But, by far, cutesy words are the worst. Like, totes, adorbs, pregger, hubby, etc. Anything like that makes me literally cringe when I hear it said.

You sound like me. I HATE THEM TOO! argh. Whoever came up with the word "panties" needs a belt over the face :P

Chamomile
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Apr 2011, 10:46 pm

"Moist" is a word that most people avoid in common conversation, because it doesn't sit well with them. I can't help but agree. Professor JRR Tolkien posited that the phrase "cellar door" rolled off the tongue in a way more pleasing than any other gathering of syllables. This might be more pronounced in autistics, but it doesn't seem to be exclusive to us.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2011, 10:54 pm

Chamomile wrote:
"Moist" is a word that most people avoid in common conversation, because it doesn't sit well with them. I can't help but agree. Professor JRR Tolkien posited that the phrase "cellar door" rolled off the tongue in a way more pleasing than any other gathering of syllables. This might be more pronounced in autistics, but it doesn't seem to be exclusive to us.

Haaha thats probably why everyone hates the new zealand accent. Everything sounds like "moist"!
Perhaps I should call my kid "Cellardoor".

Am I the only one who is saying "Cellar door" out loud several times after reading this post?

dunbots
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2011, 10:57 pm

hale_bopp wrote:
azureyoshi wrote:

You sound like me. I HATE THEM TOO! argh. Whoever came up with the word "panties" needs a belt over the face :P

Whats so bad about it? It's just the diminutive of "pants". :P

As for me, there are so words that sound better or worse than others to me.