Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2006, 8:48 am

I'm sorry that I've been rambling on about an obsession.

Talking obsessivley about the Routemaster isn't going to bring her back.

I don't want to end up like letsgoblues.

There are a variety of things that I can talk about.

The people in my natural life frown down on the Quirks and Obsessions of people who are different.

I guess I've gotten a little carried away

It's been a rough four and a half months for me.

I appologize.

CockneyRebel

Sundy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Apr 2006, 8:59 am

It's okay! I didn't mind!

Bland
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2006, 9:31 am

Strangely enough, here on the Wrong Planet it seemed totally ordinary! Go figure! :wink:

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2006, 10:06 am

Bland wrote:
Strangely enough, here on the Wrong Planet it seemed totally ordinary!

Oh, definitely.:) The topic of obsessions is one of the ways people identify each other here.

redvelvet
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Apr 2006, 10:22 am

What better place to tell us all about your favourite thing. Your obsession is better then my husbands. So talk away. :D

scousered
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

21 Apr 2006, 10:30 am

Oh obsessions are exciting, don't take yourself hard.

Young_fogey
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Apr 2006, 10:42 am

I'm not saying that you were doing it, CockneyRebel, and I don't think you were, but one thing that p*sses me off about WP often is that the spectrum people, because of the condition, have a tendency to talk at and not to me, or at least I perceive it that way.

That said, a double blessing of understanding spectrum disorders and having Internet access is it gives people like us both an outlet and social possibilities not available in the IRL NT world - the perfect place to talk about our obsessions, be they the Roadmaster or in my case the Catholic Church and Anglo-Catholicism.

(I've hooked up three times starting with online encounters related to my interests! Wouldn't have happened at an NT bar or club.)

You see, somebody else here has a British-related interest! You're not alone, CockneyRebel.

When you get a chance, go there - as the Brits here will tell you, it's great! London is big and diverse enough that you can find your interest represented there; I did! Maybe there's a Roadmaster museum as well as those bus tours for tourists.... I'll admit I'm curious how actual Londoners would react to your speaking voice. Would they think you're one of them? Probably not, no knock on you. Putting it on? Maybe - it may take some explaining but you've been there. Maybe neither.

Just curious... have you met any actual Brits, did they comment on your voice and if so what did they say?

There is the possibility that, being British, people would be polite and not mention it.

oatwillie
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Apr 2006, 10:53 am

I love Routemasters, too and have a Corgi or Matchbox toy version from when I was a kid.
I painted it with Bob Marley Rasta Colours. I always wanted to create a mobile recording studio inside a double decker with all the ammenities.

Sacred Cows make the tastiest hambuger.

visualize whirled peas

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2006, 12:20 pm

Don't apologise. It's interesting to us Anglophiles.

CockneyRebel wrote:
I'm sorry that I've been rambling on about an obsession.

Talking obsessivley about the Routemaster isn't going to bring her back.

Like talking about other incidents of axing British cultural herritage, like the demise of the Radio 4 UK Theme (it goes out for the last time on Sunday, by the way), red telephone boxes (these are slowly fading from the British landscape) and the removal of anything even slightly patriotic or nationalist (to 'not offend minority ethnics') won't bring them back either. It's a sad loss, but life goes on I'm afraid.

jammie
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Apr 2006, 2:46 pm

It totally not a problem, i find it intresting, i am sure i probobly go on about licking more than i should.

I am from the UK, and i would love for you to come over, i think you would like,i have only ever ventures into london about three time but i quite liked it there. If i statyed away from the hustle and bustly bits.

^licks^

jammie

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2006, 9:57 pm

Thank you for the supportive replies. :)

I was starting to get hung up on a Member who used to start Threads on that Weather Lady. I tend to compare myself to people like that.

When I cry after being fine, for three months, I compare myself to a Man who was in my College Programme who cried, at least once a month.

When I over-eat, one or two days out of the Week, I compare myself to my Obese Friend whom I'm afraid might die on me, if she doesn't make changes in her Eating Habbits.

Now I was comparing my Routemaster Obsession with the rukus that LetsgoBlues was causing about Kathleen England and The Soccer Girl. I think my Hormones are making me Crazy. :roll:

Young_fogey
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Apr 2006, 12:25 am

Glad you're feeling better, CockneyRebel, and that we played a part in that.

But a small point of order.

Earlier I said that one thing that really p*sses me off about WP is that there's a lot of talking at one and not to one.

When somebody asks you a direct question, I think the response is either to answer it or say 'I'm sorry but I'd rather not answer'. (Even if you're not really sorry - that's just to be nice.) At least acknowledge the person who asked, unless the question was really outrageous or harassing. In simple, polite, friendly conversations, just ignoring the person is, IMO, rude.

I can understand that from people who don't realise they're on the spectrum.

But being on the spectrum isn't some cool excuse to be rude on purpose.

Anybody who does that makes us all look bad.

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2006, 7:14 am

I have enjoyed reading your posts about the Routemasters.
Your writing about them helped me learn some things I would not have known otherwise.
And I would like to know more...
Please don't stop writing about them, it is an interesting subject.
:)

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2006, 8:42 am

I accept your apology. I hope you are doing better!

Aspie_Chav
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2006, 10:55 am

Don’t worry mate, I often talk about bendy-busses and how they are more comfortable and don’t make me ill while travelling long distances. I can even drink coffees without spilling it and have a read without getting a headache