Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

wblastyn
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2010, 5:58 pm

Does anyone else ever feel that their "true self" is suffocated when you're around NTs?

It's as though I forget who I am and can't be me when I'm around them. But when I'm around my friends, who are either on or close to the spectrum, I suddenly remember who I am and feel like I can be myself again.

I sometimes dread going to work because everyone there is NT and I just don't feel like me there. I just become withdrawn and don't really say very much, and it gets frustrating.

petitesouris
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Jul 2010, 6:27 pm

everyone on here feels that way. we often feel as though we must follow pointless rituals, which we do not get the purpose of. still, it is actually easier to follow these rules than it is to fight them. i often lost sleep over the question of why such rules were ever created, but unless they are against my values, i usually follow them.
still, i feel as though i am still not accepted even though i muster enough energy to function in social society. people take one look at me or talk to me once before deciding that i am a loser, no matter how much i try to impress them, just because their intuition gives them a negative first impression.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2010, 6:30 pm

I feel that way, around certain NTs. There are just some situations, where I just have to keep a lid on my interests, or feelings.

Pistonhead
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2010, 7:08 pm

I feel suffocated enough when I'm at home by myself and people call me and expect me to pickup or return a call. I just don't feel like talking to anyone. Especially not my family right now.

When I'm out in public it's an exercise in politeness at the same time as avoidance.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2010, 7:52 pm

Yea. I don't feel like a real person around a bunch of dull, frivolous, unfunny NTs.

petitesouris
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Jul 2010, 9:30 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
There are just some situations, where I just have to keep a lid on my interests, or feelings.

i often feel that way to. it is like i have to censor all my thought processes to fit those of nts, because they subconciously read minds.
i really think that as long as someone can function in society, nts should not try to change who they are.