Feeling embarrassment for other people

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

alexptrans
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2010, 3:18 pm

Do you sometimes feel embarrassed for other people, such as when they're making a fool of themselves or something like that? I tried to find something to illustrate what I'm talking about, but the best I could do is this:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-bsf2x-aeE[/youtube]
which is the fake orgasm scene from When Harry Met Sally, and it didn't really make me feel embarrassed for Meg Ryan's character. But suppose somebody close to you (like a child or a partner) makes a terrible faux pas - would you be embarrassed?

OneStepBeyond
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2010, 3:47 pm

Im embarassed for you that noones replied :oops:

:D

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2010, 3:57 pm

I think any sensitive person feels that way sometimes.

The people who never seem to have that reaction are generally the most emotionally stunted, cruel @ssh*les I've ever met - you know, Howard Stern listeners and avid fans of Jackass.

Those of us with AS are probably hypersensitive to seeing others make social faux pas, because we do so much of that ourselves. :oops:

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2010, 4:31 pm

Willard wrote:
The people who never seem to have that reaction are generally the most emotionally stunted, cruel @ssh*les I've ever met - you know, Howard Stern listeners and avid fans of Jackass.

Hey. I can't listen to Howard Stern because he's a jerk but I used to like watching Jackass. I don't have a mean bone in me.

At least the guys from Jackass were willingly acting like fools. Everything they subjected themselves to was their own conscious choice. That's why it's called Jackass. It's not as bad as those other shows were they show some fuzzy home video of a little kid riding a bike accidentally smashing his face into a stop sign and then you're supposed to laugh. That's just sick IMO.

Skye-Day
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 Jul 2010, 5:14 pm

I feel embarrassed for people all the time and I get nervous for people if I think there going to get embarrassed that means most reality television programs are out of the question.

?There are only two tragedies in life: one is not getting what one wants, and the other is getting it.?-Oscar Wilde

‎"In the beginning the Univers

rmctagg09
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 Jul 2010, 5:19 pm

Yes, quite often in fact.

Spazzergasm
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2010, 7:10 pm

I like Jackass....

But I know what you mean. I definitely feel embarrassed for people.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2010, 8:41 pm

No. However on rare occasion I've been embarrassed to be seen with someone.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2010, 8:59 pm

I'm not really sure how one feels embarrassed for another person. Embarrassed OF... yeah I've felt that way before.

When someone does something totally embarrassing, I normally just give them a funny look and move on. *shrug*

Oh... and I hate Jackass and Howard Stern grates on my nerves.

Lecks
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2010, 9:45 pm

I wouldn't say embarrassed but when I see someone doing something or getting into a situation that would give me a major meltdown I can't watch. I have to look away, I don't know what would happen if I did force myself to watch because I've never managed to do it.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2010, 10:36 pm

I feel embarrassed for one of my friends, when we go out, in the evenings. He likes to giggle and tell jokes, of a sexual nature. The reason behind this, is that I was the same way, 10 years ago.

SoSayWeAll
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2010, 1:49 pm

I feel embarrassed by my boss whenever she comes into town. She's a nice lady, but I think she has severe ADHD and absolutely no filter between her brain and her mouth, and she says things to others that just about make me want to hide. I am both embarrassed FOR her and OF her at those times.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2010, 3:32 pm

I often feel embarassed when someone's obviously wrong about something really dumb. I sometimes won't correct them when I probably should because I feel so embarassed. Usually they aren't even embaressed themselves so it doesn't make sense for me to feel embarassed for them, but I can't help it.

Hodor
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2010, 5:52 pm

I definitely do feel embarrassed for other people, but it's a different feeling to self embarrassment. In a similar vein, I can feel nervous for a close relative or friend who's doing something they're nervous about, such as giving a speech.

Wuffles
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Aug 2010, 5:58 pm

Yes, it's odd because I will often feel embarassed for someone who is not only completely UNEMBARASSED, but who is engaged in an activity that most NTs consider to be UNEMBARASSING.

Further, it will sometimes worry me for days. I'll even dream about it. It makes no sense at all.

Is this an aspie thing? I've never understood it.

alexptrans
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2010, 1:40 am

Wuffles wrote:
Yes, it's odd because I will often feel embarassed for someone who is not only completely UNEMBARASSED, but who is engaged in an activity that most NTs consider to be UNEMBARASSING.

Further, it will sometimes worry me for days. I'll even dream about it. It makes no sense at all.

Is this an aspie thing? I've never understood it.

I feel the same sometimes. It can even make me squirm, even though the person doing the activity couldn't care less about it. I don't know if this is an aspie thing.