Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2010, 3:29 pm

Do any of you have the ability to hyperfocus? If so, does it come naturally or do you have to induce it?

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2010, 3:36 pm

In what sense? Visually (with the eyes)? Topically? Task-wise? Attention-wise?

Hyper-focus can apply to a wide range of things. Which way are you asking about? An example would be really helpful.

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

pschristmas
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2010, 3:40 pm

I occasionally hyperfocus, but it isn't something I can do if I want to; it happens from time to time spontaneously. I wish I could do it whenever I wanted. I'll be in the middle of a meeting and "wake up" only to find that I've missed half the discussion while I was focusing on something inconsequential.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2010, 3:41 pm

Yes, I love to hyperfocus and compare it to the state of calm one gets when meditating on life's profound mysteries.

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2010, 3:43 pm

MrXxx wrote:

Hyper-focus can apply to a wide range of things. Which way are you asking about? An example would be really helpful.

I'm talking more about focussing very hard on a topic or a task.

j0sh
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2010, 4:12 pm

I have a problem with being able to NOT hyper focus. I can't multitask to save my life, but I can focus on a single issue/thought/etc with intensity not many people I've ever met can. It's served me very well working professionally as a software analyst.

Botti
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2010, 4:27 pm

Hyperfocus comes naturally. Removing attention something else is the problem.

Botti
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2010, 4:27 pm

Hyperfocus comes naturally. Removing attention something else is the problem.

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2010, 4:39 pm

SteelMaiden wrote:
MrXxx wrote:

I'm talking more about focussing very hard on a topic or a task.

That's what I thought. I just wanted to be sure. Saw a similar question on another forum, and that poster was talking about the visual kind.

I am always hyper focused on whatever I do, if it's something I chose to do. If it interests me, I'll shut everything else out.

pschristmas wrote:
I occasionally hyperfocus, but it isn't something I can do if I want to; it happens from time to time spontaneously. I wish I could do it whenever I wanted. I'll be in the middle of a meeting and "wake up" only to find that I've missed half the discussion while I was focusing on something inconsequential.

I don't see that as a lack of ability to hyper-focus. I see it as a lack of ability to hyper-focus on something that doesn't interest you, which is really quite Aspie. I have a very difficult time focusing on anything I'm "required" to focus on that isn't of my own choosing. When it IS of my own choosing though, forget about getting my attention onto something else. I have to return phone calls to give myself a chance to regroup and change gears.

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...