Cant talk.

Don't feel right.

Have obsessions.

Why?

cnidocyte
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Sep 2010, 12:36 pm

Thats life. Some people are born blind, crippled or with genetic degenerative diseases. You're ability to talk will probably improve. I'm at the point where people can't really tell I'm not neurotypical just by talking to me. Years ago people thought I was ret*d when they'd first talk to me.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2010, 12:45 pm

You can't say AS makes your life harder; you have no idea what your life would be like without it. In fact, you'd most likely just have a bunch of different problems instead.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2010, 2:04 pm

So true. Everybody has problems. Yours just happen to be related to disability.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2010, 3:00 pm

Callista wrote:

I don't think this is true. Someone always has autism. Situational problems can often be remedied. A lot of people, even family members, seem to get along well. They don't constantly feel uncomfortable, they can communicate fine, they can go to school and get jobs without anywhere near the difficulty as me. They can control their emotions. If they get into a problem, it's mostly situational. The fact is a disability does make things significantly harder, in addition to getting into situational problems from just life.

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2010, 3:04 pm

I'm sorry you have a disability but, your not making it any easier on yourself with a glass half empty attitude.

Assembly
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 Sep 2010, 3:10 pm

If there is a god, then aspergers is a cruel joke indeed. You take a person, give him/her ambitions, goals, skills and worst of all self awareness! You're set, basicly. Got what it takes to start on the journey which is life, only to discover that there is a huge obstacle in the horizon - which you'll never overcome - regardless of effort.

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2010, 5:06 pm

Why do you want to be NT anyway? :arrow:

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2010, 5:11 pm

buryuntime wrote:
Callista wrote:

I don't think this is true. Someone always has autism. Situational problems can often be remedied. A lot of people, even family members, seem to get along well. They don't constantly feel uncomfortable, they can communicate fine, they can go to school and get jobs without anywhere near the difficulty as me. They can control their emotions. If they get into a problem, it's mostly situational. The fact is a disability does make things significantly harder, in addition to getting into situational problems from just life.
Yeah, I should have clarified that. "Related to disability" does not mean "unsolvable if the disability cannot be removed." A simpler example would be--say you're paraplegic; and a problem related to your disability is that you can't walk to the store to do your shopping. The solution, obviously, is either a wheelchair, or a wheelchair and a car with hand controls, depending on how close the store is. Autism, though it's mental and a little less straightforward, is similar. Problems related to autism can be solved, just like problems related to any other disability. I did not intend to imply that it's impossible to solve them.

Autism Memorial:

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2010, 5:53 pm

Assembly wrote:
If there is a god, then aspergers is a cruel joke indeed. You take a person, give him/her ambitions, goals, skills and worst of all self awareness! You're set, basicly. Got what it takes to start on the journey which is life, only to discover that there is a huge obstacle in the horizon - which you'll never overcome - regardless of effort.

This.

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2010, 5:57 pm

I need to put on a Morrissey song :wall: :wall: :wall:

ApsieGuy
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2010, 6:16 pm

Assembly wrote:

That's exactly how I feel....wow

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2010, 8:11 pm

You'll never overcome it because you weren't meant to overcome it. You were meant to go in an entirely different direction.

If you can't get through that brick wall in front of you, stop bashing your head against it and find out how to go around it.

Autism Memorial:

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2010, 9:01 pm

I've always thought that my life was a breeze, and I'm on the spectrum. I don't share your world view. The reason that my life is a breeze, is because I don't have a glass half empty attitude. I've lost someone who's dear to me, this June, and I still feel that I have a pretty easy life. Life is what you make it.

Cheer up! :)

websister
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Sep 2010, 10:07 pm

Assembly wrote:

I disagree with the "which you'll never overcome - regardless of effort".
Life is hard; for some people it is just a little harder. Along with the AS, I've had many other obstacles in my life to overcome. At this stage of my life, having worked through many of them, I am a stronger person and grow more successful each year at work and in my social relationships, not by pretending to be normal but by accepting that I have challenges and then working through them, sometimes falling on my face but never staying there.
I don't want to sound preachy, I have three sons on the spectrum and I can see that life is a struggle for them also. I would love to make things easy for them, but I can't do that. What I can do is be an example for them; share what has worked for me (only when asked) and support and applaud them as they find their own answers, achieve their own successes and learn from their failures. Many times it's two steps forward and one step back but the goal is still "forwards".

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2010, 10:18 pm

Surfman wrote:
I'm sorry you have a disability but, your not making it any easier on yourself with a glass half empty attitude.

Precisely. AS has its positive aspects. Aspies can do detail work above and beyond what most NTs can do. the O.P. should try to exploit the positive aspects of AS as best he can.

It is an ill wind that does not blow some good in some direction.

ruveyn