adhd impairing me more than asperger?

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

babybuggy32
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Sep 2010, 2:08 pm

sometimes i feel like my adhd impairs my functioning more than my aspergers. for instance i have trouble holding jobs not because i can't make eye contact or socialize, but because i have trouble paying attention to instructions and details also organization is a big issue for me. its weird because you would think as an aspie i would have a good sense of routine but i don't. i hate routines and find them repetitive and boring. also i have interests but not obsessions and i wouldn't call them very special. i have had social difficulties but its more of an impulse thing versus not knowing what is socially appropriate. i have no doubts i am an aspie on some level but i feel like its really the adhd getting in the way. does anyone else feel this way?

pgd
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2010, 2:33 pm

babybuggy32 wrote:
sometimes i feel like my adhd impairs my functioning more than my aspergers. for instance i have trouble holding jobs not because i can't make eye contact or socialize, but because i have trouble paying attention to instructions and details also organization is a big issue for me. its weird because you would think as an aspie i would have a good sense of routine but i don't. i hate routines and find them repetitive and boring. also i have interests but not obsessions and i wouldn't call them very special. i have had social difficulties but its more of an impulse thing versus not knowing what is socially appropriate. i have no doubts i am an aspie on some level but i feel like its really the adhd getting in the way. does anyone else feel this way?

---

Yes, the (involuntary) inattention and (involuntary) distractibility associated with ADHD are a challenge and affect everything.

Attention and the ability to focus are requirements for success in school. How does everyday distractedness differ from a real attention problem?

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/misunderstoodmi ... ntion.html
http://www.ericdigests.org/2003-5/auditory.htm

Involuntary inattention means it often takes more time to accomplish a task compared with those who are ADHD-free / Petit mal/absence/complex partial/TLE and so on-free.

http://www.neurologychannel.com/

Words

ADHD

Inattention
Impulsivity
Hyperactivity

nmyers68
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

02 Sep 2010, 4:05 pm

Interesting, this sounds just like my 13 year old son. Do you ever experience issues like avoiding certain people that intimidate you in any way? My son avoids his Dad, because he's the Dad and the scary one, and now his Dad just avoids him altogether because he's badically given up on him. So I am in the middle listening to each of them complain about the other one.