Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

nalanme
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

17 Sep 2010, 7:33 am

Can anyone comment on disordered speech? I have a four year old son, who has not been formally diagnosed, but has been receiving speech language therapy and occupational therapy for a little over a year now. He did not speak until 6 months ago, and it started with the alphabet. He skipped mama and dada and went straight for the mechanics:) Shortly after starting with the alphabet he dove into spelling. And he surprised me the other day when he read me a book. He likes big words. And he is the happiest little boy I have ever seen. He does have some tactile defensiveness, and difficulty eating. One of the main concerns that the occupational therapist has currently is that he has difficulty with movement. Specifically, there is no trunk rotation. I have often wondered if the difficulty with eating is actually based on poor motor control. For example, as an infant he choked a number of times, resulting from not chewing up whatever he was eating. I have pulled more chunks of cookies and fruit and toast out of the back of his throat than I can count. The o/t reports are worrying me currently because she keeps saying that his specific motor issues are not common in ASD.

So, in short..... I'm not so good with short. :)

Has it been anyone's experience that "disordered" language comes with Aspergers? We have decided to hold off on an official diagnosis at this point, since we receive the same services with a provisional diagnosis as we would with a formal diagnosis. And since each "expert" we have seen has had a different opinion on where he fits on the spectrum we are leary of actually accepting what they say for fear of limiting his education. So far they have suggested that it might be mild to moderate autism, PDD-NOS, and last but not least Aspergers.

One other point of interest is that my husband had hyperlexia as a child. But his speech did not appear as disordered as our son's. Or perhaps it was overlooked way back then since it appeared he was genius in reading before kindergarten.....

pgd
Veteran
Veteran

nalanme
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

17 Sep 2010, 8:14 am

Thank you pgd!

So you are thinking dysfunction between the hemispheres as well? I keep saying that it reminds me of a stroke victim- (for example, before knowing the word for watch he used "hand clock"). Thanks for the links- I will peruse them today and see what they have to say.

I know for sure that there is hyperlexia present. And I keep thinking that is why they place him under Aspergers. I just haven't found much information on disordered speech/language and Aspergers, and how best to help him at home. Current theory is just to facilitate more reading.