...hate it. 32%  32%  [ 10 ]
....it mean nothing to me, crowds aren't a problem. 6%  6%  [ 2 ]
...my head is mostly down. 61%  61%  [ 19 ]
Total votes : 31

lalala
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

06 Oct 2010, 9:41 am

it's just very forced to make eye-contact, i think it freaks people out -- sometimes i see a look in their eye, like a squint, or a frown, or a widening, and think 'what the hell does that mean?' but they're actually mimicking the look in my eyes. i must look like a freak when i do eye contact. i can't do it naturally. i look at their hands, their torso's/chests, their laps, necks, shoulders, arms, knees - it feels insanely difficult to look into people's face if they're talking to me. and when i *do* look them in the face, like i said, it's horribly forced and scary.
i just wanted to know what you make of eye contact? Do you find it difficult all the time?; do you have days where social interaction is out of the question?; is it easy to look strangers/family members/good friends in the eye?

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2010, 9:50 am

It doesn't bother me. I like walking down a busy street.

KansasFound
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

06 Oct 2010, 10:12 am

I did a one month experiment by wearing nothing but reflective sunglasses to see why eye contact was so difficult. I learned that, for me, avoiding eye contact is a true reflex. I learned more stuff, but can't remember because I wrote it and I don't remember what I write, but if you are interested the experiment on my blog starts at http://lifeontheothersideofthewall.blog ... iment.html

My blog: http://lifeontheothersideofthewall.blogspot.com

Author of Finding Kansas: Decoding the Enigma of Asperger's Syndrome www.findingkansas.com

Omnicognic
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2010, 10:19 am

For me, it requires a concious effort to make eye contact with people I'm holding a conversation with although I can't keep it up for long. I end up continually looking away which I know gives the impression of being shifty or dishonest.. as far as walking down a crowded street, depending on my mood (whether I care how I appear or not) I will force myself to walk in good posture, head up... I used to even try to force a smile but I think it scared some people... in crowds, however, I still avoid eye contact

Awiddershinlife
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Oct 2010, 11:02 am

It is something forced on us by an unempathetic world - so we each find the path we want to take in response.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2010, 11:49 am

This thread is making me uncomfortable just thinking about it :oops:

KSea
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

06 Oct 2010, 12:31 pm

That's weird how the last post says it was Oct. 7th, 2010 when today is only the 6th lol. Anyhow, for me it can depend. If it's someone I'm really comfortable w/, it's not AS difficult, but generally it's a conscious effort. Some people when they talk look at other things and bounce b/t that and looking at your eyes--those kinds of people are easier to talk to. The ones that stare into your eyes w/o blinking or looking away--SO uncomfortable. And people w/ really dark or black eyes--something about that freaks me out completely. Or people that are just too dang intense. Also, it's hard to concentrate, so even w/ my husband, if I'm trying to tell him something, I can't remember what I'm saying if I'm looking at him, so it's easier to look away and talk.

the_curmudge
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2010, 7:18 pm

I've learned to make some kind of eye contact, but it will never feel natural to me. What feels natural is to have the two conversants standing side by side, turned slightly toward each other and talking while looking into the middle distance. I actually have friends who will do this with me, and that's probably why they're friends. (Writing this down makes me realize what a big accommodation they're making, bless 'em.)