Do you find it easier to write things down than say them?

Page 1 of 4 [ 51 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

cecdwarfer
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Oct 2010, 8:40 pm

I sometimes find with emotional topics it is easier for me to email or text something than say it. I know this is probably perceived as bad or cold by other people but it's what I do. Does anyone else feel the same way?

Kiseki
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2010, 8:44 pm

100% yes. Which is how I've managed to make an ass of myself with several girls in the past :( I don't know how to shut up when I have a cell phone sitting right to me.

Avarice
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2010, 9:04 pm

I find writing to be easier in any situation. It's just better for me, more time to think, no worrying about body language or facial expressions. Talking always gives me a headache after a while.

PangeLingua
Toucan
Toucan

09 Oct 2010, 9:15 pm

Yes, always.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2010, 9:57 pm

I find that it's easier for me to write things down, as well.

blahbla
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

09 Oct 2010, 10:00 pm

Yup, same here...

thehandmedown
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Oct 2010, 10:03 pm

I prefer writing anything over talking about it

James0Zero
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Oct 2010, 10:10 pm

Funny you should mention this. I prefer speaking to people actually but I'm FAR better at conveying my feeling through typing. Good thing I don't need to write this stuff otherwise I'd never do it. I hate handwriting. Thank god for the invention of typewriters and eventually computers.

"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'"-George Carlin

tooty
Butterfly
Butterfly

09 Oct 2010, 10:46 pm

Without a doubt.

jpfudgeworth
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Oct 2010, 10:48 pm

Absolutely. It's so easy to not clearly articulate your point when speaking.

I think text messages are the ultimate form of communication because it gives you time to think about the best words to use and forces you to be brief and to-the-point.

PangeLingua
Toucan
Toucan

09 Oct 2010, 11:03 pm

jpfudgeworth wrote:

I think text messages are the ultimate form of communication because it gives you time to think about the best words to use and forces you to be brief and to-the-point.

Here I differ - but I have a distinct preference for verbosity. :wink:

I have learned that internet chat can be a great way to converse with family members in real time. I think I use these common forms of typed communication rather differently than the majority of the population. On occasion, I have even used internet chat with my sister when she was in the room next to me.

Hermier
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Oct 2010, 11:24 pm

Definitely I feel writing is the way to go. Emails are great, too, because if you keep the important ones then it's right there on the screen exactly what you (&/or they) said, time & date, replies back & forth.....

The only problem for me is that I spend way too much time searching for the perfect word, turn of phrase, the exact one way to write something that will really say the truth....

Often far out of proportion to the importance of the email. Like two hours (or even an all-nighter sometimes) to come up with the just perfectly worded two-paragraph email ~ to someone who's going to reply with typos and sentence fragments all over the place. They won't notice their own glaring mistakes... they definitely wouldn't notice mine (if I allowed one to get past me!)

I haven't always been that way. Just the last few years or so. The psychiatrist person that I see has told me she thinks I have developed severe OCD, which she did not see in me before (over the six years or so) . . . based on what I say when she asks me what I've been up to. :oops: And over-writing, over-thinking anything written, is one way it manifests for me.

On that note, I really must click "submit" now. :P

ETA: I do realize I used sentence fragments and criticized others for using them ~~ both in this very post. To clarify, when I do it, it's intentional, because I'm writing informally, more like how I would speak.... I was referring to people who unintentionally omit chunks of what they meant to write, and don't care.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2010, 12:13 am

Yes, definitely! It's much easier to write out my what I'm trying to communicate, because I have more time to think about the exact words.

ThomasL
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

10 Oct 2010, 12:57 am

Yep, me too.

pineapple
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2010, 1:04 am

Yes, yes, 100 times yes.

Berlin
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 Oct 2010, 1:08 am

Yes. I think I come across as incoherent and scatter-brained when I'm discussing or explaining things. This is pretty common Aspies I believe. Writing is a much better format in terms of expressing ideas.