My bedroom walls have no posters - aspie thing or just me?

Page 1 of 9 [ 136 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next

DeathByChocolate
Butterfly
Butterfly

11 Mar 2009, 7:09 pm

My bedroom walls have no posters. No stickers, no drawings, no paintings, no dangling items; nothing but plain off-white walls. They've been the same colour ever since I moved in. All my friends seem to have loads of posters and other random things plastered all over their bedroom walls (both guys and girls, though girls probably slightly more). Personally I can't think of a single thing I would want as a poster on the walls, so I just keep them clear.

Is this a common trait for aspies, or is it just me? What do you have on your bedroom walls?

SoulcakeDuck
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2009, 7:13 pm

aspie thing, my walls are empty as well. You got enough going on inside of you.

:::)

Dussel
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2009, 7:20 pm

DeathByChocolate wrote:
My bedroom walls have no posters. No stickers, no drawings, no paintings, no dangling items; nothing but plain off-white walls. They've been the same colour ever since I moved in.

Perhaps an Aspie thing - with me the same.

---

BTW: I you like to change the colour of the walls slowly, but drastically: Start to smoke ... :wink:

sbcmetroguy
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2009, 7:22 pm

My walls were covered with posters of my idols, who back then were heavy metal bands. I also had naked girls on the back of my bedroom door. I spent so much time inside my bedroom away from the world, I had to make it my own space to feel good. I kept the lights off and candles lit, and I'd sit there listening to my music while playing with candle wax. :)

Ruchard
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Mar 2009, 7:22 pm

I have no posters in my room I do not see the point.

audioeyes
Toucan
Toucan

11 Mar 2009, 7:24 pm

I don't know if it's an Aspie thing.

I have nothing on my walls. I once copied something my friends did and put up loads of photos of me and my friends on my door but then I took them down because it didn't feel right. Did this twice, but now my walls are bare. I once had one average sized picture (not photo) on my wall that was a nice reddy/orangey colour with a circle in the middle representing the sun. That fell down lol and we haven't put it back up. I did buy another small canvas-type picture-painting thing that was a deep red colour with circles on it but that has not gone up yet. :/

I am not an Aspie but I do have Aspie traits.

audioeyes
Toucan
Toucan

11 Mar 2009, 7:26 pm

sbcmetroguy wrote:
My walls were covered with posters of my idols, who back then were heavy metal bands. I also had naked girls on the back of my bedroom door. I spent so much time inside my bedroom away from the world, I had to make it my own space to feel good. I kept the lights off and candles lit, and I'd sit there listening to my music while playing with candle wax. :)

Sounds like a haven. I might do something similar with my own room. No naked girls though, ew :P

DeathByChocolate
Butterfly
Butterfly

11 Mar 2009, 7:29 pm

audioeyes wrote:
... put up loads of photos of me and my friends on my door but then I took them down because it didn't feel right

Yep that sounds like me! I've tried fitting in, decorating the bedroom, but it just seems weird having one particular band or movie poster on the wall. Maybe I'm not a big a fan of any one thing, or maybe I just don't like to announce it to the whole world.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2009, 7:30 pm

Don't tell me people really ARE supposed to have posters, etc... like in the movies. I NEVER have!

ImTheGuyThatDidThat
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2009, 7:37 pm

Me too, clean empty walls, i have a few things in some
rooms but then i frame it and do it nice, no posters and
tape. Sometimes i use walls to hang up notes when i
run out of space. Used to have a door that i used as a
scrapbook, the room had clean walls but the inside of
the door was completly covered with a 2 inch thick
layer of pics and letters and stuff, it actually looked
not too bad in contrast to the clean room.

Last edited by ImTheGuyThatDidThat on 11 Mar 2009, 7:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

11 Mar 2009, 7:37 pm

I don't have any either. Pretty soon I will with B&J once I get photo frames. I do have up three B&J posters up in my apartment and Disney posters on my closet doors.

sgrannel
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2009, 7:46 pm

I don't know if it's an aspie thing. I have no posters, and I keep a couple nice pictures someone gave me in a box! I once stuck an "I voted" sticker on the door of my microwave! It was a real SOB to remove that sticker. I can still see the adhesive where it was stuck on. Bumper stickers, posters, anything glued down just makes a mess and is difficult to remove later!

But a dog knows his boy can go wrong

phil777
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2009, 7:50 pm

Used to have no posters... then we went at IKEA and my parents offered to buy me an adorable dendrobate frog picture so i said, oh what the heck. Otherwise i once went to the Salvador Dali museum in florida and since only my dad and i went while the rest of the family was checking shops and the like, my dad offered to buy me a poster ("Hallucinogenic Toreador" For those of you who know) and we got it framed. :) What else... Being a bug freak, i have a few pinned insects within boxes that i have hanged on my wall (if anyone wants to know which species, ask me, but i'm not selling or giving them away <3 ). Otherwise i have a little "do-it-yourself" wooden paint thing that i obviously made... It's quite nice.... And i also have a frame of the Rocher Percé from Gaspé (translation would be "pierced boulder" ? o.O ). I reckon that's all, but i do have an alcove with a board attached where i have additionnal stuff....

Anemone
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2009, 7:51 pm

Most of my life I have not had posters or anything else on the walls. There was one period soon after I moved out of my parents' home where I had posters, specifically from a trip to Grand Cayman Island (a sailboat poster I totally loved) and some environmental posters I got from Western Canada Wilderness Committee (spectacular old growth trees). I had tons of houseplants back then, too. And more recently when I moved to my current place I put a few maps up on the walls because I knew you're supposed to have things up. And they were nice to look at (took them down again when I started wanting to move out many years ago), but it takes a huge effort to accessorize my home. So normally I don't bother.

It actually may be an autistic thing. The two people I've read about whom I think may have been on the spectrum (Cezanne, Garbo) were both known for seriously minimalist home decor.

MizLiz
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2009, 7:57 pm

When I was a kid I'd have posters up all over the place but now I just can't stand the dust they collect. Besides... something about posters just freak me out. People... on the walls...

I dunno. It bothers me.

RandomKid
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2009, 8:00 pm

My walls have some fish stickers and shelves on the wall. The fish were my moms idea since I have a fish themed room.