Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

caligirl
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Nov 2010, 8:16 pm

My mom went with me and waited for me, and we sat and listened to the results together, I totally missed his hinting around. but my mom picked up on it. I left so frustrated until my mom in the car told me, I basically had the asperger's dx, but without the dr. saying the "A" word.. He would not even label any of you with asperger's if you went in there, just with "developmental delay"...and hints to what the dx. is by other dr. standards.., comparisons, and stories of how other people with autism improved in areas with his treatments. this basically what he said.

"You have a developmental delay...the autism spectrum is developmental delays, Asperger's is a developmental delay..you have a developmental delay".

My mom wanted him to just come out and say it, just say the "A" word.. but he just hinted around the bush. :roll:
She was like.. other dr.s call it Asperger's.. but he calls Asperger's Developmental delay.

I think he doesn't like to label people. but we are claiming that hinting around as a Dx. until we can get another one on top of it.

But he did this before when I was 12, when he hinted around at my "attention delay" which is now confirmed as A.D.D.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2010, 8:20 pm

Really? I find that strange. I have AS and I am not delayed in any mental development.

And why did you go to a doctor for for an AS diagnosis, who does not give AS diagnoses?

RainingRoses
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2010, 8:23 pm

Why don't you give him a little hint that you'll pay him when he gives you a proper diagnosis?

I've been told, "you fall somewhere on the spectrum." "Yeah? Where?"

Frustrating...

And it was all for the want of a nail.

caligirl
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Nov 2010, 8:26 pm

He ment, asperger's is a developmental disability. cause I am not delayed either.

Last edited by caligirl on 17 Nov 2010, 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jediscraps
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2010, 8:28 pm

My counselor who my Dr sent me to, screens for learning diabilities and works with and has knowledge of the spectrum told me he generally only uses the term autistic spectrum.

Jediscraps
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2010, 8:34 pm

As I understand the autistic spectrum is considered a Pervasive Developmental Disorder (disability?). PDD.

Last edited by Jediscraps on 17 Nov 2010, 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ScottyN
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Nov 2010, 8:36 pm

It is what I feared. He undoubtedly means what he said. You see how hard it is to get a diagnosis. At least you have something, and he did not say your just a normal person with a few quirks.

caligirl
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Nov 2010, 8:36 pm

He also did dx. me with sensory processing disorder.

caligirl
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Nov 2010, 8:55 pm

I forgot to mention that when he was talking about the autism, asperger's.. she showed us some pics of a kid with the same developmental delay. the kid had been dx. by another dr. as autistic, but he called it developmental delay.

Jediscraps
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2010, 9:00 pm

It just seems to me he prefers calling autism developmental delay. Maybe?
From what I understand autism is a PDD.

caligirl
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Nov 2010, 9:04 pm

yes exactly, cause i went to test specifically for asperger's.

that's what my mom said she heard. cause he spent alot of time on the autism/asperger's subject and only called it developmental delay. while using the word autism and aspergers and saying it was developmental delay.

yet at the same time in other tests, i learned I scored above average in intelligence so I am not delayed like that.

Jediscraps
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2010, 9:16 pm

I don't think developmental delay would have to mean a delay in intellect.

Well, it seems it's good your mom was there to reassure you what the doctor said. Or, to help you be sure of reading between the lines.

I can be like that too for whatever reason. I can understand reassurance from another listener of what was said, even though I might get it. I mean, the reassurance can help, if that makes any sense. I like to be told things like this explicitly.

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2010, 9:20 pm

He has to put an official code on any insurance forms or other paper work that might be used by social services. That code has to be from the DSM or ICD. Find out what that code is and that would be your official diagnosis. He can't make up his own diagnostic category if there is any paperwork that goes to other agencies.

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

17 Nov 2010, 9:24 pm

I told my doc that I wanted a Dx on paper, one page, that I can show to all the people who think they are entitled to dx - I got that and a long written report as well. The thing is, you're going to need to prove you have AS for all kinds of things as you go through life - extra help in school, for example. A Dx is only worth the paper it's printed on.

My Dx sets out the conditions in the DSM, and then says "A Dx of AS is waranted." (sp?) and it's signed. It's on hospital letterhead. Is your doc a psychiatrist? If yes, ask him to put that too.

I'm sorry if I'm ranting but all he gave you was hot air.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2010, 9:30 pm

He should have just told you that you have AS. That's what I think anyways.

caligirl
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Nov 2010, 9:32 pm

My mom just told me this is what the dr. said.

"this is the deffinition of asperger's.. this is what you have... it's the same thing, but i wont call it that, I call it a developmental delay".