Do all Aspies have problem with light, sound, being touched,

Page 1 of 5 [ 68 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

EricS
Raven
Raven

15 Jan 2011, 1:07 am

Do all Aspies have problem with light, sound, being touched, etc?
- I don't think I have any of these problems. In fact, I like being cuddled or tickled, like I found out one Princess, an aspie, her name was Queen Catherine de Medici, also likes being tickled. I can also bend my fingers backwards.
When I was young, I met an accident. I thought all my many different and weird problems was all because of the accident. Now only I know it's actually because of the asperger which I knew only last year.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

15 Jan 2011, 1:14 am

I don't think everyone has the same sensory sensitivities.

I have issues with light and sound, but firm touches aren't a problem, and light touches aren't painful - just uncomfortable. Artificial scents can often drive me up the wall (scented candles, the cleaning supplies aisle at a grocery store, someone sprays lysol or febreze). I have a really hard time with the smell of cigarette smoke, some colognes and perfumes, and some shampoos.

My sensitivities can vary a bit, as well. Some days I have enough trouble with light I wear sunglasses inside the house, other days it's less of a problem. One thing that can impact all of my sensitivities is sensory overload - when say I'm overloaded from loud noises, I'm more sensitive to light, touch, scents, and so on.

Last edited by Verdandi on 15 Jan 2011, 1:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

Puppygnu
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Jan 2011, 1:19 am

My smart seven year old autistic son loves hugs. He will cuddle with anyone at any time. He has been this way since the day he was born. Likewise, I know lots of low functioning kids with autism who love hugs.

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2011, 1:21 am

There are other possible sensory things too. Like do you commonly seek out stimulation in one or more senses

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2011, 1:22 am

You are describing hypersensitivity. There is also hyposensitivity. Someone hyposensitive might seek out flashing lights, like loud sound and want to touch everything.

I'm mostly hypersensitive.

Jediscraps
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2011, 1:34 am

I've never seen anyone on here say they like being tickled until today. I do too. Sometimes if I have a pen or piece of paper in my hand I'll tickle the inside of my elbow joint or on my face. I don't do that in front of anyone though.

Cicely
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2011, 2:13 am

I don't think you can say much of anything about "all Aspies". I do have issues with light, sound, and touch, but there's a wide variety of sensory issues: hypersensitivity, hyposensitivity, any of the senses...some Aspies have problems with some senses but not others, some are hypersensitive to one type of touch (for example) but not another, etc.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2011, 2:37 am

I am very light sensative, I can't stand bright lights and I don't really like a lot of touch espcially if I am not expecting it...I am rather sensative to sound as well. The sound sensativity is a real problem though its worse since I have PTSD...its not abnormal for a loud noise to cause anxiety with that. But the trouble is sometimes something that is not really that loud to everyone else is to me...so I react accordingly.

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2011, 2:37 am

Some weird ways Aspergers effects me:

1) Light shining through half open blinds in a dark room when its daylight outside makes me dizzy and sometimes nauseas,
2) Sirens and firearlms go through my head hurting me and causing anxiety
3) The sound of scissors cutting my hair hurts me
4) Electric hair clippers vibrations hurts me too
5) Vibrations from big machines causes me anxiety
6) I have a high pain threshold
7) Stobe lights cause me anxiety in a dark room
8 ) Sudden loud barks from my dog mikes my ears ring
9) I do not like to be touched
10) I can only get to sleep when I have the nylon side of an old sleeping bag against me everything else is too rough
11) My balance is off causing me to stagger
12) I do not like to be stared at
13) If I look out a car window while looking at the yellow line while the car is moving it will cause me to day dream
14) I forget people's faces and names
15) Spinning, riding my bike in a circle, and running on round track will make me daydream
16) When I was in the army the concussion blast I felt from hand grenades exploding would excite me filling me full over energy

EricS
Raven
Raven

15 Jan 2011, 3:17 am

Todesking wrote:
Some weird ways Aspergers effects me:

1) Light shining through half open blinds in a dark room when its daylight outside makes me dizzy and sometimes nauseas,
2) Sirens and firearlms go through my head hurting me and causing anxiety
3) The sound of scissors cutting my hair hurts me
4) Electric hair clippers vibrations hurts me too
5) Vibrations from big machines causes me anxiety
6) I have a high pain threshold
7) Stobe lights cause me anxiety in a dark room
8 ) Sudden loud barks from my dog mikes my ears ring
9) I do not like to be touched
10) I can only get to sleep when I have the nylon side of an old sleeping bag against me everything else is too rough
11) My balance is off causing me to stagger
12) I do not like to be stared at
13) If I look out a car window while looking at the yellow line while the car is moving it will cause me to day dream
14) I forget people's faces and names
15) Spinning, riding my bike in a circle, and running on round track will make me daydream
16) When I was in the army the concussion blast I felt from hand grenades exploding would excite me filling me full over energy

It's amazing yet scary that you and a lot of other aspies have so many problem. No.10) I have problem of turning my body right, left, right, left, continuously until I can finally sleep. It irritates my wife, really, but luckily she can bare it. Wonder if it's just a habit or really the asperger problem. 14) Faces I may remember, but not names. Only certain people with certain names, I can remember quite easily, why, I do not know. Those names I can't remember, I try and try to remember but still, just after a few hours or days, forgot! And those are actually common names, not fancy or unusual names. I thought I'm the only guy like that, but at least now I know some others also face the same remembering names problem!

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

15 Jan 2011, 3:20 am

I'm okay with faces and forget names too. It can get annoying fast.

quesonrias
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Jan 2011, 3:35 am

Touch is a hug shock to my system if I am not expecting it. It's not painful, just extremely surprising (kind of feels like the jolt of surprise you get when shocked by electric current). If I know to expect touch from certain people, I can be desensitized somewhat with those individuals. However, with others who do not typically or regularly touch me, I will still be extremely sensitive to it. When I was younger, I was so sensitive to it that I could tell when someone was reaching out to touch my hair from behind. I would get shivers up and down my spine when they did touch it, so I would tell them stop before their hand was within an inch of my hair.

Light, sound, and motion sensitivity all vary for me. They are all three much, much worse when my allergies are acting up. My eyes will hurt when I encounter light, I will tremble because of sound, and I will be very sick from motion. During those times, I have to close my door, turn off all light and sound, and then curl up on my bed and try to sleep it off.

I am also much more sensitive in the mornings. I guess the isolation from light and sound makes me more sensitive to it. In order for me to desensitize, I must take a shower before I start the day. I find that the sound of the running water (white noise) helps me greatly. Also, turning off the lights and lighting candles or turning on battery-operated candles helps with adjusting my eyes to light during this time.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
RAADS-R: 187.0
Language: 15.0 • Social Relatedness: 81.0 • Sensory/Motor: 52.0 • Circumscribed Interests: 40.0

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 165 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 47 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2011, 3:38 am

I can only speak for myself, but yes I have a problem with all those things. Sometimes its worse than others. The hearing one is the worst for me, even though only one ear has sensory issues.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2011, 7:00 am

Sight and sound are an issue for me, but I love touches and hugs.

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2011, 7:41 am

Sensory issues are not a requirement for Asperger's. But they are very common. I have a few mild ones. I can't fall asleep if my wife is touching me. The noise of crowded rooms can be agitating. I've noticed that I don't walk in a straight line all the time. I don't really care for hugs. I tolerate them better if I know they are coming or I initiate one.

15 Jan 2011, 8:44 am

no