I feel different from most WP members

Page 1 of 5 [ 72 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2011, 6:26 am

I feel like I'm the dullest member here, sometimes. I see you guys having intelligent conversations with each other, using fancy words and terminology and typing in large and detailed paragraphs, and all that I'm able to do is give a one or two sentence reply and my words seem very simple. There are some threads that go over my head, so I end up talking about the things that I know the most about, as a result. My last IQ score was 113 in high school but my friends and I cheated on the math section, passing the calculator around. I think that my real IQ is closer to 95 - 105. That's why I post so much about The Kinks and the 60s. Those are the things that I know. I also show interest in the interests of everybody else. I'm not trying to be annoying. I'm just not a genus like most of the people here. I think in terms of feelings, and most of you think in terms of logic.

I'm not leaving or anything like that. I just thought that I'd explain myself a little better. I also ask that you don't try to train me to post less about The Kinks, because I really would not appreciate that. All that I ask is that you don't judge me and that you allow me to speak my mind about the things that matter the most to me, and that includes my special interests. I'm not a spammer or a troll. I'm just a little slower but sweeter than most WP members.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2011, 6:36 am

Very few people here are geniuses and I don't think I'm too intelligent either. Join the club! :P

zena4
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2011, 7:18 am

Hello CockneyRebel,

If you want to know, I much prefer to read your posts than many others : at least, I understand everything that you write!

I you were to speak, it wouldn't be as good as I think.
I already heard the real cockney accent in London, long ago, and I didn't understand a single word! Quite embarassing but very funny (I love that accent).

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2011, 7:19 am

Your posts about the Kinks and the 60s don't bother me at all.
Also, you don't seem stupid to me.
Having a high IQ and being able to discuss esoteric topics doesn't make one a better person.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2011, 7:40 am

Longer, more intelligent sounding posts are not always as valuable to me as your comments.

I think you are a valuable and stable voice on WP.

One should only speak of that which is true. How am I to know what is true and how should I speak?

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2011, 8:30 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
I think that my real IQ is closer to 95 - 105. That's why I post so much about The Kinks and the 60s.

Hmm, not sure about the logic behind that statement.

I'll just say join the club. I also feel different from most WP members. Viva la difference!

Kiseki
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2011, 9:26 am

Cockney, of course you aren't stupid! And it's fine to post about what you know and love :) We all do that.

If you ever feel like you have something to offer in a conversation, just join in.

mikey1138
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

06 Feb 2011, 9:31 am

CR, in all seriousness, I would trade 40 of my IQ points for just a little bit of your ability for emotional expression. Your voice and opinions are valued and appreciated here and I'm sure I speak for more than just myself in saying so.

oddone
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Feb 2011, 10:00 am

We are all different from the masses, which is why we are here, and we are all different from each other.

Measured IQ tells us nothing. I've always thought your posts here sensitive and well thought out. You aren't slower than anyone else here, maybe sweeter than me though. :D

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2011, 10:03 am

You are different. That is the magic of individuality.

CockneyRebel wrote:
My last IQ score was 113 in high school but my friends and I cheated on the math section, passing the calculator around. I think that my real IQ is closer to 95 - 105.

IQ tests are problematic in any setting, but one taken in a group setting is utterly worthless, IMHO.

CockneyRebel wrote:
I also ask that you don't try to train me to post less about The Kinks, because I really would not appreciate that.

Huh? I don't see many posts about the Kinks. Maybe in a different forum? Do your thing. Life is too short not to.

mikey1138 wrote:
CR, in all seriousness, I would trade 40 of my IQ points for just a little bit of your ability for emotional expression. Your voice and opinions are valued and appreciated here and I'm sure I speak for more than just myself in saying so.

Well, maybe not 40 points, but yeah. Sometimes this. Being 'smart' isn't always what it's cracked up to be. Imagine having the strongest biceps in the world but the weakest shoulders and elbows. It don't work out so well. My observation is that the most successful people in the world are more emotionally intelligent than average. I would venture as far as to say that higher emotional intelligence and lower intellectual intelligence works out better than the other way around.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2011, 10:18 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
I feel like I'm the dullest member here, sometimes. I see you guys having intelligent conversations with each other, using fancy words and terminology and typing in large and detailed paragraphs,

i do not think you are boring or unintelligent.
you have a basic innocence about you which is endearing.

i also feel like a fringe member of WP because the way i talk is so different to what is expected, and i am not "with it" (as it were). i do not understand most posts by people here, and i refrain from posting because i do not want to waste energy that will be ignored.

you say what you truly think, and you do not google up info to copy and paste here to make yourself seem super smart, and i therefore read your posts always because i know your posts come from only you and not from reworded google research results.

people here soar above my head, but i still say the simple things i see because there is no rule that says i must have an iq that is equal or greater to the original posters iq.

you are a foundation stone of WP, and much of the personality of WP is founded upon your contributions.

even though i never talk to you, i always listen to what you say.

zena4
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2011, 10:35 am

And she's got the beat!
Don't forget she's a drummer!

zena4
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2011, 10:38 am

Actually, I'd love to hear you playing the drums (talking to CockneyRebel).

Have you ever been registered sometimes?
So as we could hear you?

Simonono
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2011, 10:47 am

I feel way different from the other members too. Also I don't even know what my IQ is, because I can't find a good test. But I'm certainly not the insanely intellegent stereotypical aspie, in Mensa and reading giant book after book.

I am perhaps the worst human ever at maths :lol:, and I really struggle to read books that have only words. I have had no experience with the opposite sex, so a girlfriend or marriage is completely out of the question for me.

Anyways, not trying to seem like I'm downing myself :lol:, I am proud of what talents I do have, and being especially different feels like I have my own universe in my head, that no one will ever enter or change. It's all mine, and that is special :D.

Also, you're not dull. We all think differently about what's dull or not. I find what many NT's do, like socializing and partying, and their modern pop music, incredibly dull.

It doesn't matter what other people think about your interests, if you want to, post all The Kinks info you want! I'll read it :wink:. I, also a fan of 60's music, think they're great :D.

Mdyar
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2011, 12:22 pm

The way it dawns on me : Having a common neurological condition doesn't suggest commonality or uniformity in thought or ability.

There are/ were several here that I do identify with and I''m sure that is the way it is with all. Then there some that fit the in the 'most category' and then some in bits.

You see these threads now and again and people do chime in these that they feel like an 'outsider.'

As an example to me: Some threads show a bewilderment on how could someone possibly even have been married with Aspergers, and some even the possibly holding any type of job or even driving a car.

I'm sure this looks both ways, from either vantage point.

When I first arrived I felt like an addlepate in that I jumped the gun when reading peoples experiences in how disabling or deep this reaches. It took a while to find a something common to identify with.

This may sound banal but is true in principal: There are writing styles here that I find marvelous, and I wish I could write as so. But likely there are things that I do that eclipse some.
That way I look at it is there isn't a universal Renaissance man out there.

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2011, 12:26 pm

Those paragraphs were detailed, you used the word terminology for a start.