Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

esh
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

Location: A Consciousness Between Quarks (My physical presence belongs to Estonia)

03 Feb 2011, 7:10 am

Does anyone else feel that numbers are their friends, or numbers are supportive in a way? I also feel differently towards each number and their combinations. For example, 372 feels soft, blue and lukewarm. 43 is scorching hot..

PatrickNeville
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2011, 7:25 am

Not myself but reminds me of this.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbASOcqc1Ss[/youtube]

esh

Location: A Consciousness Between Quarks (My physical presence belongs to Estonia)

03 Feb 2011, 7:34 am

Thanks for sharing. I've never heard of him before! It's interesting that he sees sparks whereas I see/feel dynamic lines and spirals as I calculate. I only have this with numbers. I can't do enormous calculations in my head though, but I notice patterns in numbers and I have a special connection with them, as if they're caring for me

PatrickNeville
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2011, 7:43 am

The term is synthasesia.

I don't understand it well but i believe what attributes to it, is hyperactive neural connections between parts of the brain you use whilst considering numbers and a part of the brain, possibly related to processing *whatever* parts of the brain. Maybe something to do with vision. Maybe another million possabilities which could play a part.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2011, 7:47 am

Numbers were the one thing on the AQ test that I didn't score as a typical Aspie - I have no interest in remembering car number plates. I'm reasonably adept at number-crunching, but I don't particularly like them - they seem cold and heartless to me. I find them much harder to remember than words. I can't even be bothered to do the "complete the following sequence of numbers" questions in IQ tests, I just think "yeuk" and move on. I've no idea why.

Chama
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Feb 2011, 7:50 am

That's amazing. I wish I could know what it feels like for him when he's doing those calculations... what a cool guy~

I truly, honestly wish I were good at mathematics. I've always found it profoundly interesting... it transcends regular spoken language, and it can describe so many things where words can't. I have some days where I've been exceptionally good at math... I learned to multiply before I started grade school, actually... although I never memorized my times tables. Most days, though, attempting anything outside of addition and subtraction makes this ocean roaring sound inside my head.

It's terrible because I will perfectly understand the theories behind even very complicated math, but once numbers come into play I feel this block go up in my head and I know if I could JUST push it away...

Perhaps my mind is at odds with the tens counting system.

I do love numbers, despite my frustration. I'm particular to 3, 4 and 7. They're nice, sharp numbers. :] When I hand-write, I mix up 4 and V, because in my mind they're the same sharpness. So I might write "4ery", or "in 1V95" without thinking.

jc6chan
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2011, 11:34 am

I don't know about numbers but I feel genders with musical notes and car brands. Generally, high musical notes are feminine and low musical notes feel masculine but in the middle of the keyboard there are random ones.

PatrickNeville
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2011, 11:53 am

Interesting Mr President.

Can you hazard a guess at the neurological cause of it?

tall-p
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2011, 4:13 pm

esh wrote:
Does anyone else feel that numbers are their friends, or numbers are supportive in a way? I also feel differently towards each number and their combinations. For example, 372 feels soft, blue and lukewarm. 43 is scorching hot..

I don't have synesthesia... but I have heard of your experience.

When I was an isolated kid who read Mentor Paperbacks for fun and companionship, I read George Gammow's One, Two, Three, Infinity. I was eight or nine, and I was able to get my mind around a billion ever after. It turns out that most people cant... it just made me seem more of an irritating little professor.

esh

08 Feb 2011, 12:24 pm

Chama wrote:
That's amazing. I wish I could know what it feels like for him when he's doing those calculations... what a cool guy~

I truly, honestly wish I were good at mathematics. I've always found it profoundly interesting... it transcends regular spoken language, and it can describe so many things where words can't. I have some days where I've been exceptionally good at math... I learned to multiply before I started grade school, actually... although I never memorized my times tables. Most days, though, attempting anything outside of addition and subtraction makes this ocean roaring sound inside my head.

It's terrible because I will perfectly understand the theories behind even very complicated math, but once numbers come into play I feel this block go up in my head and I know if I could JUST push it away...

Perhaps my mind is at odds with the tens counting system.

I do love numbers, despite my frustration. I'm particular to 3, 4 and 7. They're nice, sharp numbers. :] When I hand-write, I mix up 4 and V, because in my mind they're the same sharpness. So I might write "4ery", or "in 1V95" without thinking.

That is how I'm with languages; I'm good in exact sciences but I experience the same "block" when I'm studying language rules.
I have synthasesia (thank you PatrickNeville for mentioning the correct term) only when it comes to numbers though. When I calculate, I experience it as dynamic lines which move and change into a new spiral pattern when an answer or a new number opens up. I'm emotionally attached to numbers and I feel different emotions when I see different combinations of numbers.

tenzinsmom
Toucan
Toucan

08 Feb 2011, 2:52 pm

I've always wanted to know what this experience with numbers was like...

You must be wired up with lots of connections in the mathematical area of the brain.

Do you have any artistic talent?

It would be lovely to see what you see, feel what you feel through art.

esh

08 Feb 2011, 6:05 pm

tenzinsmom wrote:
I've always wanted to know what this experience with numbers was like...

You must be wired up with lots of connections in the mathematical area of the brain.

Do you have any artistic talent?

It would be lovely to see what you see, feel what you feel through art.

I guess I am "above average" in exact sciences, as my teachers say, but I'm not sure if it's extraordinary. I am extremely fast in solving Physics' problems and exercises, in comparison with my classmates, and it's when I feel that I'm actually "alive". When I'm not calculating or solving a mathematical problem, I feel blank. My thoughts are blank, but I'm not bothered by it; it's just the way it is. Then, I become obsessed over something to the extent of a typical aspie obsession and I feel "alive" again, but it's at another degree. My mind is completely occupied by it and I can be fascinated and passionate about it, but I feel healthy when I actually do maths. I even make mathematical problems from daily situations. I'll form a simple equation in my head just when I learn enough information about a certain subject from a dialogue or text. It happens very fast. I can think of complex equations in my head just as a reaction to someone's sentence which doesn't even have to be math-related. I'm not sure if it's a natural reaction or just something I've learned to do since Maths was one of my obsessions when I was younger and I'd just calculate in my head. But my feelings towards numbers is a natural reaction. I already had it when I was little, I loved numbers very much. Especially as a little child I'd be completely fascinated by different patterns I could find in lines of numbers and so on, and all the different feelings, like if many numbers together made a sentence which I could understand. This is how it is now as well and it has never changed. It just happens without me even noticing or thinking about it. I guess it's quite common with aspies?

I'd love to have taken a positron emission tomography of the brain. It would be really interesting to see, in fact, I'm actually planning on having one in summer. My parents are doctors and I can have it taken without any particular reason :lol:

I am definitely artistic. I have played the piano since I was 4, and I had written music since I was 6; it wasn't that serious until I was 9, when I developed my own style and started writing complete compositions. I do have recordings of them but I haven't uploaded them online yet. I'd like to become a member of Estonian Authors' Society first, so my works will be officially copyrighted, just to feel secure. I have a diploma in music theory (solfeggio), my parents noticed my interest in music and greatly encouraged it so I was studying in music school for 5 years. But my academics went completely downhill few years ago, when I started missing classes because of meltdowns and/or shutdowns, extreme anxiety, later bullying by students from various classes and even teachers. My grades went downhill as well. I basically missed years 6-8 completely and studied at home; I have many gaps because of that, but I do hope that I will improve in future. Now I'm in year 9 and I've been in a special school since last year and I'm a straight "A" student (equivalent to Estonian "5" which is the highest mark). I have 2 autistic classmates, one simply gifted person, probably a genius (IQ of 135 if I remember correctly, and I failed on the test because of my anxiety and didn't even do the mathematical part!), one girl with ADHD, and one NT boy and girl.
I also have a very weak immune system. I'm almost never healthy. I feel very tired quite often and I have swollen tonsils with tonsil stones on a daily basis, which I learned to remove myself since I was little (my apologies for TMI). This is why I'm at home so often and my constant illness certainly influences my academical potential. There were some days when I felt completely healthy and I was rocket-fast in Maths then.. Now it's a lot better though.. nothing helped until I turned to homeopathy which has already shown results and I feel much healthier than before..
I also have many pictures/painting ideas in my head, I just don't draw so well, but I have a strong urge to start painting/drawing. I became obsessed with photography and retouching last year and it's possible to see my work online as well ( http://aishashah.deviantart.com ) but it's nothing that's going on in my mind or which is very artistic; I must admit that the images in my head are completely different, and I mostly followed the styles I had seen on the site mentioned above. I was inspired by many various works so I developed a retouching style from that inspiration. I am pretty sure I will return to photography when I will research everything related to it in order to produce higher-quality work and represent exactly what my imagination dictates me. When I draw, however, even though it's not flawless, I show exactly what's going on in my head. The same is with writing. I can write stories and poems, but I can't express myself through speech.. When I write, I already have the full story in my head, and I start writing the exact sentences I thought of and I can still remember the ending and climax of the story and I see it in paragraphs.