Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Nerdykid
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Feb 2011, 5:02 pm

Does anyone else find it extremely hard to be in silence for long periods of time.

My GF will have the TV volume off and no music going and if I don't put my ear phone on to get some kind of noise going I start getting irratated and annoyed.

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2011, 5:05 pm

(facetiousness alert)
You could not know the sound of insanity without first being insane. Being insane, any description of the experience would be suspect.
(alert terminated)

I like silence.

MidlifeAspie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2011, 6:21 pm

I crave absolute silence, but in this modern world it is almost impossible to find. If I can't have absolute silence I must have an acceptable amount of white noise. A running fan is my favorite.

rabbitears
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2011, 6:26 pm

I just listen to my monumental Buckethead collection on my Ipod. I don't mind noise as long as I'm the one who is in control of it.

Parasaurolophuscolobus. Parasaurcolobus. Colobusaurolophus.
....And Nunchucks are my friends.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

16 Feb 2011, 6:28 pm

Some sort of minimum noise level is nice, when and if I can control or get to it. Sitting listening to waves on a nice pebbly beach is very relaxing.
Can't get to sleep without hearing a small ticking clock though. :roll:

Maje
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2011, 6:49 pm

You never enjoy silence?

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

16 Feb 2011, 7:03 pm

Complete silence, but with just a tiny rhythm to focus on.
But if it's a choice between some small random sound or none, then I'll go for none and have the absolute silence.

Mar1976
Raven
Raven

16 Feb 2011, 7:23 pm

I crave silence, (or at least 1 sound only at a time) but rarely find it

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2011, 11:59 pm

i have an old audiocassette, that purports to have on it, "the sounds of insanity" along with a warning that psychologically challenged listeners should not listen to it, at risk of having a major psychotic break. it was put out by a pmed company.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2011, 12:15 am

I do not like absolute silence.......its weird but silence almost seems louder then a bit of noise, its difficult to explain...but yeah its why I have a hard time sleeping in aboslute silence because its rather overwhelming. I have wondered if anyone else experiances that kind of thing.

Titangeek
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2011, 12:27 am

it's not the silence i dislike, it's the lack of noise :lol:

rabbitears
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2011, 6:01 am

When I'm trying to sleep I often hear blood pumping round my ears and my pulse and stuff, and strange 'white noise' coming from inside my head. (I don't have Tinnitus though.) It can be quite off-putting and keeps me awake.

Parasaurolophuscolobus. Parasaurcolobus. Colobusaurolophus.
....And Nunchucks are my friends.

KBerg
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Feb 2011, 6:11 am

Depends on the social situation. I mean lets be honest, as Aspies there's nothing quite as terrifying as that complete silence of everyone around you after you just said something you thought was a meaningful addition to the conversation. When the only thing you can hear is the traffic outside, the creak of the floor, even people's clothes rubbing against them. And you think, someone's got to say something... but the moment drags on into what seems like an eternity of growing horror until you are finally released by someone breaking the silence and the rest shutting you out of the conversation entirely. Which by now is almost a relief compared to that seemingly endless silence that came before it.

So I don't mind silence when there's just me and one other person, or just me. It's absolute silence in a crowd that I often find uncomfortable because of the association they tend to have for me.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2011, 6:30 am

No, I love silence. If I had a volume control on my ears, I'd keep it turned down to zero unless there was something I specifically wanted to hear.

Rat_Barzane
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

17 Feb 2011, 7:16 am

KBerg wrote:
Depends on the social situation. I mean lets be honest, as Aspies there's nothing quite as terrifying as that complete silence of everyone around you after you just said something you thought was a meaningful addition to the conversation. When the only thing you can hear is the traffic outside, the creak of the floor, even people's clothes rubbing against them. And you think, someone's got to say something... but the moment drags on into what seems like an eternity of growing horror until you are finally released by someone breaking the silence and the rest shutting you out of the conversation entirely. Which by now is almost a relief compared to that seemingly endless silence that came before it.

So I don't mind silence when there's just me and one other person, or just me. It's absolute silence in a crowd that I often find uncomfortable because of the association they tend to have for me.

Why is there no nodding emoticon? I need several hundred of them right now.. SO TRUE... I had a moment of guilty pleasure or something when I observed the phenomenon occur to someone else yesterday.. But I couldn't bring myself to break the silence in case it was then directed at myself *shudders*

As for silence in general.. I don't think I've ever experienced total silence but I go through phases when I crave it, but at other times I can't bloody stand it.. Seems to depend on my state of mind at the time.

Your Aspie score: 155 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 57 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie

ediself
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2011, 10:27 am

auntblabby wrote:
i have an old audiocassette, that purports to have on it, "the sounds of insanity" along with a warning that psychologically challenged listeners should not listen to it, at risk of having a major psychotic break. it was put out by a pmed company.

i can't seem to make out if you're joking or not....are you serious?