Page 1 of 3 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

TigerFire
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2006, 8:14 pm

I'm been wondering while I was mowing the lawn that I've seen pictures of people here not to be been or anything but I'm just wondering why people seem to be kind of have more weight on them than there should be? Don't get the wrong thought because I weigh 180 or 183 something like that. Is it natural or does it have to do with Depression or something that's missing in our bodies that are different from NTs?

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

15 Jul 2006, 8:23 pm

Myself I've been underweight most my life. When I'm depressed I tend to
stop eating. When I'm under stress and working I tend to be at my max weight.
But that was still not overweight. My guess is its more related to depression.
Maybe more depressed people tend to over eat than under eat.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2006, 9:41 pm

Medication is the only valid excuse to explain weight gain in people because they have AS.. thats if they're taking it.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2006, 10:29 pm

I blame my former Weight Gain on Evil Psych Pills. I'd like to find a Psych Pill that supresses Appetite. I also eat, when I'm angry.

Tim_p
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2006, 10:45 pm

Do we? There are overweight people in every neurological catogory.
As Hale_bopp mentioned, some medications can cause weight gain, but many, if not most, aspies arn't on meds.

You might just be seeing that the majority of north americans are overweight.

sc
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2006, 11:31 pm

I tend to keep mine under control. Such as riding my exercise bike or just eating really healthy food helps. Lately I've learned the proper way to do crunches.

Exercise can help with depression and general well being.

Lygophile
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 Jul 2006, 11:34 pm

Another possible reason for weight-gain among aspies would be social anxiety forcing one to stay inside too much and not exercise enough.

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2006, 11:45 pm

Lygophile wrote:
Another possible reason for weight-gain among aspies would be social anxiety forcing one to stay inside too much and not exercise enough.

Thats true I've gone months without leaving my house and yard. I even go
outside little. I read on a depression site how its good to get some sunlight
exposure so I have been trying to spend more time outside. I have high
blood pressure and need to get some cardiovascular exercise.

rpm2004
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2006, 11:49 pm

I have pretty much been overweight my entire life.I have made tons of excuses including the aspergers affectting my judgement but when it comes right down to it,its my fault I eat to much and I dont eat the right foods.

BTW I've recently lost 50lbs...22.7Kg

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2006, 12:11 am

rpm2004 wrote:
but when it comes right down to it,its my fault

I do not think people have freewill so I do not think its your fault. Its your
problem but do you have a real choice. Most our history we have been on
the verge of starvation. In a land of plenty of food were physical work is
not needed people will get overweight. Most my life I've been under weight
and it was very hard to gain weight. Clearily its harder to loose than it is to
gain so I know its not easy for people to loose weight. Its too common a
problem in the US to blame on bad personal choices. I think its evolutionary,
economics , unheathy foods taste good!, etc.

Anna
Toucan
Toucan

16 Jul 2006, 12:20 am

TigerFire wrote:
I'm been wondering while I was mowing the lawn that I've seen pictures of people here not to be been or anything but I'm just wondering why people seem to be kind of have more weight on them than there should be? Don't get the wrong thought because I weigh 180 or 183 something like that. Is it natural or does it have to do with Depression or something that's missing in our bodies that are different from NTs?

Too many Americans are obese. Brits and Aussies are quickly catching up.

Most of our membership is english-speaking, therefore, most likely among populations with high rates of obesity.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2006, 5:04 am

Lygophile wrote:

That's just an excuse, and I don't have any sympathy for people that use AS as an excuse.

Haven't you heard of treadmills?

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2006, 6:30 am

I blame myself, because I was the one who ate the Junkfood, when I was first on my Meds. Now I'm taking responsibility by watching my Eating. I've come up with many excuses. My Mom's side of the Family is chunky. I was born the wrong Gender...I should have been a Man. I have big Bones. If I ate as little as my Sister does, I wouldn't be alive. I'm Poor. I'm a big, healthy Cockney...true Cockneys are on the sturdy side, even though I was born in Canada. (And this is a silly generalization that I've used, regarding Working Class Londoners, so I apologise.) I have a bad Heel. But I've never once used my AS as an excuse.

wobbegong
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2006, 6:42 am

My weight goes up and down.

I'm currently on the pudgy side, pushing the high normal range to slightly overweight, because I stuffed my knee and it's hard to exercise. I can't comfortably do my favourite exercise at all (playing field hockey).

And I'm eating too much for the amount of exercise that I'm doing.

But I did my 30 minutes on the bike today, even though it's cold, windy and raining, so I'll feeling pretty pleased with myself. I just wish my knee would um stop aching.

None of my family that I'd call aspie are fat. Some of them get a little bit pudgy same as me, but they don't get fat. I figure it has a lot to do with our parents. Though if we started eating exclusively from drive through takeaways that could change, but given how many of my ancestors were doctors, and really serious about healthy eating, this is also unlikely.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2006, 7:11 am

I would be thinner if I ate less and excersised more.

Nothing to do with AS.

My weight went up when I was a kid because I was on risperidol.. but apart from that its just me being lazy.

chinatown
Toucan
Toucan

16 Jul 2006, 1:12 pm

Sure, you gain weight if you consume more calories than you burn. But there's the question of why you eat.

True, it's an accepted fact that eating habits are learned. Genetics have some part in it, but that's the main reason why obesity often runs in families.

I gained about 50 pounds when I was on meds. And I know it was them because I lost all of it without any dieting after i quit. My weight is now barely within the normal range. I like eating (not that it necessarily has anything to do with it, but I like sex too). I wouldn't call it compulsive, but I can control it only to some extent.
My mom weighs almost the same as me, and I'm guessing my sister does too. A lot of people in our family (especially grandma) are either obsessed with their bodies or have a weight problem.