Yes, and it's a real problem 70%  70%  [ 26 ]
Yes, but it's not that much of a problem 22%  22%  [ 8 ]
No 8%  8%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 37

ocdgirl123
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2011, 9:21 pm

Can you have AS without executive dysfunction, or is it a package deal? I have it a little bit but it's not much of a problem.

Canadian, young adult, student demisexual-heteroromantic, cisgender female, autistic

dunbots
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2011, 9:26 pm

I would think that having executive dysfunction is one of the integral parts of AS, but perhaps it's not. I know I have it, and it's quite a problem, especially with decision making and "situations where responses are not well-rehearsed or contain novel sequences of actions".

zen_mistress
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2011, 9:29 pm

I have executive functioning problems with tasks and also problems with planning what to say, and problems with focus, and problems with fine motor tasks, so yes it is a big problem.

Taking a break.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

05 Mar 2011, 9:37 pm

I like this page, which describes some possibilities: http://www.iidc.indiana.edu/index.php?pageId=468

It's not really complete, but it's a good starting point.

And I find I have a lot of difficulties with starting, stopping, combining, transitioning, etc.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2011, 9:46 pm

ocdgirl123 wrote:
Can you have AS without executive dysfunction, or is it a package deal? I have it a little bit but it's not much of a problem.

So what is the politically incorrect yet more accurate name for this?

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

05 Mar 2011, 9:51 pm

The politically incorrect term is lazy. It's also inaccurate.

Here's one explanation of executive function, but it's tailored to ADHD's deficits:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GR1IZJXc6d8[/youtube]

OuterBoroughGirl
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Mar 2011, 10:39 pm

I have executive dysfunction, and it's very much a problem. I'm extremely disorganized and incapable of establishing any system or organization. I'm also not so great at keeping track of everything I need to complete. I try making lists, but then I often can't think of all the things I need to do at the time I'm writing the list, if it occurs to me to make a list at all. Thus, there might be crucial items missing from my to-do list. Additionally, there's a decent chance I'll wind up misplacing the list somewhere, and be unable to find it when I need it.
I'm also not so great with keeping in mind a mental list of the sequence of steps necessary for successfully completing a task, and I always seem to forget some crucial steps.
Additionally, I have problems with thinking on my feet. When I'm in a situation requiring quick decisions and/or actions, I may freeze up, so someone else in the situation winds up figuring out what needs to be done while I'm stuck in, "Oh, no, what do I do next?" mode. I also might act without thinking things through, and make decisions, only to realize too late that said decisions make no sense whatsoever and any witnesses now think that I'm a complete idiot with not an ounce of common sense. This is not entirely accurate -- I do have common sense. Unfortunately, said common sense sometimes catches up to me just a little too late -- right after I've mishandled a situation in some brutally obvious way.
I could go on, but I think people get the idea. My life is pretty scattered and disorganized, and I've pretty much given up on trying to manage many aspects on my life. Executive function is very much a problem for me.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2011, 11:21 pm

That was an interesting video, clear and concise. If only I could remember what the 5 factors were. :oops: From my dim recollection I would say I can control my emotions and impulsive behavior and that I have a constant verbal inner dialogue. The actual manipulation of mental tasks is very hard for me.

syrella
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2011, 12:01 am

Executive dysfunction is one of the things that I know I have, seeing as how I'm very sure of the ADD, but not as sure of the AS.

I imagine it's possible to have AS without it, but I think it's usually a pretty key part of it all.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2011, 12:42 am

WOW! I know a lot of people here said their minds were noisy, but do you REALLY have voices ALL THE TIME? How could anyone even think at such times.

For me, now, it is usually QUIET! I CAN use "audio memory". It is used for things relating to audio, like speaking, playing daily scenarios, music and, sadly, often math or some complex problems. ALSO sometimes to enforce learning.

I CAN use "visual memory". Many here said they can do better than I can, but I apparently do better than many. It is used for maps, enforce learning,

I CAN inhibit behaviour, control expression of my emotions(I don't know if anyone can actually control the actual emotions), and plan/problem solve.

Last edited by 2ukenkerl on 06 Mar 2011, 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2011, 2:07 am

My "working verbal memory" scored on some online test in the bottom 5%. I was a bit nonplussed, but it kind of makes sense.

Anyway, the video's really limited and doesn't cover nearly everything or the consequences of these things not working correctly. And I mean even though I made a bit of a snarky joke about "executive dysfunction" being called laziness, I think the category of "executive functions" is vague and fuzzy and filled with many things that may or may not actually be neurologically related. I think what Barkley's targeted are pretty precisely defined both in terms of capabilities and where ADHD complicates things, but the overall concept is not well-defined at all.

The first thing I've found that covers the breadth of difficulties I have with doing things is the movement disorder link above.

I suspect that these problems are sort of core to a lot of autistic impairments - not just what's in the criteria but associated difficulties.

Bluefins
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2011, 5:38 am

Used to be a big problem, but I've figured out how to get the day to day stuff done, so it's not that much of a problem now.

OuterBoroughGirl, I keep a list on my computer. And for forgetting the sequences, you could write them down and stick it where you do that task.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2011, 7:26 am

2ukenkerl wrote:
WOW! I know a lot of people here said their minds were noisy, but do you REALLY have voices ALL THE TIME? How could anyone even think at such times.

For me, now, it is usually QUIET! I CAN use "audio memory". It is used for things relating to audio, like speaking, playing daily scenarios, music and, sadly, often math or some complex problems. ALSO sometimes to enforce learning.

I CAN use "visual memory". Many here said they can do better than I can, but I apparently do better than many. It is used for maps, enforce learning,

I CAN inhibit behaviour, control expression of my emotions(I don't know if anyone can actually control the actual emotions), and plan/problem solve.

Steve

Perhaps constant was overstating it.