Site demographics-- what brings you here?

Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

What brings you to Wrong Planet?
I'm an Aspie 27%  27%  [ 26 ]
I have Asperger's 31%  31%  [ 30 ]
I'm autistic 12%  12%  [ 12 ]
I used to think I was autistic 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I think I might be autistic 2%  2%  [ 2 ]
I think I might have mild Asperger's 16%  16%  [ 16 ]
I'm romantically involved with an Aspie 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I'm the parent of an Aspie 5%  5%  [ 5 ]
I'm the legal guardian of an Aspie 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I'm the sibling of an Aspie 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I'm friends with an Aspie 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I'm a professional who works with Aspies 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I'm interested in autism 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Other 5%  5%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 97

DandelionFireworks
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2011, 6:27 pm

The distinction I'm making between Aspie/autistic/have Asperger's is how you identify, not so much about technical stuff. Wrt "I am the ___ of an Aspie" I mean anyone on the spectrum. I could try to see how you identify your child, but I wanted to keep poll options to a minimum. I picked Aspie (as opposed to ASD, autie or any other equally valid option) since it's short and it's how I identify. Anyway, I'm here because I'm an Aspie and I want to exchange information with other Aspies so that we will all be better off. I also enjoy exchanging information with NTs, especially ones who have at least a cursory knowledge of autism.

NOT A DOCTOR

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2011, 6:59 pm

I wish we could have voted for more than one choice, as I have been diagnosed with Aspergers, while I am also a parent of a child diagnosed with PDD-NOS.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

Taupey
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2011, 9:42 pm

I have Aspergers and I'm the parent of a wonderful Aspergian too. :) But I first came here because I believe I know someone who has Aspergers as well and he directed me here.

Your Aspie score: 167 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 35 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie.

another_1
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2011, 10:30 pm

I chose "I think I might have mild Asperger's," although I'm not so sure it's mild. It's the closest to my perception of my status, though - since I'm pretty sure there was no language delay, I can't (under the current diagnostic criteria) say that I think I'm autistic. And, even though I'm pretty well convinced, since I don't have an "official" diagnosis, I don't feel comfortable saying that I AM an aspie. :shrug:

Cicely
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2011, 10:34 pm

I'm an Aspie. But when I joined I only suspected I had Asperger's.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2011, 10:34 pm

ASD is my special interest and obsession. I am on the spectrum and been diagnosed.

dunbots
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2011, 10:45 pm

Umm... what? "I'm an Aspie" and "I have Asperger's" mean exactly the same thing. :|

Bluefins
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2011, 10:53 pm

DandelionFireworks wrote:
The distinction I'm making between Aspie/autistic/have Asperger's is how you identify, not so much about technical stuff.

I voted autistic.

Puppygnu
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Mar 2011, 11:12 pm

I am a professional that works with persons who have autism for about 16 years. However, autism in not my specialty. Instead, many of my students in special education have autism.

My seven year old son is also autistic.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2011, 11:16 pm

I'm a free-range aspie who does her own thing.

DandelionFireworks
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2011, 12:35 am

dunbots wrote:
Umm... what? "I'm an Aspie" and "I have Asperger's" mean exactly the same thing. :|

Different people prefer one or the other for whatever reason... sometimes. I'm an Aspie and I do not want to say I "have Asperger's."

NOT A DOCTOR

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2011, 1:25 am

League_Girl wrote:
ASD is my special interest and obsession. I am on the spectrum and been diagnosed.

Me too....I keep trying not to think about AS and to change my SI lately bcs I get teased (by family) for being so obsessed with a disorder I have. How long has AS been your special interest and how long after you were diagnosed did it develop? The thing is I was diagnosed at 13...I only recently started reading about it and became obsessed with it……maybe that's why ppl find it so strange. Mine started about a year and a half ago…..

poppyfields
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Mar 2011, 1:42 am

I am diagnosed witth Asperger's but dislike "aspie" even though I sometimes use it. It makes me feel like I'm supposed to buy into the idea of a larger autistic community, when I feel just as isolated from other "aspies" as I do everyone else. I think I came here thinking others would at least partially "get me" here but I stay because ASD's are a secondary interest of mine and I've read just about everything else on ASD's I could get my hands on.

I also have worked with the severely autistic and like to educate on that, since people here are more mild than they like to think (in my opinion). I also would like to work with people with ASDs in my future career, bu that's more up in the air.

DandelionFireworks
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2011, 2:21 am

poppyfields wrote:
I am diagnosed witth Asperger's but dislike "aspie" even though I sometimes use it. It makes me feel like I'm supposed to buy into the idea of a larger autistic community, when I feel just as isolated from other "aspies" as I do everyone else. I think I came here thinking others would at least partially "get me" here but I stay because ASD's are a secondary interest of mine and I've read just about everything else on ASD's I could get my hands on.

Now THAT'S interesting and somewhat unexpected. I'm sorry to hear you feel so isolated. I wonder why you do even among Aspies, given that that's not particularly common. Have people been unkind to you or are they just unlike you?

NOT A DOCTOR

floating
Raven
Raven

06 Mar 2011, 5:11 am

My special interest seems to have become ASD now too. Not sure it's good for me though. I came to this site when I was researching autism, became more convinced that I have ASD and then got diagnosed. I usually have a good laugh and feel comforted when I visit but I do wish that I could actually be friends with people with ASD. I get more satisfaction from this discussion board than with real life interactions (with a few exceptions), which is a bit disturbing for me.

Amik
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2011, 8:11 am

I'm an aspie and I come to WP to talk to other people I can relate to and have something in common with. I'm pretty isolated IRL and don't know any other aspies IRL and am pretty much ignored by the NTs in my life, so it's nice to come here and have someone to talk to.