Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Jacs
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Mar 2011, 1:17 pm

I was trying to explain today to a family friend (who's aged 60) that it was possible I had Aspergers or was on the Autistic spectum today and he asked me if it ws 'a chemical imbalance'

Does anyone know of a link, etc that would exlain to him in plan Englaish was it is and what i go through.

Kail
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Mar 2011, 1:46 pm

You may think mainly in senses. Which means your Senses might be magnified. (Your main brain resource)
Your brain might think for you. Perhaps, primarily in pictures. (enlarged visual cortex)
You also might lack oxytocin. (NT's 'typically' have enlarged social 'complex's' in there brain - which is there primary resource)
Your most likely intelligent.

A really great video :o

http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/eng/templ ... minds.html

Might be my favourite TED talk, enjoy! 8)

Last edited by Kail on 08 Mar 2011, 2:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Poke
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2011, 1:57 pm

Autism is difficult to describe in frank, simple, direct terms, because the frank, simple, direct truth about autism is largely verboten.

By the way, not all autistic individuals think "mainly in pictures". Some, like myself, cannot produce mental images at all.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2011, 8:26 pm

GOOD LUCK! AS basically affects two parts:

1. the brain. This leads to shyness, monologues, social problems, Deficits, Savantism, obsessions.
2. the senses. This leads to extreme sensitivity to sound and/or light and/or touch, etc...

They will try to explain away both. For #1, they will accuse you of being misbehaved, etc.... For #2, they will think you are kidding, etc...

Jacs
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Mar 2011, 4:26 am

2ukenkerl wrote:
GOOD LUCK! AS basically affects two parts:

1. the brain. This leads to shyness, monologues, social problems, Deficits, Savantism, obsessions.
2. the senses. This leads to extreme sensitivity to sound and/or light and/or touch, etc...

They will try to explain away both. For #1, they will accuse you of being misbehaved, etc.... For #2, they will think you are kidding, etc...

This guy is very nice and was trying to be understanding, he just comes from a generation where stuff like Aspergers etc wasn't know about. He's quite good on a computer through so may be I should send him a link to the Wrong Planet.