Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Daryl_Blonder
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Oct 2011, 2:06 pm

I want to know if anyone else on here has been prescribed this medication and if it has helped them.

Over the summer I was in a partial hospitalization program. I was put on Seroquel at first, and we also tried Geodon. These are newer "atypical" antipsychotics and VERY expensive. I asked the Dr. at the hospital why we couldn't go with some of the more affordable drugs in this class, such as Thorazine. The Dr. was adamant that I needed the newer drugs because the older ones had too many side effects.

When I got out of PHP I went back to my psychiatrist I had been seeing for several years. He disagreed with what they had told me in the hospital and didn't believe that I necessarily needed one of the newer pricier "designer" drugs. He kept me on the citalopram (Celexa) that I had been put on in the hospital but agreed to take me off Seroquel. As of yet we haven't tried Thorazine et al.

The problem remained of a med that would help me sleep. I was taken off Ambien because I had been abusing it and had been placed on chloral hydrate for a while but that was losing its effectiveness. I suggested Clonidine, a med that I had been placed on during high school and which I remember helped my sleep. (Clondine, the blood pressure med-- NOT Klonopin, the benzo.) The Dr. said this was a good idea so we tried it. It has helped with my sleep and though I am going through a lot with my life right now I'm doing OK on it.

This is a very old drug that has been around since the '50s but is finding new use in treating autism. I want to hear from anybody on the forum that has been on it, and what their experiences with it are.

**********************************************************************************************

Check out "Problem Child," my published memoir of my life with high-functioning autism.

AHAA
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Jan 2012, 4:15 am

i've actually taken clondine for many years now, it has been useful for me in treating my ADHD but I also take prozac and strattera and those combination works well on me.