Is there anything that everyone seems to understand but you?

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ocdgirl123
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2011, 12:38 pm

I can't seem to understand why having your hair pulled hurts so much, I actually like it to a certain extent. When I in daycare, we used to pull each others' hair and tattle. The person who pulled the hair, got a time out. I remember it hurting a little bit, but not as much as people make it out to be. I mean, hair pulling, the pain of having your hair pulled doesn't hurt for that long. Maybe I just have a high pain threshold for this, but it seems weird. However, everyone seems to think of it as a really, really bad thing. I can understand almost every other thing that causes pain, but this.

I understand that it probably hurts most people more than it hurts me, but I don't understand why some people make such a big deal out of it.

Is there anything you don't seem to understand that everyone else does?

Conspicuous
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

10 May 2011, 12:45 pm

I have the same sort of "insensitivity" to pain. I always just thought I had a high tolerance for pain, but then I realized we autistics just respond to it differently. Like the time I wrecked my bike, breaking my hand and scraping my arm really bad. I didn't lie there in pain; I immediately got up and started laughing. I'm sure my wreck looked hilarious to the cars passing by! :lol:

ssjgoku
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 May 2011, 1:41 pm

yes ,why everyone is absolutely obsessed with mobile phones.I mean at the prospect of being without a phone for a split second they have a heart attack.I honestly hate phones and whenever someone mentions one it does my head in.Now if i am going to get a social life i will of course need a phone but i feel so uncomfortable with one.I have already smashed 4 but enough about the phones this was just an example of the one thing i could not understand.

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2011, 2:13 pm

Mostly things that other aspies don't understand either. Like the need to tell someone you like their haircut even when you really don't and THEY ASKED FOR YOUR FRICKING OPINION. Seriously, if I ask for something, I expect somebody to answer honestly, or why the heck would I ask them?

Avengilante
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 May 2011, 3:17 pm

Human fascination with NASCAR, team sports and 'Reality' Television.

Why people celebrate birthdays or 'Greeting Card Holidays' Greeting cards in general. Just say it. Or don't, I couldn't care.

How funerals do anything to assuage grief, and the concept of 'closure' in general.

Social 'dancing' - What about that is fun? It looks ridiculous.

Having entire conversations by texting. I get the usefulness of a short message, but if you're going to yammer on and on, just CALL for gods' sakes. Its not cute.

Why I am expected to ooh and aah over photographs of your baby. Its a baby. Big deal. Its not MY baby, and really, they all do look pretty much the same.

Same with your kids' school photos and ball team pictures. Big Whup. Kid in a uniform, kid in an uncomfortable sweater. "Boy, they're gettin' big!" Yeah, kids do that. Get 'em outta my face.

Why so many would rather talk about what other people are doing (gossip) than read a book.

How anyone was satisfied with the finale of LOST.

mathesis
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 May 2011, 3:20 pm

watching soccer.

ocdgirl123
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2011, 3:23 pm

mathesis wrote:
watching soccer.

I think the same way about some sports too. Not soccer because my dad has always watched it. I don't understand the pleasure of watching fighting such as ultimate fighting or boxing.

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2011, 3:28 pm

Nothing intellectual, but social.

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2011, 3:29 pm

ocdgirl123 wrote:
I don't understand the pleasure of watching fighting such as ultimate fighting or boxing.

Sadi-... Never mind, that's probably crossing the line.

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2011, 3:31 pm

Avengilante wrote:
Human fascination with NASCAR, team sports and 'Reality' Television.

Why people celebrate birthdays or 'Greeting Card Holidays' Greeting cards in general. Just say it. Or don't, I couldn't care.

How funerals do anything to assuage grief, and the concept of 'closure' in general.

Social 'dancing' - What about that is fun? It looks ridiculous.

Having entire conversations by texting. I get the usefulness of a short message, but if you're going to yammer on and on, just CALL for gods' sakes. Its not cute.

Why I am expected to ooh and aah over photographs of your baby. Its a baby. Big deal. Its not MY baby, and really, they all do look pretty much the same.

Same with your kids' school photos and ball team pictures. Big Whup. Kid in a uniform, kid in an uncomfortable sweater. "Boy, they're gettin' big!" Yeah, kids do that. Get 'em outta my face.

Why so many would rather talk about what other people are doing (gossip) than read a book.

How anyone was satisfied with the finale of LOST.

I'll back you up on everything you said here. Sometimes some things are just so illogical it's almost hilarious.

RonWren
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 May 2011, 6:24 pm

I don't understand why it's inpolite to ask someone you've known for a while what their name is. People say it makes you look like you didn't care enough to remember, but wouldn't it make you care even more to want to remember that person's name enough to ask for it again? Or also be honest enough to admit that you forgot their name?

SilverSolace
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

11 May 2011, 7:41 pm

RonWren wrote:
I don't understand why it's inpolite to ask someone you've known for a while what their name is. People say it makes you look like you didn't care enough to remember, but wouldn't it make you care even more to want to remember that person's name enough to ask for it again? Or also be honest enough to admit that you forgot their name?

I don't understand this either. I feel uncomfortable calling people by their names anyways unless I know them REALLY closely, and I rarely think of a name when thinking of a person, so it's really easy for me to forget... Dx

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2011, 8:54 pm

I don't understand why people have to use such big, fancy words. I don't even know what half of those words mean.

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2011, 9:11 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
I don't understand why people have to use such big, fancy words. I don't even know what half of those words mean.

Adds variety.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2011, 9:15 pm

jmnixon95 wrote:
CockneyRebel wrote:

Adds variety.

It does, but it's pretty frustrating when I'm trying to brainstorm with the two most intelligent people in my Toastmasters group.

Musicprophets
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 May 2011, 9:27 pm

obsession with cell phones
obsession with texting
obsession with facebook
conversations that are full of witty one liners but nothing is really said and everyone is smiling and laughing at every f*****g comment made, when its not even f*****g funny
obsession with being amazed about sports, and being obessed with sportscenter and then talking stats or talking s**t (negative or positive) about an athlete's performance and trying to get everyone to agree to your opinion even though its f*****g pointless.
obsession with reality television and how we have fallen in love with the same stupid s**t on television
online dating...what the f**k is the f*****g point of that s**t? and how the hell can you possibly take it seriously?