Page 1 of 6 [ 86 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Dark_Lord_2008
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 May 2011, 2:08 am

Aspergers is a rare condition diagnosed in young children. It is much harder to diagnose in adults. Computer nerds, introverted personality, shyness and social anxiety are commonly mistaken for Aspergers.

Unless you are really diagnosed there is no way for sure knowing whether or not you have Aspergers. You are either an Aspie or an NT. There is no half Aspie and half NT. AFAIK you only have Aspergers if you are officially diagnosed by a trained medical professional.

Maybe you thought you had it and declared to WP and the world you had it. Only 1 in 300 people have Aspergers. 1 in 100 have Autism. 1 in 3 Autistic people have Aspergers, regarded as a mild form of Autism.

Has anyone found out they did not have Aspergers by a medical professional?

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

15 May 2011, 2:18 am

I want to be sarcastic here.

I would like to see just one of these threads acknowledge the difficulties and obstacles that adults face in trying to get diagnosed, rather than just saying "You can't possibly know unless a professional confirms it for you." That is an argument that gets repeated on a practically weekly basis here with very little logical underpinning. It would be nice to see acknowledgment of the fact that getting a diagnosis can be difficult.

androbot2084
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2011, 2:29 am

One day my Psychiatrist called in my Mother for a joint session. He asked my Mother questions about my childhood. My Mother described my behavior and my Psychiatrist immediately classified my childhood behavior as Autism. At that time I knew very little about Autism other than seeing the movie Rainman which was a character that I did not identify with. When I went to see my Psychiatrist I had no preconceived notions or self diagnosis other than the fact that other people had considered me to be schizophrenic. So if I come across as this amatuer Psychaitrist nothing could be further from the truth. The only reason that there could be doubt is that at the time my Psychiatrist did not elaborate on my Autistic condition.

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2011, 3:21 am

Yes, there is a such thing as a half aspie/NT. While an NT and an aspie are totally different from one another, you can't possibly take a group of people and classify them as aspie or NT. There's always going to be people in between. It's just like something as basic as hair color. You could say that there's two types of hair, dark and light, but that's not true. Some people have really dark or light hair, some people have hair that could be classified either way. Once again, that's why it's called a spectrum. There are varying degrees of intensity of just about anything. Autism is no different.

nemorosa
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2011, 3:34 am

Dark_Lord_2008 wrote:
you only have Aspergers if you are officially diagnosed by a trained medical professional.

Ah yes, these trained medical professionals.

I was told by one psychiatrist that he didn't think I could have aspergers since I had shown that I cared for my children and partner. Apparently aspies have no feelings.

Henbane
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2011, 3:39 am

Dark_Lord_2008 wrote:
you only have Aspergers if you are officially diagnosed by a trained medical professional.

This is not logical. If I have a brain tumour, I have it regardless of whether or not is has been diagnosed by a trained medical professional.

The same applies to Asperger's.

Sydney
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 May 2011, 3:46 am

I do not need a doctor to tell me I have a head. I do not need a doctor to tell me I have a brain. I do not need a doctro to tell me I have autism.

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2011, 3:47 am

Only a doctor can then give you the right meds. Right? So only a trained doctor can take your money, right?

This has got the weaner award written all over it

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2011, 4:08 am

nemorosa wrote:
Dark_Lord_2008 wrote:

Ah yes, these trained medical professionals.

I was told by one psychiatrist that he didn't think I could have aspergers since I had shown that I cared for my children and partner. Apparently aspies have no feelings.

I was told I didn't have aspergers by a psychiatrist (who later admitted he knew nothing about ASDs) because I felt sad when my Granny died. I was also told that I couldn't possibly have AS/TS and OCD combined and he told me to pick one and stick with it 8O WHAT THE HECK!!? I originally learnt about AS myself and later a professor, a team of experts a paediatrician and a neuropsychiatrist all diagnosed me with AS and TS. The OCD was also true back then, however I've conquered it and now only have obsessive behaviours rather than the full condition :)

So yeah, just being diagnosed by one 'professional' makes your diagnosis no more valid than if you self-diagnosed...

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2011, 4:19 am

I don't think I have ever been told I didn't have it. However when I was ten, my mom got me tested for it and my doctor said I didn't have it but doctors can miss it you know. It has happened before to kids.

If someone is half aspie and half NT, what are they? Oh I know, borderline aspies/NTs or mild AS. You either have it or you don't.

Dark_Lord_2008
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 May 2011, 4:51 am

In my view/opinion you either have Aspergers Syndrome or do not have Aspergers Syndrome.

Doctor Spock from Star Trek is logical and rational character and shows no emotions/feelings at all towards his fellow Star Trek crew. Doctor Spock is the pin up boy of the typical person with Aspergers Syndrome.

Aspergers are logical and rational people who can not show feelings, express emotions or show empathy towards other people. If you can not show remorse or empathy towards others and you are a compulsive manipulative liar: you could have Aspergers Syndrome.

Aspergers are self centred it is like they are the only person in the world. Mr Bean the character played by Rowan Atkinson has Aspergers Syndrome. Mr Bean rarely talk and is self centred and does not show empathy towards other people.

You do not talk, self centred and immature. You possibly have Aspergers Syndrome.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2011, 5:00 am

Dark_Lord_2008 wrote:
In my view/opinion you either have Aspergers Syndrome or do not have Aspergers Syndrome.

Dear Valdermort...
I would not invest such a level of slavish dependence on a label so loosely defined that it will vanish from the annals of DSMV.
Perhaps with a wave of your elder wand you could make us self DX muggles vanish as well.

Supernova008
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

15 May 2011, 5:03 am

Dark_Lord_2008 wrote:
Aspergers are logical and rational people who can not show feelings, express emotions or show empathy towards other people. If you can not show remorse or empathy towards others and you are a compulsive manipulative liar: you could have Aspergers Syndrome.

Isn't that more that diagnosis for Psychopathy rather than Aspergers?

Twirlip
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

15 May 2011, 5:06 am

Dark_Lord_2008 wrote:
Aspergers is a rare condition diagnosed in young children. It is much harder to diagnose in adults. Computer nerds, introverted personality, shyness and social anxiety are commonly mistaken for Aspergers.

Unless you are really diagnosed there is no way for sure knowing whether or not you have Aspergers.

All that is true, I think.

Moreover, I have started to read Attwood's The Complete Guide to Asperger's Sydrome, and even from the first few pages, I feel practically certain that I can't possibly be an Aspie. On the other hand, I know I'm something, even though that something doesn't have a name (and therefore can't be diagnosed), and this something has an important overlap with AS.

WP seems welcoming to people such as I, especially as I am seriously trying to work out whether I might be on the spectrum (and this is very, very difficult when you are 59 years old and had a breakdown at age 19).

I don't believe I am intruding here, but threads like this make me feel I am. Life is hard enough already, thank you.
Dark_Lord_2008 wrote:
You are either an Aspie or an NT.

Asperger himself disagrees with you, but you know better, of course.
Dark_Lord_2008 wrote:
There is no half Aspie and half NT. AFAIK you only have Aspergers if you are officially diagnosed by a trained medical professional.

That is a logically absurd statement.

I don't think it can be excused as mere carelessness, because you must know perfectly well what a sensitive issue this is, therefore you are deliberately trolling.

I'm getting sick to death of threads like this, which are designed to stir up trouble, distress, and dissent. The valid part of what you said could have been said without also talking offensive, purist, fundamentalist crap.

nemorosa
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2011, 5:09 am

Dark_Lord_2008 wrote:

Doctor Spock from Star Trek is logical and rational character and shows no emotions/feelings at all towards his fellow Star Trek crew. Doctor Spock is the pin up boy of the typical person with Aspergers Syndrome.

Aspergers are self centred it is like they are the only person in the world. Mr Bean the character played by Rowan Atkinson has Aspergers Syndrome. Mr Bean rarely talk and is self centred and does not show empathy towards other people.

You do not talk, self centred and immature. You possibly have Aspergers Syndrome.

I see where you are coming from now. And this post just confirms it.

Sydney
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 May 2011, 5:20 am

why do these threds keep hapening. its geting very anoying.