Page 1 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

nikoa
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Jun 2011, 10:37 am

No one hold pencil like me.. position is in right hand, pencil lies on ring finger and i hold it with my tree other fingers, free is only pinky finger. Because people have watched me always strange, i hold pencil properly when some one look on me, but when no one watch me, i take my position of pencil. Is this common for asperger syndrome?
(Sorry for my English, you can free check it and tell me for mistakes).

Last edited by nikoa on 03 Jun 2011, 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Roman
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2011, 11:00 am

I haven't seen anyone holding it so strangely. But then again, I don't really pay attention to that either.

By the way this brings a different subject. I remember back in first grade they made me memorize how to hold a pencil. I doubt I hold it that way. But its not like I am saying 2+2=5; I am a physicist so I do my math correctly. But, from the point of view of first grade teacher, my not holding a pencil right is just as bad :) Isn't it amusing?

Phonic
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2011, 11:35 am

How you hold your pencil is based on your muscle tone, some people never develop past cluthing there pen in a fist shape, the most efficient way is to hold with your index, middle and thumb joining together around the pen.

I hold my pen a bit oddly, my thumb sticks out.

Dantac
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2011, 11:56 am

I suggest we start a ' post a pic of your hand holding a pencil' thread.

..umm.. for.. research...and 'cause we're bored.

:idea: :twisted:

draelynn
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2011, 12:00 pm

I'm left handeded and I hold a pencil the same way and always have. It offers greater control and stability. As a kid, I needed that because needing to write left to right, I needed to learn alternate hand postions as not to smear my work. I have to adopt an overhand position - my hand above the line instead of oriented to the side - and the added stability on the pencil really helped. I can write in the 'normal' position but it is uncomfortable and unnatural to me. And there really is no reason to change it.

If it ain't broke - don't fix it.

It's a curiosity, nothing more.

tomboy4good
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2011, 12:14 pm

I am also a lefty, & hold the pen or pencil in such a way not to smear my work. I loved the idea of erasable ink in the early 80s when they first came out. But I ended up smearing my writing, & I had more ink on the outside of my little finger all the way down the side of my hand. Embarrassing! I favor writing with a pencil because I can easily correct my mistakes. I make many! Other than the fact that I hold my hand in a hook position, I don't think there is anything else remarkable about the way I hold a pencil.

Aspie Score: 173/200, NT score 31/200: very likely an Aspie
5/18/11: New Aspie test: 72/72
DX: Anxiety plus ADHD/Aspergers: inconclusive

nikoa
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Jun 2011, 12:20 pm

Dantac wrote:
I suggest we start a ' post a pic of your hand holding a pencil' thread.

..umm.. for.. research...and 'cause we're bored.

:idea: :twisted:

:lol: I like that idea.

Nordlys
Toucan
Toucan

03 Jun 2011, 12:40 pm

The right-handed pengrip is akward. I tried to correct it many times (i am triyng to correct my pengrip right now after having had symptoms of CTS)
The left-handed pengrip is regular.

- La diversità è l'elemento principe del mondo -

Ellytoad
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Jun 2011, 1:58 pm

I hold my pencils like you do. Holding it in the "normal" way feels weird... too loose, like it's going to fall out of my hand.

pree10shun
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2011, 2:10 pm

I guess it's the same with NT's. They have their own different styles of holding a pen. I however keep changing my style of holding the pen. My grasp is very firm because otherwise I get clumsy from poor motor coordination.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2011, 3:04 pm

i think hold it like you, nikoa. and i hold it very tightly. this is my hand:

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2011, 3:06 pm

This is my typical pencil grip--
[img][160:179]http://i54.tinypic.com/2885fz9.jpg[/img]
Needless to say, with my fingers actually bent backward and having to grab the pencil so hard, it's difficult for me to write for a long time. The disability services office at my school actually lets me use a computer word processor (without any of the frills--no spell check or anything like that) to type up essay tests.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2011, 3:12 pm

Callista wrote:
This is my typical pencil grip--
[img][160:179]http://i54.tinypic.com/2885fz9.jpg[/img]
Needless to say, with my fingers actually bent backward and having to grab the pencil so hard, it's difficult for me to write for a long time. The disability services office at my school actually lets me use a computer word processor (without any of the frills--no spell check or anything like that) to type up essay tests.

SAME AS ME!! ! my fingers just don't bend back as far as yours, as my joints are inflexible. but you can see how tightly i am gripping it (my knuckles are white too), just like you. neat! i have never seen another person do that IRL.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2011, 3:19 pm

Oh, it's a good thing for your fingers not to be that flexible. It lets you grip the pencil without putting as much stress on the joints as I do. I'm somewhat double-jointed, which can lead to fatigue because the muscles work harder to keep the loose joints in place. Not a huge issue, just a physical quirk. Though I did get annoyed when I was a kid because I kept spraining my ankles.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

raisedbyignorance
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2011, 3:54 pm

The way I hold my pencils causes a lot of pressure. I can never use a mechanical pencil cuz the way I use them causes the point to break off easily and constantly.

nikoa
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Jun 2011, 4:10 pm