Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Jaseinspace
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

19 Jan 2016, 4:03 am

For some time I've been experiencing brain fog where I can't concentrate and my memory is just terrible. When I watch a tv show, or read a book, or have a conversation it's like I can't absorb the information being fed to me, like there's a barrier inside my head blocking it out. I'm real fuzzy on the details afterwards. I can't focus on task and get distracted quite easily. After a year at my job I still didn't know where some things were when people asked and forgot things very easily. Meanwhile my coworkers had no trouble. It's a good thing I was still a hard worker despite that, and people thought I was laid back person. Can anyone relate? Does anyone have any tips to escape the fog?

Adam_K93
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

19 Jan 2016, 4:47 am

All the time...being on ADHD meds helped a lot.

Supplements like fish oil and vitamin B sometimes helped as well, but not nearly as much as the meds.

Other than that, besides smoking (which I don't recommend), only meds worked. I tried exercise, changing diet, removing distractions, yoga, breathing techniques, nothing else really helped.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2016, 5:45 am

All the time for me too.

Bubbles137
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2016, 5:52 am

Yep :/ I call it brain fuzz and happens when there's a lot going on (usually emotionally- I get overwhelming emotions that are hard to deal with) and my brain sort of 'shuts down'. Takes ages to clear and I hate it because everything seems slower and less 'real' than usual. No idea how to get rid of it though.

Lockheart
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Jan 2016, 6:43 am

Yes, and it seems to be made worse by the mirtazapine I'm on (and may not be on for much longer due to this problem). I can still fight through it to work and study but I wish I didn't have to.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2016, 7:24 am

I experience it constantly, but I'm only what I am.

beakybird
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2016, 7:34 am

Yes me too. As was said it gets WAY worse when I'm on "overload". My brain starts to shut down, and even starts to impair my motor function. I get REALLY dumb when that happens. I forget the most basic of things and more or less have to stop everything if possible. Even in general, information I don't find interesting simply doesn't register. I can intensely try to implant it, and have very little success. On the other hand, if I find something interesting, I can retain a mostly isolated useless fact for years from having seen one Tv show about it one time. But I found it interesting so it just stuck in there on it's own.

To be fair I do smoke pot alot. So perhaps that's a big reason why I have some of these issues. But I can remember this happening even back in grade school.

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2016, 8:35 am

Yes....and both people an I myself often wonder, why I didn´t catch bits of the information. Of course it gets worse, when there is overload.
I can watch a movie and see a lot of details and moments and not be able to say, what it was about.

Astro77
Raven
Raven

20 Jan 2016, 7:08 am

Bubbles137 wrote:
Yep :/ I call it brain fuzz and happens when there's a lot going on (usually emotionally- I get overwhelming emotions that are hard to deal with) and my brain sort of 'shuts down'. Takes ages to clear and I hate it because everything seems slower and less 'real' than usual. No idea how to get rid of it though.

I'm kind of the same way. When I'm feeling really emotional it's like my body shuts down because I'm trying so hard to fight the brain fog. I can also have problems absorbing information. If I'm really out of it I'll have to rewatch scenes because I don't know what happened. I'm not sure if it's dissociation or just brain fog. I was diagnosed with ADHD back in May and the adderall I've been prescribed has really helped, but I still have my moments.

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2016, 12:40 pm

What IS brainfog really - apart from the confused feeling of fog and the loss of ability to take action?