Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

TheHaywire
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2011, 11:26 pm

I am in the middle of a divorce in addition to being the target of a long time stalker. It is often hard to get lawyers to take me seriously since I am so disorganized and have a problem with timelines. I was wondering if you guys knew of any legal advocay groups that could help me out. I believe that if an NT was in my situation they would be collecting thousands.

Tayribeiro
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

12 Jun 2011, 3:58 am

I believe there are many lawyers in Big Cities not too far from you, as for the stalker, you should contact the police,they might be dangerous.

oddone
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Jun 2011, 8:31 am

Lawyers are a pretty conservative lot, and it can be difficult for people with alternative appearances, lifestyles and experiences to secure adequate representation. However disorganisation with deadlines set by the courts can make you a nightmare client. The other party is entitled to the case being conducted with reasonable speed - they need to know where they stand and to keep going back to court to ask for extensions because you are not ready starts to look like abuse of process. You need to get a list of things to be done and their deadlines from your lawyer, work through them in a systematic way and tick them off once complete. And don't let documents accumulate on your desk - as soon as you are finished with them file them. Of course it's always easier to start with a clear desk and thet's probably not where you are now. There may be a law centre or advice centre who could help you get organised, or could you get a friend or two on board to keep you organised?

Are you in contact with the police about your stalker?

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2011, 8:53 am

Keep it simple when talking to an attorney. Try to stay calm and collected, unless your attorney tells you othewise. If your attorney says that you can't bring up an issue in court, just drop it. The legal system will not always make sense, and you'll have to accept that for now. If you want to change it, take up political activism; arguing with your lawyer won't accomplish that goal.