Do you think you're NT but really aspie and want to be NT?

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In the Andes, counting the stars and wondering if one of them is home to another civilization

11 Jun 2011, 9:53 pm

I don't know if I am NT or aspie, but I like to think I'm NT and I want to be NT, but much of the evidence so far suggests I have a lot in common with aspies in the way of thinking, situational interpretation, social reciprocity (Or lack thereof), idiosyncratic speech patterns, unusual regulation of facial expressions, ToM impoverishments, odd tonality and possibly kinesthetics... and I was wondering...

Et tu?

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

11 Jun 2011, 9:57 pm

I don't really want to be an NT, no. I want to write my novels and get restful sleep, mostly. Live on my own, visit the beach more, get a laptop, have two cats for my only company at home (one cat will be super clingy), have my application for SSI approved, own all the books I want to read. This is not an exhaustive list.

But be an NT? I don't even know what that means.

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In the Andes, counting the stars and wondering if one of them is home to another civilization

11 Jun 2011, 9:58 pm

Verdandi wrote:

To be NT means to not be aspie. :P

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

11 Jun 2011, 10:04 pm

swbluto wrote:
Verdandi wrote:

I don't consider myself to be an Aspie as it stands. But what you just said is excessively abstract. How do I subtract everything that is autistic about me and predict what I would be like?

pree10shun
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2011, 10:06 pm

It came out of the blue when I was diagnosed because I never really gave it a thought though my mom has aspergers. I was angry in the beginning but then meh I don't know what I am missing if I have never been a NT... My medication has kept me stable so I just accepted it and let it go...

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2011, 10:11 pm

Verdandi wrote:
swbluto wrote:
Verdandi wrote:

I don't consider myself to be an Aspie as it stands.

You don't?

Quote:
How do I subtract everything that is autistic about me and predict what I would be like?

I was going to say "Imagine what it would be like someone else who didn't have that particular trait", but then I realized that's a core difficulty for aspies. Hmmmm... I don't know. It seems somewhat easy for me to guess what I would be like just by observing what other people are like, and then picking traits in other people that are similar to me and putting them in that person, and then stir together and voila, the possible version of me with certain traits and without certain traits.

For example, the version of me with "common sense" would've instantly recognized what the shoes salesman was implying (There are more shoes in the back that an employee could retrieve for me), and that I would've asked for an employee to get a particular model of shoe instead of me physically going back there and getting it. That seems fairly easy for me to imagine. :lol:

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2011, 10:16 pm

swbluto wrote:
Verdandi wrote:
swbluto wrote:
Verdandi wrote:

I don't consider myself to be an Aspie as it stands.

You don't?

Nope, I don't like the words "Aspie" or "Asperger's."

Quote:
Quote:
How do I subtract everything that is autistic about me and predict what I would be like?

I was going to say "Imagine what it would be like someone else who didn't have that particular trait", but then I realized that's a core difficulty for aspies. Hmmmm... I don't know. It seems somewhat easy for me to guess what I would be like just by observing what other people are like, and then picking traits in other people that are similar to me and putting them in that person, and then stir together and voila, the possible version of me with certain traits and without certain traits.

For example, the version of me with "common sense" would've instantly recognized what the shoes salesman was implying (There are more shoes in the back that an employee could retrieve for me), and that I would've asked for an employee to get a particular model of shoe instead of me physically going back there and getting it. That seems fairly easy for me to imagine. :lol:

I can imagine what different people might be like and even predict their behavior. I could imagine a version of me that has none of my deficits that I am aware of, but I can't say whether it would be accurate. I used to spend a lot of my time ruminating about making different decisions which would have enabled me to succeed at whatever, but I didn't really imagine myself as NT so much as being able to function as well as an NT without really considering why I did not.

I've had people tell me they really identified with me and felt we had similar personalities or whatever, too, and I just couldn't see it. I don't see where they make the connection.

I didn't mean to derail your thread. :)

Last edited by Verdandi on 12 Jun 2011, 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

raisedbyignorance
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2011, 11:27 pm

I got my AS diagnosis shortly before graduating high school and was gungho on the NT mindset all throughout college. Not intentionally, but because I was still unaware of the far extent of how autistic I really was. When I got the diagnosis, I thought that AS was just a friend-making difficulty condition and if I did made any friends in college, I got lucky (which I did sorta). Combine this with my parents' complete ignorance of AS and their constant belief that I would get over it and college for me became a disaster. I was unaware that all of my other symptoms of AS would be a far greater issue such as instruction confusion, sensory issues, poor facial expression, social anxiety, meltdowns. If anything the only reason I made friends in college was because I was considered attractive looking. That added to my NT confusion I think (though not being attractive might've done the same thing).

I guess it was a different time when the world (and not even the people who have it) have yet to understand what having Asperger's was REALLY all about. And now that I do I've disposed the NT mindset with minimal regrets. I'm only capable of ever being NT in my own head and that's something I've come to realize.

Ghonasiflaids
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

12 Jun 2011, 8:15 am

I honestly dont care for almost all NT activities besides being able to get girlfriends so no.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2011, 8:44 am

I don't really care for all the popular activities, trends and interests that NTs are in to, so my answer has to be No.

kittie
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2011, 9:46 am

Oh my gosh, this was me 3 years after diagnosis. :P

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2011, 9:49 am

No; However I am what I call a well adapted Aspie. I married an NT and most of my children are NT so I have learned to adapt my external behavior to NT norms. Inside I am Aspie through and true, and I have to fight my literal mindedness and one-track mode to get along with my NT neighbors and relatives.

ruveyn

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2011, 2:21 pm

I am Aspie but I want to be NT sooo bad.

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2011, 2:27 pm

:?

I seriously don't know... I'm either a mentally ill NT that sort of resembles an Aspie or a mentally ill Aspie with some NT-like traits.

My therapist thinks I should get testing done, but my friends who are in the mental health field think I am not an aspie.

I just wish whatever it is I was born a person that had an NT brain, not AS, not mentally ill, but still had the passions I have and higher than normal intelligence.

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

FINALLY diagnosed with ASD 2/6/2020

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2011, 2:42 pm

Angnix wrote:

I seriously don't know... I'm either a mentally ill NT that sort of resembles an Aspie or a mentally ill Aspie with some NT-like traits.

My therapist thinks I should get testing done, but my friends who are in the mental health field think I am not an aspie.

I just wish whatever it is I was born a person that had an NT brain, not AS, not mentally ill, but still had the passions I have and higher than normal intelligence.

You've gone through this rollercoaster for months. I'd say just go get tested and hopefully set your mind at ease. People can keep giving you conflicting messages for years, but it won't help.

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2011, 2:48 pm

Verdandi wrote:
Angnix wrote:

You've gone through this rollercoaster for months. I'd say just go get tested and hopefully set your mind at ease. People can keep giving you conflicting messages for years, but it won't help.

Years is literally correct, I've been getting conflicting messages since 2007 from different people. All the online tests put me on the border of NT/AS or slightly AS. Plus I'm and adult female.... though I have my childhood psych records which make me sound more AS/ADHD mix.

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

FINALLY diagnosed with ASD 2/6/2020