Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Tyazii
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

19 Apr 2012, 8:34 am

Or is it just me? I've always been in the habit of examining options and looking deep into the branch of directions particular choices could take me. I've always been like this in one way or another. When I was six or seven, my older sister (In high school at the time) said she would kill me when we arrived home - for reasons that I have forgotten. I took it literally. I started to panic and examine all escape routes. I have also always been very good at chess.

Is this something to do with Aspergers and/or Autism or am I simply behaving like a prey animal?

nikkiDT
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Apr 2012, 10:16 am

Tyazii wrote:
Or is it just me? I've always been in the habit of examining options and looking deep into the branch of directions particular choices could take me. I've always been like this in one way or another. When I was six or seven, my older sister (In high school at the time) said she would kill me when we arrived home - for reasons that I have forgotten. I took it literally. I started to panic and examine all escape routes. I have also always been very good at chess.

Is this something to do with Aspergers and/or Autism or am I simply behaving like a prey animal?

I'm like this too with everything. However, I can't say for sure if this is an "Aspie thing" or not. It could be.

EstimatedProphet
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Apr 2012, 10:28 am

I think it's just our propensity for over thinking. It's easy to form a good strategy when you've thought about every single detail and possibility.

bizboy1
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2012, 11:31 am

Yes

Cerberus_01
Raven
Raven

19 Apr 2012, 1:04 pm

I can't say if it's a aspie thing or not either, but that trait has helped me out in the military quite a few times.

Magneto
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2012, 7:38 am

Maybe coming up with a strategy is Aspie, but following it through doesn't seem to be.

Not that I would generalise Aspies. I've met, in real life, quite a few Aspies, and they've been very different to each other; the only trait they've had in common is a focused interest on one subject and impairments in social interaction :wink: One of them fancies himself a strategist, but is far too impulsive to actually use any strategy - which is annoying when I'm trying to explain Chaos Legions tactics for Megazone. Several are very much born followers (is that a common trait with Aspies?), without significant strategising ability.

Oldout
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2012, 10:42 am

Stategists might not be the right word, perhaps analysts would be better. That said, I suspect that any problem, issue, etc. probably triggers our natural instinct to examine it, think about it, then respond. Keep in mind there also triggers which can set off meltdowns before this analytical tendency even begins.

edgewaters
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2012, 12:33 pm

Tyazii wrote:

Except for the part about being too literal, I relate. I'm only moderately good at chess though. It's too concrete for me, I'm more of a fuzzy logic/abstract sort, which is why I like games based on the concept of grand strategy.

I'm always inventing solutions, predicting their outcome, discarding them, rewriting them.

brickmack
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

21 Apr 2012, 6:31 pm

Yes. I play halo a lot, and often (after some convincing) manage to get the players on my team to follow battle plans and such that I come up with. Never lost a battle that way.