Page 1 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Kiseki
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2010, 12:31 am

I can't remember ever having an issue with it except for ONE time in elementary school. A nasty teacher I didn't like came into my classroom and wanted to greet my class. We were sitting on the floor and had to stand up, shake her hand and say hello. I remember standing up and she grabbed my hand but I refused to look at her or say hello. She yelled at me!

Other than that no one has ever mentioned I had trouble with eye contact. I don't think I do now either. Sometimes I look to the right when thinking of what I want to say. That's it.

Is it very abnormal for a person with AS to have typical eye contact?

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2010, 7:42 am

I'm wondering the same thing too. My psychiatrist won't consider that I might have AS because of eye contact. I'm still trying to figure out my social problems and the obsessive interests, but maybe it's being caused by something else.

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

FINALLY diagnosed with ASD 2/6/2020

SuperTrouper
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2010, 8:00 am

It's diagnostically possible, sure, just unusual.

Kiseki
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2010, 10:04 am

I also can read faces, which is why I am curious. I fit like every other criteria for AS except these two very MAJOR things.

kx250rider
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

30 Jun 2010, 10:35 am

I've always found eye contact to be on a parallel with a physical pain, and forcing myself to make fake eye contact in social situations, makes me forget every word of an introduction or conversation. If I'm having a serious talk with my wife, or explaining something to a boss, etc etc., I need to focus on the floor, or on a door knob, etc. Otherwise I'll make nonsense.

Charles

Coldkick
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Jun 2010, 10:45 am

When I'm with people I often look at their eyes and then quickly avert them over and over. I just want them to know that I'm still listening, although I have gotten the "creeper" label at school when I do this :oops:

Assembly
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Jun 2010, 10:52 am

Quote:
I also can read faces, which is why I am curious. I fit like every other criteria for AS except these two very MAJOR things.

How do you know you're right ? :P I often 'know' what the other person is feeling and I score high on facial expression tests (higher than most nts actually), but then it turns out I'm actually wrong. I can also 'read' faces, but it's an analytical process it's not something I know or feel intuitively like most people do. This process however takes more time, so I'm missing out on critical information.

alexptrans
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2010, 11:09 am

Quote:
A. Qualitative impairment in social interaction, as manifested by at least two of the following:
(1) marked impairment in the use of multiple nonverbal behaviors such as eye-to-eye gaze, facial expression, body postures, and gestures to regulate social interaction
(2) failure to develop peer relationships appropriate to developmental level
(3) a lack of spontaneous seeking to share enjoyment, interests, or achievements with other people (e.g., by a lack of showing, bringing, or pointing out objects of interest to other people)
(4) lack of social or emotional reciprocity

So I guess that at least according to the official criteria, having no eye contact problems does not necessarily mean you don't have AS.

Kiseki
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2010, 11:10 am

Assembly wrote:
Quote:

How do you know you're right ? :P I often 'know' what the other person is feeling and I score high on facial expression tests (higher than most nts actually), but then it turns out I'm actually wrong. I can also 'read' faces, but it's an analytical process it's not something I know or feel intuitively like most people do. This process however takes more time, so I'm missing out on critical information.

That IS very possible. It could also be that I've learned these things over the years, seeing as how I'm 30 now. It's all so confusing. I can't remember back to many instances in my childhood.

And, as far as the eye contact issue goes, I find that if I feel some sense of connection or safety with the other person it is no problem. But I really don't want to look certain people in the eye. Like if something about them gives me the creeps for example. But aren't these things normal in NTs? I dunno.

Kiseki
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2010, 11:13 am

alexptrans wrote:
Quote:
A. Qualitative impairment in social interaction, as manifested by at least two of the following:
(1) marked impairment in the use of multiple nonverbal behaviors such as eye-to-eye gaze, facial expression, body postures, and gestures to regulate social interaction
(2) failure to develop peer relationships appropriate to developmental level
(3) a lack of spontaneous seeking to share enjoyment, interests, or achievements with other people (e.g., by a lack of showing, bringing, or pointing out objects of interest to other people)
(4) lack of social or emotional reciprocity

So I guess that at least according to the official criteria, having no eye contact problems does not necessarily mean you don't have AS.

I meet # 4 of those and, to a degree, #2.

Last edited by Kiseki on 30 Jun 2010, 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2010, 12:17 pm

The short answer. No.

The DSM was designed specifically to detect autism in *children*. That's the problem here. We learn to imitate normal social behavior as we grow older, it just happens more slowly for us than with NTs.

Once you reach an age of 30 or so the social gap between us and NT's is small enough that it isn't easy to detect using such concrete measures as the DSM. At least not when you interpret the criteria in a strictly literal way. In fact, our differences may be so subtle that the average NT wouldn't be able to tell us what it is that makes us different. This isn't because the difference is insignificant. It is significant. It just manifests itself largely in the realm of subconscious behavior.

It takes an experienced and intuitive psychiatrist to diagnose an adult. Even then it's not easy to get a diagnosis. It helps a lot to have someone who can relate how you were *as a child*. You might also have better luck getting a diagnosis of PDD-NOS rather than AS or autism.

ColdBlooded
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2010, 3:17 pm

Like everyone else said, it's possible just unusual. But, it's also common for people with ASD to overestimate how functional they are in different areas.. because to us what we do doesn't seem strange. So, before you're so sure that you have normal eye contact, you might want to ask family members or friends if they think you have normal eye contact. Some people with ASD even make too much eye contact and stare, probably because they're trying to do what they're "supposed to do" but end up doing it wrong still.

Vanilla_Slice
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2010, 3:48 pm

No problem with eye contact here and I never have. Looking into the eyes of a pretty woman is one of the finer things in life.

Vanilla_Slice

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2010, 4:49 pm

ColdBlooded wrote:
Like everyone else said, it's possible just unusual. But, it's also common for people with ASD to overestimate how functional they are in different areas.. because to us what we do doesn't seem strange. So, before you're so sure that you have normal eye contact, you might want to ask family members or friends if they think you have normal eye contact. Some people with ASD even make too much eye contact and stare, probably because they're trying to do what they're "supposed to do" but end up doing it wrong still.

I thought I was doing social pretty well, but my relatives say otherwise. I am almost 30, I guess to most people I just come off as kinda weird.

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2010, 5:06 pm

It's not common for AS-ers to have no eye contact problems. When you do look in people's eyes, are you just seeing eyes or what they're feeling? Because I think being able to make eye contact is different from getting meaning out of it.

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2010, 5:09 pm

MONKEY wrote:
It's not common for AS-ers to have no eye contact problems. When you do look in people's eyes, are you just seeing eyes or what they're feeling? Because I think being able to make eye contact is different from getting meaning out of it.

I don't know... when I first did Mind in the Eyes test, I did bad on it, even though I thought I knew what all the eyes meant. But now I score normal because I guess I found out all the answers. I did have years of social skills training as a kid, they might have taught me to look at eyes years ago, but I don't remember it. I'm trying to get my childhood psych reports again to see if there is any evidence of that.