If there was a cure for autism would you take it?

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

If there was a cure for autism, would you take it?
Poll ended at 03 Nov 2012, 3:35 pm
No 55%  55%  [ 18 ]
Yes 30%  30%  [ 10 ]
Hard to say because there isn't a cure right now. 15%  15%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 33

AlexWelshman
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Jun 2011, 3:35 pm

If there was a cure for autism, or even a drug just to help with some of the difficulties, but no cure; would you take it?

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2011, 3:52 pm

YES x100. I know some people like being autistic but I don't. Being autistic is what's got me stuck in a (don't) care home. However I highly doubt that we'll ever see a cure in our lifetimes.

Seph
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Jun 2011, 4:00 pm

Honestly, the only thing I care about is my "special interests". If I could keep those and become somewhat functional in this society, I'd take it. Well... my routine would be somewhat hard to let go of...

Hmm... Should an individual change to fit society or should society change to fit the individual? I think theoretically a more inclusive society is better. I'm not against changing though.

Oh and I like most of my sensory issues... :?

Last edited by Seph on 22 Jun 2011, 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

johnsmcjohn
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2011, 4:11 pm

Absolutely not. I am not proud of the way I am, but it is nonetheless the way I am. If I were "cured" I presume that I'd lose the things about myself I like. I understand that there's a tradeoff to be made and I accept the negatives with the positives.

TenPencePiece
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2011, 4:17 pm

The amount of times I've heard this question!

Personally, I would not take a cure, as it would take away a lot of my personality. However, if others wanted to take it, I wouldn't have a problem with them doing it.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2011, 4:19 pm

No. I'd rather keep my personality than take the cure.

AlexWelshman
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Jun 2011, 4:22 pm

I think the most they'll find is a drug to maybe not cure it, but just help some of the difficulties connect up to be better. I think you'd still have some autistic traits, but it'd no longer be a disability to you. I don't think it'd even work on those who are extremely high functioniing but I think people a little to a lot lower down could benefit from it, but it'd be pointless to cure some of these geniu's who have it anyway. I hate the way I find certain things harder than other people &'d love those difficulties to go but I'd like to keeep the core of autism for I like being different for normals booring. (No offense to any normal people)

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

22 Jun 2011, 7:12 pm

No, I would not take a cure for autism. I am satisfied with the way I am---autistic challenges and autistic gifts.

aspie48
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2011, 7:33 pm

no i think i am superior to most NTs

anikatheoddone
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Jun 2011, 10:07 pm

I don't like my Aspergers, but I wouldn't want to change myself. ESPECIALLY with any form of meds. I was raised not to like mental meds, so logically I take NONE. I learned to control it and act normal WITHOUT the use of meds. I want to become famous so I can tell people if their kid isn't SUPER autistic, THEY DON'T NEED MEDS!! !! !! ! I used to act autistic as a little kid, but now I can pass for normal. I don't need a cure.

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2011, 1:22 am

It’s the old “solve your problems by getting rid of what makes you who you are” dilemma. I’ll go the “no cure” route, even with all the problems AS has caused me.

Whosinabunker
Toucan
Toucan

23 Jun 2011, 2:00 am

This may sound corny, but I would have to take the Carlin-esque macho American route and say no. Without AS I never would've become who I am today and I'm finally starting to like who I am, and I'm starting to finally accept my Asperger's into who I am at the age of 18. You could say that failing socially is failing in society and society would look down on us, and they will, but what society wants, I will not give. What it wants would compromise who I am and what I believe, and I refuse to take part in the masquerade of being "normal" when I know I am not, I will not lie anymore, those who can still approach me as friends after that are the people I REALLY wanted to know anyway. But yeah...no I wouldn't take it =P

Madao
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Jun 2011, 2:35 am

Depends if it's a temporary or permanent cure. Temporary sure I'd take it for certain social situations like when I'm being forced to go to a family gathering. Permanent, no, I like my personality thank you very much. Plus other people like me just the way I am. As it should be.

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2011, 5:49 am

I am superior to Nt's so hell no.

DGuru
Toucan
Toucan

23 Jun 2011, 7:23 am

If it only cures the problems, yes. Otherwise, no.

kittie
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2011, 7:26 am

I don't know. I'd love to fit in with other people, but, my special interests mean the world to me. And I like the logical perspective on the world I have.

So I honestly don't know.