"What kinda kid dosen't have any friends?"

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2011, 10:04 pm

I'm watching the Invader Zim eppisode, "Bestest Friend" right now. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2prGdsc0 ... re=related

Zim is convinced his cover will be blown once the other kids at school discover he has no friends. and people will know he is an alien.

After watching this eppisode and some of the things people say in this eppisode (and even some other eppisodes) make me wonder if Jhoen Vasquez is on the spectrum somewhere or at least knows someone who is.

Anyway, what is it about friendship that people insist others have? I never wanted friends as a kid. I had friends who would eventualy dump me or would trick me into embarasing myself for their own amusement.

So I never really had any true friends until very recently. My current best friend is always so "busy" it makes me wonder if she trully is still my friend or if she is trying to avoid me. I'm such a loner and "busy" with my own projects it dosen't really bother me.

But when I was a kid, I only wanted friends to boss them around and lecture them about my special intrests. I never wanted "give and take"...whatever that is. I remember telling my mom I didn't want to make any friends one day when asking why I had to go to my stupid Headstart preschool program because the stupid adoption people insisted I learn "social skills". I was bullied in that program, not as bad as I was in third grade but still. Some social skills I learned. Anyway, I tried to tell my mom I didn't want friends and I was telling the truth but she didn't believe me and told me that everyone wants friends..."even mean 'ol boys". I was eventualy brain washed into thinking I needed them but all I really wanted to do was lecture them about my special intrests. I was always happier when I was by myself and my special intrests or pets. I really just wanted to stop being bullied and treated like a criminal at school.

Anyway, why do people think that others need friends like they need to breathe?

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

27 Jun 2011, 10:07 pm

I ask myself the same thing, all the time.

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2011, 10:13 pm

Obviously we do need (or should I say want) friends or else we wouldn't be here on WP right now. If we truly had no desire to socialize, I don't think we would be socializing over the internet.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2011, 10:15 pm

You call this socializing?! !

:roll:

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2011, 10:18 pm

SammichEater wrote:
Obviously we do need (or should I say want) friends or else we wouldn't be here on WP right now. If we truly had no desire to socialize, I don't think we would be socializing over the internet.

I don't socialize, I network. I joined WP to get answers, not friends.

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2011, 10:26 pm

Fnord wrote:

Well, if it's not considered socializing, then why is it called social media? :?

MagicMeerkat wrote:

I don't socialize, I network. I joined WP to get answers, not friends.

I suppose you are right. But I have noticed that many people join WP looking for friends.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2011, 10:35 pm

Fnord wrote:

You know I am beginning to suspect you are a R&D AI unit being tested by posting on internet forums?

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2011, 10:52 pm

I have one close friend and some other people I would consider friends and some who are aquantinces......and probably pleanty of enimies(not that I live anywhere near any of them). But growing up I rarely had friends and I had some 'friends' who where not friends. I got picked on a lot, but I also read a lot so I got to spend a lot of time ignoring reality. I did want friends because I did not enjoy being socially isolated and now I have a wall and have a hard time letting anyone in.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2011, 10:53 pm

I have one close friend and some other people I would consider friends and some who are aquantinces......and probably pleanty of enimies(not that I live anywhere near any of them). But growing up I rarely had friends and I had some 'friends' who where not friends. I got picked on a lot, but I also read a lot so I got to spend a lot of time ignoring reality. I did want friends because I did not enjoy being socially isolated and now I have a wall and have a hard time letting anyone in.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2011, 11:46 pm

Give and take means compromising. Like when I was a kid, I was also bossy. I also did not like my friends moving my Barbie furniture around in my doll house. I wanted it to be in the same spot and not have it be messed with. So my friends started asking me if they can just move the furniture and they will put it back the way I had it after they are done. I gave in and let them since they said they would put it back. That is an example of give and take.

A give and take for you would be in your childhood, you lecture your friends about your special interests, you let them lecture you about theirs.

I had friends growing up but lot of them used me or were mean to me and friends I had were friends in school they would be considered acquaintances today. I hated being alone and wanted friends but it was the socializing I had a hard time with. If we were doing what I liked doing or wanted to do, I did fine. Then in 6th grade, I learned to be alone and keep myself entertained.

The reason why people say other people need friends is because people need someone to talk to when the are upset and someone to vent to. Also if emergencies happen, they have someone to rely on to watch their kids, same as if they have doctor appointments to go to and they can't bring them with. Also it's to help them get a job because all work places ask for references. So they have their friends to put down as their reference.

draelynn
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2011, 12:12 am

cyberdad wrote:
Fnord wrote:

You know I am beginning to suspect you are a R&D AI unit being tested by posting on internet forums?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Aprilviolets
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2011, 12:23 am

I have 1 or 2 friends I talk to on the phone as they live to far away.
I did have one I used to visit and she used to visit me but she started making rude comments so I felt it was better not to see her as much.

Growing up I mainly had acquentinces(NOt sure if that's spelt right) people who just came and went.I probably frightened them off.
I do have a neighbour I could probably call a friend as she invites me in to her place to have a cup of tea and when she didn't have an air conditioner I invited her over so she could get away from the heat.

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2011, 12:27 am

League_Girl wrote:
Give and take means compromising. Like when I was a kid, I was also bossy. I also did not like my friends moving my Barbie furniture around in my doll house. I wanted it to be in the same spot and not have it be messed with. So my friends started asking me if they can just move the furniture and they will put it back the way I had it after they are done. I gave in and let them since they said they would put it back. That is an example of give and take.
A give and take for you would be in your childhood, you lecture your friends about your special interests, you let them lecture you about theirs.
I had friends growing up but lot of them used me or were mean to me and friends I had were friends in school they would be considered acquaintances today. I hated being alone and wanted friends but it was the socializing I had a hard time with. If we were doing what I liked doing or wanted to do, I did fine. Then in 6th grade, I learned to be alone and keep myself entertained.

The reason why people say other people need friends is because people need someone to talk to when the are upset and someone to vent to. Also if emergencies happen, they have someone to rely on to watch their kids, same as if they have doctor appointments to go to and they can't bring them with. Also it's to help them get a job because all work places ask for references. So they have their friends to put down as their reference.

I tried talking about what the other person was intrested in but it didn't work. Perhaps I talked too much but then other kids had already decided they hated me. I had a horrible teacher who was had a passion for making my life miserable and encouraged the others to bully me, unlike my saint of a first grade teacher who encouraged the other kids to be nice to me.

For my job refrences couldn't I just put down the names of my professors and mentors?