Am I the only one here who doesn't have sensory issues......

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Do you CURRENTLY have sensory issues with loud noise?
Yes 41%  41%  [ 15 ]
A little 16%  16%  [ 6 ]
No, but I have other severe sensory issues 8%  8%  [ 3 ]
No, but I have other mild sensory issues 32%  32%  [ 12 ]
No sensory issues 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 37

ocdgirl123
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2011, 11:08 pm

with loud noise?

I did a bit when I was younger, but not now.

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2011, 11:15 pm

I don't know. I don't like loud places; it makes it hard for me to concentrate; but it's definitely nothing that would make me have a meltdown, or any other sort of rampage. Only the most assholish of as*holes are capable of causing that.

LadySera
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Jul 2011, 2:26 am

I have learned to put up with most stuff but certain noises get on my nerves. Sometimes I leave the room. I don't like people touching me without warning. The thing that really drives me up the wall is when someone else is tapping or kicking on a couch or chair that Im sitting in. I want to punch them. lol.

When I was a child I always felt the tiniest bumps in my bed (a princess and the pea type of thing) and I always had to pick every tiny ball out of my socks or I couldn't wear them.

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2011, 3:31 am

LadySera wrote:
I have learned to put up with most stuff but certain noises get on my nerves. Sometimes I leave the room. I don't like people touching me without warning. The thing that really drives me up the wall is when someone else is tapping or kicking on a couch or chair that Im sitting in. I want to punch them. lol.

I'm alike. I always wondered why I can't stand tapping fingers. In fact, I suspect my repetitive behaviors like rocking or fidgeting with foot or similar movements are restricted just because I can't stand them, no matter who does it, me or someone else.

Loud sounds only bother me a little, since most of the time it's more the character and mere observability of a sound that makes me uncomfortable.

FearOfMusic
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2011, 10:49 am

SammichEater wrote:
I don't know. I don't like loud places; it makes it hard for me to concentrate; but it's definitely nothing that would make me have a meltdown, or any other sort of rampage.

Yeah I kind of feel like I can't really judge this sort of thing very well. I've complained enough at bars that my friend has had the bartender turn the music down on a few occasions... I don't really have problems with loud sounds if I like the sound, though a lower volume is usually nicer. I imagine everyone has problems with noise to some extent... I mean there is a point where things are too loud for anybody. On the other hand, thousands of people go to loud rock concerts and seem to enjoy themselves, if I am at one all I can think about is leaving.

draelynn
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2011, 11:48 am

Some loud noises go right through my skull like an ice pick. My daughter and I went to the local fair last night and we both did pretty good - only had to cover our ears a few times. Those times were so loud I was amazed that everyone else, including the infants were doing the same thing. There was one ride that had this air compressor that had that loud hissing, like steam releasing. I had to walk my kidling away from that one.

I have touch issues but those are related to fibromyalgia. I don't recall touch issues as a kid other than being uncomfortable with people in my space - a quick hug was okay but prolonged contact made me crawl out of my skin. Still does.

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In the Andes, counting the stars and wondering if one of them is home to another civilization

01 Jul 2011, 12:42 pm

Lol. Clicked "no sensory issues", clicked enter and it turns I'm the only one among at least 20 voters! I guess I'm the least aspie person who's voted so far, lol.

Anyway, the only "sensory" difference I have is that I can't stand it when vinyl is being rubbed/scratched, especially two pieces of it together. It makes my skin crawl. But, it's nothing that would cause a meltdown but it is highly annoying.

Last edited by swbluto on 01 Jul 2011, 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ani
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

01 Jul 2011, 12:44 pm

Yes and no.

I don't mind loud noise, I just can't hear anything! When there is any sort of auditory "chatter" (like a loud fan, or music playing loudish) I can't hear make out anything people are saying. I have perfectly good hearing, I just can't "pick out" other sounds in ambient noise.

I don't have any problem with being touched, in fact I love it. But the one sensory issue I have (used to be horrible when I was a kid) is that I can't stand noise or light when I am going to sleep. It is better now, but there is no way in hell I could have any light on in the room, music playing, or someone talking when I go to sleep.

When I was young, ALL lights in the house had to be out (including upstairs lights, little clock lights, computer light etc.) and all 3 of my family members had to be asleep before I could even think about falling asleep. Luckily I'm not that insane anymore, but I need darkness and silence to sleep.

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In the Andes, counting the stars and wondering if one of them is home to another civilization

01 Jul 2011, 12:47 pm

Ani wrote:
all 3 of my family members had to be asleep before I could even think about falling asleep. Luckily I'm not that insane anymore.

Same here. Compared to everyone else I know, I seem to be a tremendously light sleeper as I need guaranteed silence. The sound of any human activity makes me stay up.

syrella
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2011, 1:03 pm

I don't like to sleep when there is any activity going on... the exception being if I take a nap. If I nap, I can sleep almost anywhere. But if I'm going to sleep to sleep for the night, I need silence and darkness.

I will get up and turn off any electronics that are on. I hate the flickering lights when I'm trying to sleep (like from the computer). I also turn off clocks because I can't stand the tick-tick-tick noise. I still don't like loud noises.

The funny thing is that I don't remember having that many sensory issues as a kid, but I got them pretty bad when I got to middle school. I become hypersensitive to everything.