Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

mrsmith
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

01 Jul 2011, 12:02 pm

How Autistic do you have to be in the roughly 1% of the population considered to be ASD?

I am especially thinking of Intelligent Adults (me)

kerryt84
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Jul 2011, 12:45 pm

It doesn't matter how autistic you are; if you are autistic then you are in the 1%.

another_1
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2011, 12:58 pm

mrsmith wrote:
How Autistic do you have to be in the roughly 1% of the population considered to be ASD?

I am especially thinking of Intelligent Adults (me)

I'm not sure I understand the question.

Are you asking how severe a person's autistic symptoms/traits need to be to be diagnosable?

If so, I would have to say, severe enough to cause "clinically significant problems." A person could otherwise fit every criteria for diagnosis (intense, unusual interests; problems interpreting/using nonverbals; stimming; etc.), but if their issues don't cause negative consequences, they wouldn't qualify for a diagnosis. They still might be considered to fit the Broad Autistic Phenotype, having an autistic neurology but subclinical presentation.

mrsmith

01 Jul 2011, 1:40 pm

>Are you asking how severe a person's autistic symptoms/traits need to be to be diagnosable?

Perhaps its the same question, but I don't think you can diagnose an adult the way you can diagnose a child. So it is more how severe in somebody that would have been diagnosed as a child.

Also I don't think impairment would be used? At least not for a functioning intelligent adult?

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2011, 2:59 pm

1%? Surely the Autistic rate is just a tad higher than that. Maybe 3%, at least. Autism ain't rare. A few people I know seem socially awkward and strange, and sometimes I wonder with them, although Autism isn't necessarily the answer to people's unique awkwardness and quirks.

Mysty
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2011, 3:10 pm

As I understand it, the word "autistic" can mean having autism, or it can refer to traits of autism, in varying degrees.

The second post in this thread seems to use that first meaning. If you're autistic, you're on the autistic side of the border.

I'm thinking your question comes from the other use of the word autistic. That autisticness and NT-ness can come in various amounts or degrees. I've got some of both.

So, I understand the question as: what degree of autisticness does one need to have in order to be on the autistic side of the border?

I can't say I have an answer. I wouldn't even know in what terms to put an answer, where I to attempt it. I do think it's something that varies. It varies with who's drawing the border. And, perhaps, it varies with the situation one finds oneself in. Or with how one is functioning at a particular time.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

01 Jul 2011, 3:14 pm

Joe90 wrote:
1%? Surely the Autistic rate is just a tad higher than that. Maybe 3%, at least. Autism ain't rare. A few people I know seem socially awkward and strange, and sometimes I wonder with them, although Autism isn't necessarily the answer to people's unique awkwardness and quirks.

Current statistics say 1 in 110 people, so just under 1%.

There are more conditions that contribute to social awkwardness, and social awkwardness itself need not be pathologized.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2011, 3:57 pm

Verdandi wrote:
Joe90 wrote:

There are more conditions that contribute to social awkwardness, and social awkwardness itself need not be pathologized.

Yer, I suppose so. Autism isn't just the only neurological condition. There are plenty of other conditions and learning disabilities besides Autism. It's called neurodiverse. So I guess you're right.

Trust me to be in that one per cent! :(

SuperTrouper
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2011, 4:26 pm

I'm a little confused by your comment about intelligent adults. I'm a (very) intelligent adult, and I am moderately autistic. The two are not mutually exclusive by any means.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

01 Jul 2011, 6:50 pm

Joe90 wrote:
Yer, I suppose so. Autism isn't just the only neurological condition. There are plenty of other conditions and learning disabilities besides Autism. It's called neurodiverse. So I guess you're right.

Trust me to be in that one per cent! :(

Right there with you.

Tsukimi
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Jul 2011, 12:27 am

SuperTrouper wrote:
I'm a little confused by your comment about intelligent adults. I'm a (very) intelligent adult, and I am moderately autistic. The two are not mutually exclusive by any means.

I do not doubt it. But it's true that in intelligent adults recognizing a mild case of AS can be difficult since one has developed ways to cope. Of course it's not the case with everyone and there are very smart adults that are very autistic.

Tsukimi
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Jul 2011, 12:29 am

mrsmith wrote:
Also I don't think impairment would be used? At least not for a functioning intelligent adult?

Actually is required. It is silly because given the same neurology you can be impaired or not depending on other life conditions. But the criteria are made to decide who "needs support", not who is "neurologically different".

Mysty
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2011, 6:55 am

Tsukimi wrote:
mrsmith wrote:

Actually is required. It is silly because given the same neurology you can be impaired or not depending on other life conditions. But the criteria are made to decide who "needs support", not who is "neurologically different".

Likewise, homosexuality was (long ago now), removed from the DSM, not recategorized, because they aren't in the business of cataloging neurological differences. Only disorders. If you aren't impaired by it, it's not a disorder.

Tsukimi
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Jul 2011, 10:03 am

Mysty wrote:
Tsukimi wrote:
mrsmith wrote:

Likewise, homosexuality was (long ago now), removed from the DSM, not recategorized, because they aren't in the business of cataloging neurological differences. Only disorders. If you aren't impaired by it, it's not a disorder.

It makes sense. But then there are a lot of people who are definitely not NTs but not diagnosable on spectrum.

JurgenW

03 Jul 2011, 3:06 am

Verdandi wrote:
Joe90 wrote:

Milder cases without need for medical assistance would probably be unnoticed in the statistics. I am fully capable and sometimes even extremely capable in doing many practical and theoretical things, but when it comes to social stuff I am severely dysfunctional, but what statistic would see that, and relate it to autism?

mrsmith

03 Jul 2011, 3:41 am

In my case I have NVLD (The IQ profile) and clearly autistic traits. I am much more impaired by ADHD and something like Fibromyalgia than core Autistic issues.

I would like to have an idea to what degree I can say I am Asperger. For me somebody with ASD is somebody that would have been diagnosed as a child. The criteria I have seen is not so relevant to adults, also in my case it would not be so clear what is ADHD and ASD.

I think i should actually qualify for ASD diagnosis from my ADHD (DSM IV OF V?), but that wouldn't mean much for me.
(I am sure it is an ASD type of ADHD, but I think that doesn't mean I am in the 1%)