Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

02 Sep 2006, 12:27 am

There are smells that don’t bother me but they bother lot of people, even NTs.
The following smells that don’t bother me are:

Unleaded gas
Skunks
Permanent marker
That spray stuff teachers use on the marker board to clean it

I can’t think of any others.

I have noticed those smells bother lot of people but I don’t mind them, in fact I love the smell of permanent markers and unleaded gas, and that spray stuff but I don’t go up to them and inhale it. I have read dangers of doing it. Does that mean I’m insensitive to some smells? I don’t know if others smell it more than I can smell it or they smell it just the same but it doesn’t bother me but bothers them more for some reason. I don’t know if this is an asperger thing.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2006, 12:35 am

Those particular smells are very recognizable to me, but they don't hurt me. I can't say whether I am hyper- or hyposensitive to them

Tim

Litigious
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2006, 4:42 am

I don't know how skunks smell, but those other smells are OK with me. 8)

Hazard
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

02 Sep 2006, 8:13 am

I like the smell of Unleaded fuel too, but so do a few other people I know, who are definitely NT. It might not be hyposensitivity to smells; instead it might just be a tolerance to smells which most people dislike. I might be wrong about this, but it's only hyposensitivity if you can stand all smells - but don't quote me on this.

overflow
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 Sep 2006, 9:32 am

I can tolerate just about any smell except perfumes.

superfantastic
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2006, 10:26 am

It's not the smells that bother me, it's when the source of the smell is hanging in the air (like when the air's thick with deodorant in the locker rooms, or with cigarette smoke; but the actual smells aren't sooo bad). But I might be hyposensitive to smell. A couple of times when someone was smoking pot in the park my mom tried to teach me to recognize the smell so I'd avoid it in the future, and I couldn't smell anything at all.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2006, 10:30 am

Locker rooms are nasty

Tim

superfantastic
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2006, 10:33 am

Tim_Tex wrote:
Locker rooms are nasty

Tim

Luckily I know go to swim class, which has less-crowded locker rooms. They're usually clean enough. But yeah, the floor's always wet and you can actually see the steam rising to the ceiling sometimes. And one of the toilets doesn't have a door any longer (ha, wonder how they managed to take it out of there unseen).

scrulie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2006, 1:26 pm

I'm very sensitive to chemical smells like perfumes and cleaning products which don't seem to bother others, but I really don't mind some animal smells that others hate, for example the smell of foxes. Natural smells are usually OK for me.

DirtDawg
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2006, 2:27 pm

I am super sensitive to any smells, but I don't mind many of the things that whip up a frenzy in groups of other people. I can smell who came to the house during the day, many times. Noxious chemicals, like used in photography or plating and imitation scents or flavorings do annoy me.

I seem to have not only a high sensitivity and can smell yuck a mile away, but also I have a high tolerance to things that make others hurl. I'm sometimes the only one who can handle cleaning up nasty stuff, like a liquified dog that died under my neighbor's porch.

waterdogs
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2006, 2:56 pm

Litigious wrote:
I don't know how skunks smell
they smell terrible

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2006, 3:04 pm

Smells aside, I've noticed I am unusually hyposensitive on my head area (not my face, but my head). I know many autties are so hypersensitive and have such problems that even brushing their hair or washing it can be utter agony. But I find I can pull on my hair very hard and find it either a neutral experience or even sometimes pleasant to feel the pressure, and it is much less sensitive to extreme temperatures than the rest of my body (I can wash my hair in ice cold water in the middle of winter and will only have to pause from time to time to let my hands warm up again, hehe).

My hands are the opposite and are probably the most sensitive area on my body.

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

krex
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2006, 3:07 pm

Skunks smell like burnig tires....I am not a fan

I do like the other smells you mentioned,exspecially the patrolium based(except plastic and rubber)
The worst smells are perfume,bleach,amonia,alot of the "deoderizing" products have an underbase smell of "chemicals" that are worse then the "natural pine...woody medows" smell they are supposed to have....yuck...makes me feel like I am choking...same with alot of "flavoring"used in processed foods...speggeteos smells like vomit....

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2006, 3:20 pm

I used to like the smell of gas stations (petroleum) when I was a kid. Now I don't.

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2006, 3:49 pm

At least the oil companies are not charging us to smell the gasoline

Tim

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2006, 3:49 pm

At least the oil companies are not charging us to smell the gasoline

Tim