Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Sanctus
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2012, 1:14 pm

I don't know if this is necessarily an AS trait, but maybe some of you know what I mean.

As long as I can remember I always seemed to "sympathize" with objects more than other people. Of course I know that they're not alive and don't have feelings. But I remember that, when I was a child, there was an ad on TV about some kind of furniture company. You could see someone sitting in his room with a pretty new lamp, and then the old, "ugly" lamp standing outside in the rain because it wasn't needed anymore. I guess this was supposed to be funny, but I remember that I almost started to cry because I felt so sorry for the old, lonely lamp. :lol:

In general, when I see objects being destroyed (like someone throwing his TV out of a window in a movie), I feel a rush of pity and sadness. Opposed to that, if I see a human being falling and hurting himself, I'm more like "meh".

Is this totally weird or do you feel the same?

persian85033
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2012, 1:21 pm

I feel the same way. I sympathize with objects more than people. I even sympathize with the air conditioning units. :? The one for the second floor doesn't turn off all summer! It works more than overtime.

"Of all God's creatures, there is only one that cannot be made slave of the leash. That one is the cat. If man could be crossed with the cat it would improve the man, but it would deteriorate the cat." - Mark Twain

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2012, 1:31 pm

Don't come to my house. You'll go into instant major depression.

My STBE was a stuff hound. I've been busting and tossing out all kinds of stuff for months now, and I'm not done yet. :twisted:

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2012, 1:34 pm

I have deep feelings for objects. I love them.

doordoctor
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2012, 1:45 pm

I am this way too, mostly about commercial door closers(the arm thing at top that pulls it closed after it is opened). i have been this way since I was 12. now 28, I still hate seeing good hardware tossed out.

SilkySifaka
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2012, 2:06 pm

I am like this also, and would have felt exactly as you did about the old, unwanted lamp. A few years ago in the UK there was a series of TV adverts that showed an unwanted mobile phone being laughed at because it was too old. I remember that made me very sad.

Last week I bought this cat toy which is in the shape of a mouse. I just didn't like the idea of it being all chewed and hurt. I thought about going back and buying all of them but I couldn't imagine how I would explain that to my boyfriend. Honestly, WP is the only place where I don't feel like a freak!

AnotherKind
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2012, 3:08 pm

Lol. I'm in love with my PC. One time I was thinking that I could make of my computer a robot with head, hands and legs and be friends :oops:
But I never felt a great sympathy for other objects. It sounds funny.

ianorlin
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2012, 3:11 pm

I actually miss my textbook for AP macroeconomics I wanted to go back and read it.

ReBabar
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

02 Nov 2012, 3:48 pm

Same here. Not only for objects though, for example I had to really make an effort to change my old cellphone company for a better company because I had the feeling I was wronging my old phone company if I did so...

Logicalmom
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2012, 5:03 pm

Yup. Very much. Example: If I were presented with two chairs to choose from, I would take the battered one over the 'perfect' one because I worry about its feelings being hurt. I'll take the one I think no one else would want. It just occurred to me as I typed this, maybe I am putting my 'self' onto the object? I don't know. But I sure don't love myself and I do love objects. I actually appalled ... or confused ... a therapist with this information one time.

Also, I thought I read a presentation of synesthesia is "objects have personalities" - anyone know anything about that?

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2012, 10:54 pm

Whenever I go to the thrift store, I always buy a plushie or two because I feel bad that it ended up there and I worry that no one else will buy it.

Also, whenever I watch a DVD of one of my favorite movies, I kiss its case. Though I'm not sure if that really counts as loving the object itself, because it is more of a symbolic gesture of my love for the characters in the movies than anything else.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2012, 11:12 pm

I felt that way when the last of London's Routemasters were taken off the 159. Those beautiful buses were going to be left to rust. I wanted to give Ken Livingstone a piece of my mind. I drove everybody here on WP nuts for an entire year, ranting on about it. It didn't end very well in Early 2007.

There's been a happy ending, though. I dropped my punkishness and became interested in all things London and The 60s once more. My love for Routemasters also came back. :)

Aprilviolets
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2012, 11:51 pm

We just had hard rubbish collection I couldn't bear watching things being put through the crusher in the truck I didn't want to see my old TV getting put in.

chris5000
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2012, 2:05 am

its part of the reason I dont like to get new things as it replaces the old things

Dirtdigger
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2012, 6:35 am

doordoctor wrote:
I am this way too, mostly about commercial door closers(the arm thing at top that pulls it closed after it is opened). i have been this way since I was 12. now 28, I still hate seeing good hardware tossed out.

I am this way about backhoe loaders. When I see operators abusing backhoe loaders, I actually go into meltdowns and go into a rants in my replies. Anymore I try to avoid videos where backhoe loaders are being abused because of my meltdowns.

qwertyuiop1994
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Nov 2012, 7:01 am

I don't feel empathy with them I just hate getting rid of my old things and replacing them with something new.